The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

I have some pork loins which are coming to the end of their fridge life, so I intend to use the meat (cut up into little cubes) in a curry. How should I actually cook the pork though? Fry it then chop it up and put it with the sauce? Or will it go dead tough that way and not

Fry it a little then bang it in the sauce and let it cook in there. Make sure you use A LOT of mushrooms.

Aint no mushrooms in a Freebird curry. 2 scotch bonnets, 2 bird eye chillies and a nice bit of finely chopped orange bell pepper are the only vegetables I use. I did as you said though, lightly fried the pork, then chopped it into small pieces and whacked it into the sauce to round off the cooking. I made at lest double the amount that I'll actually be able to eat, and with the spice level I make these things at, no one else in the house would like them, so it looks like I'm having curry for breakfast tomorrow too!

Edit - Well, I think I over did the pork a little, as it was a bit chewy. The chicken I also had in there was perfect though. As for spice, I think I put less fresh chilli in than I needed. I'm used to making single portion sizes, and didn't really up the spice ante much for this double portion effort. All in all very tasty though, and I do have quite a nice, glowing afterburner sensation going on right now.

Edited by Richie Freebird

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Nice little bump, but there you go.

I'm making a pork dish tonight and the recipe says to use 100ml of cider in the marinade. Any cider that works best? Obviously I'm not gonna stick some Mixed Fruit Koppaberg in there, but recommendations are welcome.

Ta.

Savannah Dry, if you can. Depends if you want a sweet or dry casserole. I use Malvern Gold when I can get it or the aforementioned Savannah Dry. Henney's Frome Valley is also a good shout if you dont want a sweet taste, but cidery to go with the pork and whatever else you are doing it with.

• Paid Members

Poncy, but sugar snaps stir-fried in toasted sesame oil with crushed garlic, ginger and flaked almonds are very tasty, healthy and incredibly quick to make.

I love sugar snaps - crispy, sweet and their flavour goes very well with the garlic & ginger. The almonds give them an extra crunch.

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend bought me some bhut jolokia chillies for Christmas and I've just used a whole one for the first time in a chicken pasta stir fry thing. Now I like blistering hot food, but this is absolutely unbelievable. I feel like I've swallowed a forest fire.

Anyone have any recipes/recommendations on how to use these better? Like I said, I like spicy food, but I also like to taste it and not just experience a nuclear explosion on my tongue.

• Awards Moderator
My girlfriend bought me some bhut jolokia chillies for Christmas and I've just used a whole one for the first time in a chicken pasta stir fry thing. Now I like blistering hot food, but this is absolutely unbelievable. I feel like I've swallowed a forest fire.

Anyone have any recipes/recommendations on how to use these better? Like I said, I like spicy food, but I also like to taste it and not just experience a nuclear explosion on my tongue.

Mince finely and keep steeped in a jar of olive oil. Then you can scoop out a little at a time to add to things until you find a bearable amount!

Or go the other way: dry them out in a 100

I am pleased to be getting to work at the East Renfrewshire Food & Drink festival which takes place from 29-31 August this year. I'm going to be helping with the event set up and will be hands on with the promotion. Expecting to have lots of fun working on this.

Edited by dangerously420