Indy wank from the late 90s/early 2000s.

IANdrewDiceClay

Was IWCCW ever shown over here? I have a vague memory of seeing it randomly on in the early 90s. I'm sure an episode of Global got shown once as well, as I remember seeing Big Bully Busick on it before he came to the WWF.

Don't know about IWCCW, but ICW aired over here (on terrestrial TV as opposed to Satellite). Global briefly aired on the old Screensport channel, where they showed a couple of the tournaments to crown the companies first champions.

Don't remember seeing ICW but I do remember a shortlived group called GWA (Global Wrestling Alliance) that had Bob Roop on commentary. It was shown on Lifestyle and looked very low-rent compared to WWF. I never took it seriously, I'd probably appreciate it more now.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't remember seeing ICW but I do remember a shortlived group called GWA (Global Wrestling Alliance) that had Bob Roop on commentary. It was shown on Lifestyle and looked very low-rent compared to WWF. I never took it seriously, I'd probably appreciate it more now.

In the late 80s, WWF International Challenge used to air in the early hours once a week on regional TV. After they stopped showing it they continued to air shows from a host of other promotions, including mid 80s Mid-Atlantic, ICW (Sullivan, Lewin, Fallen Angel, Mulligan, Savoldi era), Dusty's PWF (with DDP on commentary) and the Global promotion you refered to (it also featured the likes of Deathrow, the Soul Patrol, Dr Red Roberts, Norman Smiley, Col. Kirschner etc).

CM Punk is such a fucking nerd. Live Journal? All you who are fans of his should really rethink that. He actually signs off with "XpunkX". Total dweeb.

Friday, April 29th, 2005

3:07 pm

I fucking quit.

Nothing fucking matters. Not all the hard work, not all the miles and sleepless nights.

Nothing. God fucking damnit. It's not right. fuck. It's so not fucking right.

I miss you Chris.

I really fucking miss you.

FUCK.

XpunkX

Awesome find Butch!

I like this though from that blog:

Harley Race, eight time NWA World Heavyweight Champion and Hall of Famer, was the guest on In Your Head Wrestling Radio this past Wednesday. When ask which young wrestler today he would like to wrestle, Race said either CM Punk or Trevor Murdoch. Calling Punk and Murdoch "fantastic young guys," Race went on to compare Punk to Shawn Michaels, saying Punk's "as gifted as Shawn Michaels was in his time." When ask if he thought Punk would succeed in WWE, Race said yes, if WWE doesn't throw any roadblocks in his way. He conceded that Punk's size will work against him in WWE, but pointed out that Michaels had the same problem and overcame it. If Punk's given an opportunity, Race said, "they'll see his work is so good and they'll forget the size thing."

Harley knows his onions. Apart from the Trevor Murdoch thing, obviously.

Harley knows his onions. Apart from the Trevor Murdoch thing, obviously.

Are we sure he's actually paying any attention to the WWE? Punk's been given quite a few good opportunities.

And Trevor's awesome.

• Paid Members
6yilfr.jpg

Brody Steele.

Part of a group called the Kardinal Sinners that also once included current TNA champ Bobby Roode i believe. Big dude, with not a whole lot of talent. Was involved in a big way in an indy wrestling reality show, which featured on TWC and covered the inner workings of the wrestling business in a candid manner, while also showing the actual shows. An interesting experiment, it was actually a pretty decent watch.

For some reason, I remembered this guy the other day but couldn't for the life of me remember his name. I thought her certainly had something going for him when I saw him on TWC back in 2005ish. I wonder what he's doing now.

He's actually been a regular tourer with Brian Dixon's All Star Wrestling over here for the past few years.

• Paid Members

Anyone remember when Nigel McGuinness was considered the shittest wrestler on the planet? Like really fucking rotten. I never read a good thing about him, and thought I'd discovered a gem when I first saw him and thought he was brilliant. Little did I know he was touted as one of the premier wrestlers on earth by the time I started watching him, and the general opinion was that he was great. But around 2003/2004 time, you couldnt read a thing about him where he wasn't torn to shreds.

We've had a few slow starters over this part of the world. Sheamus and Magnus were considered especially terrible as well, compared to how good they are now.

• Paid Members
Anyone remember when Nigel McGuinness was considered the shittest wrestler on the planet? Like really fucking rotten. I never read a good thing about him, and thought I'd discovered a gem when I first saw him and thought he was brilliant. Little did I know he was touted as one of the premier wrestlers on earth by the time I started watching him, and the general opinion was that he was great. But around 2003/2004 time, you couldnt read a thing about him where he wasn't torn to shreds.

I think Bryan Alvarez has talked about seeing Nigel in HWA, thinking he was utterly hopeless and that he didn't have a chance of making it.

Proved him wrong with his huge run in the WWE then. I mean his title run in TNA. I mean his commentary in ROH.

• Paid Members

Just in case anyone's not heard the story, during McGuinness's early, awful days, he was working for All Star and the gimmick was that the ring announcer would shout "Nigel McGuinness" during the match and the crowd were meant to respond "He's in it to win it!"

Given how bad a match at Croydon was, Dean Ayass persuaded the group he was with to all instead shout "Go to the finish!"

The Global Wrestling Alliance was somewhere between wacky and shit. It wasn't actually designed to draw any money as such. Instead the idea was to get it just big enough to run an IPO (aka float it on the stock market) and make a shitload of cash out of investors who'd heard wrestling was big business.

Just in case anyone's not heard the story, during McGuinness's early, awful days, he was working for All Star and the gimmick was that the ring announcer would shout "Nigel McGuinness" during the match and the crowd were meant to respond "He's in it to win it!"

Given how bad a match at Croydon was, Dean Ayass persuaded the group he was with to all instead shout "Go to the finish!"

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten all about "Go to the Finish" Nigel McGuinness. It was the way he'd clap along with the crowd while simultaneously be 'selling' a sleeperhold that got me. But fair play to him, the next time I saw him, several years later, he was great.

Archived