The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I have no problem with people ordering well done meat, that's their prerogative. But have well done rump. Porterhouse loses all of it's nuance and flavour treated this way.

Agreed. I like mine rare or medium-rare, depending on the cut.

Talking of steak, I've mentioned this place before, but I cannot recommend it enough - Flat Iron Steak in Soho, near Regent St. Called thus because they use the "flat iron" cut (apparently British butchers call it the "top blade") - it's traditionally seen as a low quality cut, so is sold quite cheaply, but this place uses a technique discovered at the University of Nebraska to cook it, and it makes it as good as any rump you might ever have. And because this style of cooking hasn't caught on yet, it's cheap - a tenner for a good steak's a pretty good deal, I think.

Only one problem with the place - they don't do reservations, it's all walk-in.

I've always heard that. But, when I was a younger, more drunk guy I used to always end up frying some chops of something when I was pissed and according to witness statements would fry the thing for like a minute before eating it with my bare hands. And I never seemed to have any ill effects.

Don't try this at home etc.

You must have a stomach like a goat's!

What I want to know is if anyone's had a cronut yet.

I have, they're good - depending on the baker. I've had mostly good ones, where the lightness of the pastry, the buttery flavour and sweetness make a delicious combination. They're also moist as well - bad ones tend to be very dry, overly sugary (though you can get around this by having them with a cup of coffee).

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

The word cronut reminds me of this Cadbury cream egg doughnut thing going around - has anybody tried one of those? I want to make some this weekend...

This thread is making me really hungry this afternoon, can't wait to get home tonight.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Awards Moderator
What I want to know is if anyone's had a cronut yet.

Made some last year. They're OK. Would rather have a regular donut tbh.

Pork is very risky to not cook properly.

Depends. Tesco value pork that's gone past the best before? Well done please. Gloucester Old Spot hung for two weeks? Wibbly and pink please.

• Paid Members
I've been to flat iron, it was awesome, a really different eating experience, they only have like 4 things on the menu but it's all really well done Definitely recommend it but try not to go when it's full of suits.

If you catch them on a good day, they'll sometimes have a special you can choose as an alternative to the main flat iron. First time I went, it was Kobe Wagyu, but, naturally, I was there to try the flat iron, so didn't bother.

EDIT: Their beef-dripping-fried chips are the fucking business.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
Carbomb (or any London people) have you ever been to Meat People on Essex Road? Going there on Valentines, hopefully a good choice?

http://www.meatpeople.co.uk/

Not yet, but really want to go! If I'm not mistaken, they're a branch of MeatLIQUOR in Hoxton, which is a great, great place - meat and alcohol, what's not to like? They also have MeatMISSION, which I've not been to yet, but I hear has had great reviews. If you can put up with all the hipsters, it should be a good experience.

Well Done with a steak :(

Rare or Medium- Rare here, would try Blue, just once, but everywhere here is too scared to cook it, and Im not sure I wouldnt give myself foodpoisoning. Had a fantastic T-Bone the other week. Did the whole leaving out to room temp, salt and pepper both sides, steaming hot skillet for about 3 mins each side as was about an inch thick. Melt in the mouth heaven

Deffo agree with value Tortilla's the Sainsburys ones are the top of the shop in that respect. Will also add value garlic bread as something that is often better than it's pricier counterpart.

Finally, back to the kitchen. That pheasant dish I mentioned previously went really well and the cheese and chive mash offset the sweetness of the cranberry and port sauce.

However another question. I did a vodka pasta back from scratch ages ago. However Im certain I didnt use any tomatoes in it so was a vodka cream pasta bake with peppers veg and a crushed crisp/cheese top. My mind has got it that the vodka will split the cream, Ive not gone insane on that score, have I?

Was thinking Bay Leaf, Salt, Pepper,Cream, Chicken Stock, Vodka for the sauce, penne for the pasta? Oven for 30 mins or so, and happy days

Also what best to serve it with? Salad?

• Paid Members

Mrs SiMania bought one of those soup makers that are basically pressure cookers with an in built heating element and blender. She was working late tonight so I opened it, fired in a chopped up butternut squash, a sweet potato, stock, a bit of coconut cream and a large pinch of curry powder..........

Amazing, looking forward to trying some new recipes. Any ideas? Ideally vegetarian as she doesn't eat meat and doesn't want meat in it.

• Paid Members
Mrs SiMania bought one of those soup makers that are basically pressure cookers with an in built heating element and blender. She was working late tonight so I opened it, fired in a chopped up butternut squash, a sweet potato, stock, a bit of coconut cream and a large pinch of curry powder..........

Amazing, looking forward to trying some new recipes. Any ideas? Ideally vegetarian as she doesn't eat meat and doesn't want meat in it.

Butterbeans

Chickpeas

Onions

1 tsp each of: garam masala, ground cumin (sometimes sold as jeera)

Fresh coriander

1 tomato, quartered