NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I'm not against him being a top guy but I don't think he has that x-factor. But others do, so that's good for him. It's like you said, he's a solid hand but I don't think he has the versatility or the big stage charisma to carry being a top, top guy. But he's still learning so many aspects of the WWE game so that may come.

• Paid Members

A small point, but just noticed skimming back that the Takeover opener was announced as a "Women's Division Match". Don't know if it was an error or a deliberate change, but I'm reasonably sure they've still been using "Divas Match" even though it's the Women's Championship.

I'll be honest, it's pissed me off for years that they decided, whenever it started, to begin specifically annoucing "this is a Divas match" when there's just no need for it. "This contest is scheduled for one fall" is all that needs saying. Irrational, maybe, but I don't see why they started highlighting "lasses now." Unless it was to give people chance to go for a wee.

The triple H opening we are Nxt grates on me. Yeah the smart fans all know he's the behind the scenes guy, but breaking ground makes out he isn't around a lot, and raw makes him out as top heel. The on screen Nxt role isn't needed to me.

Chalk me up as one who isn't completely sold on Balor too.

He is a great wrestler and has great matches that I enjoy, but this is the most talented era WWE as a whole have ever had in-ring wise. Outside of his entrance, he doesn't have much that stands out.

I just can't find an emotional connection with him, I've never felt myself wanting to will him on when his opponent has the upper hand - unlike other crowd favourites such as Zayn or Bayley. He's (a not as talented) Cesaro but with a better entrance.

The triple H opening we are Nxt grates on me. Yeah the smart fans all know he's the behind the scenes guy, but breaking ground makes out he isn't around a lot, and raw makes him out as top heel. The on screen Nxt role isn't needed to me.

Yeah its starting grate on me now as well. Isn't as bad as when Stephanie was trying to latch onto the Divas toss like some sort of Parasite though.

All in all a good show if a little on the predictable side.

They missed a trick by not having Bayley body slam Nia Jax. Crowd would have lapped that up.

I wouldn't say Finn's as bad as Cesaro, but he's definitely closer to him than to the likes of Zayn, Owens and Ambrose. But he has the advantage of the very marketable look, and that can go a long way. It depends on his development and their patience, too. He's got a long way to go to be any kind of difference-maker on the big roster, and if they decide they want their money's worth and just throw him out there it'll be a waste. But if they spend another year or so working on his faults instead of leaving him to BEST INDIE BRAND EVARR, he might end up being a cash cow.

• Paid Members

They missed a trick by not having Bayley body slam Nia Jax. Crowd would have lapped that up.

I'm not sure I'd have believed that, to be honest, looking at their relative sizes.

One thing that really stood out to me is that you will often see a crowd pop in unison for a popular WWE wrestler when he wins, but you rarely see people visibily giving a shit about somebody losing.

Watching the end of the Tag Team Title match last night, it was interesting to see EVERYBODY in the audience be completely gutted when that 3 count went down.

It struck me after the Crews/Corbin match ended that I don't like Crews, but I hadn't realised it until then.

I never saw any of his pre-WWE matches but I was excited to see him do some flashy moves in his Brooklyn debut and thought he was going be a great addition to the roster.

But other than the Title match with Balor a few weeks ago (which was fairly short) I haven't seen him have a really good match yet despite being on TV regularly for the past 4 months.

• Paid Members

Realised last night that one of the things I like best about NXT is the fact that no-one has an entrance video that's just spliced together images of them in the ring with the occasional name graphic. They're simpler, but everyone has their own theme and I love them. Even if Dash & Dawson's is just flaming wordart still.

They do their graphics in house which means they don't usually make full entrance videos for their guys and just use templates you can buy online or get for free. Its why you get some proper shit like the Dash / Dawson Word Art or The Enzo Cass one (which is a really widely used one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW_Q1XwbtDw) Most of them are so poorly done that the fonst are missing and they default back to ariel and look like the entrance videos on No Mercy on the N64

• Paid Members

I'm not against him being a top guy but I don't think he has that x-factor. But others do, so that's good for him. It's like you said, he's a solid hand but I don't think he has the versatility or the big stage charisma to carry being a top, top guy. But he's still learning so many aspects of the WWE game so that may come.

Out of interest, who DO you think is top guy worthy? We know you're not Romans biggest fan and you don't think Balor has the it factor to be the man, but what would you say makes a top guy? I'm not having a dig or anything, just genuinely interested in your views.

• Paid Members

Out of interest, who DO you think is top guy worthy? We know you're not Romans biggest fan and you don't think Balor has the it factor to be the man, but what would you say makes a top guy? I'm not having a dig or anything, just genuinely interested in your views.

Sami Zayn has IT. Kevin Owens has IT. I can Corbin having it, and Cass having it when he splits from Enzo in 2021, but they don't have it right now. It's the intangible feeling that you'll follow them wherever their story takes them. It's hard to describe :/

I think my issue with Balor is that I dont 'get' this inner demon thing. He doesn't come off as a demon, just some nervous Indy wrestler with body paint. That's not to say he isn't fantastic cos he has talent in spades.

I'd prefer a proper character, something I can relate to. Get rid of the demon and have him as a kickass leather jacket wearing mofo! He could always do a Muta and have an alt gimmick as an aside but it would have to be done right. That way we could continue with the Demon too.