Indy wank from the late 90s/early 2000s.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea for a thread, and the big shouts are already taken.

On a slightly different tact, HOW FUCKING MUCH were Power Slam on Scott Vick's cock when he was in OVW or Memphis or wherever it was? It seemed like every bastard month they would mention what he'd been doing whilst waiting for the call up. "Billy Gunn is set to return in October, he may be involved in the Austin hit and run story......The Rock's meeting with team behind "The Mummy" was said to be encouraging......Scott Vick nipped out to Asda to buy a bag of apples.....Bret and Vince have had a chat on a bench...." and the like.

I'd not been that switched on to WCW between 98 and 2000, so I was pretty excited to see what we were getting with this huge signing. Then we all went fucking spastic when "Katie Vick" was named. He's coming lads, he's coming!!! Never came. Thanks a lot Power Slam.

Worst indy memory? Reckless Youth being repackaged as "The Technician" Tom Carter. He was obviously thinking:

Wow I never knew they were one and the same. The name Tom Carter rings a bell from an episode of ROH on the Wrestling Channel which seemed to be on repeat all the time back in the day.

• Paid Members

01.jpg

Bobby Quance. Popped in a few CZW shows. Fucked off to serve in Iraq as presumably it was a safer working environment.

magicchad.jpg

Chad Collyer. Short arsed, angry looking Benoit-alike. Did pretty much every indie show going. Does lots of stuff over here now, I think.

220px-Xavier_2007.jpg

Xavier. Former ROH champion - amusing in that he was largely hated by ROH fans, which made me like him. Think he does MMA now.

• Paid Members

Powerslam magazine always went on about names in developental. As Ian said Reckless Youth was a name that cropped up way back in early 2000 and I kept tabs on his progress. I even created him on WWF No Mercy even though I had never seen him, and thought he was heading for the big time

Turns out I was wrong about that.

• Paid Members

I can't remember this guys name but it was either from Michaels class of 99 or maybe a few years later in OVW but there was a guy to this day everybody who trained with him raved about but he got dropped.

Maybe there is two of them one from each actually because i think Daniel Bryan mentions somebody from Michaels camp in a 2001 interview who he said was incredible and would become a future star but i didn't recognize the name. Then i think Nick Dinsmore mentions somebody who would of been in OVW a couple of years later.

Edit.

Reckless Youth must be the guy Daniel Bryan talks about but their was still another guy in OVW.

Rob Conway was another guy that was seemingly in WWF developmental for years on end. His name cropped up in Powerslam's On The Road section a fair bit. Was he not destined for big things? I didn't watch wrestling between about late 2003 to about 2007. Why did he fail?

Rob Conway was another guy that was seemingly in WWF developmental for years on end. His name cropped up in Powerslam's On The Road section a fair bit. Was he not destined for big things? I didn't watch wrestling between about late 2003 to about 2007. Why did he fail?

Because, like most of them, he was shit. I remember Conway being heralded as the next big thing, same as Dinsmore and Gunner Scott. And then they turned up and Dinsmore was worthless without Eugene, and Conway and Gunner were just awful.

• Paid Members

Because he wasn't really that great, not particularily charismatic and had one of the shittest crowd sapping entrance themes of all times.

I heard shit loads about Chad Collyer and was really dissapointed to see he was a right fucking short arse.

Mike Modest & Donavon Morgan actually turned up in TNA in early 2006 losing to LAX. They wrestled as 'The Border Patrol' which I imagine got Buddy Lee Parker so angry he made everyone in his house lie on there backs and say they were cockroaches.

EDIT: Pictos nipped it in the budd while I was typing this.

I can't remember this guys name but it was either from Michaels class of 99 or maybe a few years later in OVW but there was a guy to this day everybody who trained with him raved about but he got dropped.

Maybe there is two of them one from each actually because i think Daniel Bryan mentions somebody from Michaels camp in a 2001 interview who he said was incredible and would become a future star but i didn't recognize the name. Then i think Nick Dinsmore mentions somebody who would of been in OVW a couple of years later.

Edit.

Reckless Youth must be the guy Daniel Bryan talks about but their was still another guy in OVW.

The guy from the Michael's class of '99 is probably Shooter Schultz (who is mentioned earlier in the thread), as for the other guy, the late Steve Bradley?

• Paid Members

Edit.

The guy from the Michael's class of '99 is probably Shooter Schultz (who is mentioned earlier in the thread), as for the other guy, the late Steve Bradley?

Yeah most of these guys got culled around June 2001 when the developmentals needed places for the WCW talent they couldn't be fucked with. Schultz, Bryan, The Mean Street Posse and some others.

1.jpg

Vic Capri

Remember him being all over the mags at one point. When I was about 13 or 14 (about 10 years ago) I went to a show in Maysfield leisure centre in Belfast which had him, Daniels, Modest and Doug Williams involved. Never heard or read too much about him after that but remember thinking he must have been a big deal if he was all over the mags. Cant remember much of his match that night either right enough.

Archived