Raw Is Jericho *Raw 9/1/12 - Discussion Thread*

Cobra1000

Raw was pretty good.The show was totally stolen by Brodus though. Just wonderful. A perfect, fun, entertaining larger than life character.

Totally stole our thunder though Martyn, that was the plan for Walter this year!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Punk seems to be in a weird place just now, as said hes not been given much chance to establish himself as a top guy due to weird booking, finishes, and feuds.

A clean win (or even just a win) over Triple H at NOC might have continued his momentom, and not getting any revenge on Nash (even a throwaway match on Raw) is/was annoying, Miz and Del Rio had lost steam since Mania so neither were much of a threat.

As for Raw a promo or something between Punk/Ziggler would have been good to further things cos so far the matches are great but the angle is cold

No doubt the usual muppets will say he's not a star, he looks generic :confused:, has shit hair, promo's etc...

I'm loving the new jericho gimmick, at first I thought last week was just a parody of his last return now I'm getting the sarcasm he's putting into it and loving the way he's doing a 'I can play this crowd' kind of thing. It's obvious he's building up to his heel persona properly but I'm so glad he's come back as interesting character rather than last time coming back face and then just going heel anyway.

The Jericho stuff was brilliant again, especially considering the crowd plays into it, although I can't decide if they're doing it in a clever way or if they were just really thick.Brodus - what can I say that hasn't already been said?Well, other than saying that I think they should sack Teddy Long as Smackdown GM, stick him in a pimp hat, and have him holla holla his way down the ramp with Brodus as his manager! Imagine the moves they'd have together!

• Paid Members

I like Jericho's gimmick. I dont get it at all, but its fun. Its to early to judge. Its a wierd one, because those fans dont want to boo him do they? I originally thought they were going to make him punish the fans with an over the top smiley act, where he's loving himself because he thinks they love him. Sort of like he did in his early run (which ironically get him cheers as well). I cant see how a heel Jericho is going to work at the minute. People want to like him.One thing about Jericho, though. He's a naturally likable bloke when he's a face, because he knows how to push the audiences funny bone. He's hard to dislike when he's being so wacky. He totally gets the WWE audience. Thats why he's probably the best out there at the minute. He can adapt to any audience, heel or face.

I like Jericho's gimmick. I dont get it at all, but its fun. Its to early to judge. Its a wierd one, because those fans dont want to boo him do they? I originally thought they were going to make him punish the fans with an over the top smiley act, where he's loving himself because he thinks they love him. Sort of like he did in his early run (which ironically get him cheers as well). I cant see how a heel Jericho is going to work at the minute. People want to like him.One thing about Jericho, though. He's a naturally likable bloke when he's a face, because he knows how to push the audiences funny bone. He's hard to dislike when he's being so wacky. He totally gets the WWE audience. Thats why he's probably the best out there at the minute. He can adapt to any audience, heel or face.

Totally agree with that, I'm getting the feeling he may be building to some sort of feud with cena or punk, where by he grills them for loosing touch with the audience because he's shown how easy it is. I agree people do want to like him, but I think Jericho is and always will be a better heel.

The Kane/Cena/Ryder stuff certainly has me interested. If I had to guess, it'll end with Cena "Rising Above Hate" as always and Zack Ryder's stock being a bit higher, which is a fair enough ending if that's the way it goes. I'd like to see Ryder be the one to get a big win over Kane though.

I'm thinking the Cena/Ryder link will eventually see Cena turn on Ryder which should virtually guarantee the turn will be effective due to Ryder's popularity.He's given up a title shot for him & taken a beating trying to help him too so that could be the driving force behind it.

• Paid Members

Does anyone else think Ryder would be more over if he wasn't associated with Cena?I enjoyed him trying to get him on his Youtube show, as that was just a bit stupid, but now they've fully associated with each other it's almost like a section of the audience is losing interest in Ryder because they don't like Cena.

I'd say most of those fans are idiots then. Fans bloody love Cena, the only ones who boo him now even with more aplomb are the older fans who boo him because that's almost there gimmick. As well now WWE are encouraging boos with his new shirt line. Playing like a fiddle they are. Ryder would not be more over being not associated with Cena. Ryder being associated with Cena helps him get over with Cena's fans as well as establishing him as a more regular character on Raw.Nice to be again gents.

• Paid Members

Putting people on ignore on this forum is absolutely pointless as someone is always quoting said tit and taking the troll bait. Fuck's sake.It's a good job I'm in a good mood from the Brodus debut. Whoever it was who said he looked uncomfortable is way off the mark. He could not have looked MORE comfortable for a hideously ugly 400lb+ fat man doing a funky dancing gimmick if he possibly tried. He was brilliant. Fantastic swerve, and the second week of WWE trying something outlandish and it working perfectly.Great job by Jericho again, really enjoyed that. The only thing is that he got a bigger pop than last week and if he gets another great reaction next week then I can see them changing their plans slightly with him. Which would be a shame.Utterly pointless tag match, wasting Sheamus and Barrett's time sticking in a match with shitty Santino and Jinder Mahal. I hate Mahal even more because I know it's yet another opportunity for more casual xenophobia and cultural ignorance on the part of Lawler. I'm sure if he was British he'd have called him a Paki by now.Bryan v Kofi was largely a waste of time but they're doing this Bryan turn well - and they had to because as great as he is in most ways, he's never really won over the fans and his best way forward is as a chicken-shit heel. I've never really cared much for Kofi, to be honest, but he probably doesn't deserve to be treated like this probably just because Evan Bourne is a blabbermouth twat.All the Cena / Ryder / Kane / Eve stuff was pretty well done and filmed as well and it was a good advancement of the storyline. Eve has started giving me the raging horn as well so her involvement in this, and keeping her away from her terrible wrestling, is good by me. They might want to be reminded that Ryder is the US Champion, though, seeing as though they spent months on that storyline.The Miz / R-Truth stuff is too uneasy a mix of comedy and violence to really work for me at the moment. They need to decide if this is a proper hateful feud or a comedy one. Mixing the two isn't working at all. Ricardo's singing pop was magnificent, though. He's a good hand is Ricardo, more credit due there.The Punk v Swagger match was a strange one. They started off looking absolutely knackered and then, towards the end, seemed to find their second wind and it became pretty good. The botch finish was an odd one, that said........Michael Cole deserves LOADS of credit for selling it as a way to point Laurinaitis as the best choice to referee at the Royal Rumble. Whether it was meant or not and whether he ad-libbed or not, he did great. If he thought on his feet and came up with that, more power to him. He did fantastic and for all his current faults (hardly any of which were on show in this Raw, actually) that was a great piece of work.Overall, slow start but a pretty good Raw elevated to excellent solely off the back of, "MY BAD!"

Punk seems to be in a weird place just now, as said hes not been given much chance to establish himself as a top guy due to weird booking, finishes, and feuds.A clean win (or even just a win) over Triple H at NOC might have continued his momentom, and not getting any revenge on Nash (even a throwaway match on Raw) is/was annoying, Miz and Del Rio had lost steam since Mania so neither were much of a threat.As for Raw a promo or something between Punk/Ziggler would have been good to further things cos so far the matches are great but the angle is coldNo doubt the usual muppets will say he's not a star, he looks generic :confused:, has shit hair, promo's etc...

I think they are just giving Punk some filler / essential story lines to go through before they really push his main event angle vs. Laringitus [sic]. I.e. right now its all background stuff, but should come through pre mania. After all, Punk is currently champion, but really the story is going to heat up when Punk is chasing the title he was screwed out of, is out to get Laringitus, and possibly helps reveal the conspiracy (if it still exists).However I share your Triple H related frustration. Now I love the HHH character and am not one to lightly be a "hater" of the man. Hell I'm in the 1% who think Booker T vs. HHH at WM19 was the dog's bollocks, but I do feel that he "stole" Punk's big match.In the story you have a champion who was treated like shit by a old wrestler desperate for one last run... and SOMEHOW instead of leading to Nash vs. Punk, we get HHH vs. Punk and Nash vs. HHH. The real and natural feeling fued was Punk / Nash, and it was replaced by two matches that felt incredibly forced in comparison. Mind you I reckon come Mania this is really going to heat up. I believe there still is a conspiracy, that it involves Triple H, it somehow involves Cena / Rock, and that it's going to lead to a strong Punk vs. the conspirators fued post mania.

• Moderators

I hate Mahal even more because I know it's yet another opportunity for more casual xenophobia and cultural ignorance on the part of Lawler. I'm sure if he was British he'd have called him a Paki by now.

I mentioned in chat last night that there's something a bit uncomfortable about a character called "The Great White" smashing an Asian about.

Archived