Raw Is Jericho *Raw 9/1/12 - Discussion Thread*

Cobra1000

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Why? You've already got one Mark Henry heavy killer character. If you have two people doing the same thing, you've got one too many. If Husky Harris was to be brought up as a fat monster he'd do about 3 months then be on Superstars duty tagging with Michael McGillicutty and his do-rag.Instead of a pound shop Mark Henry who'd be pretty much done in a few months, they've got a fun character who'll be over like rover by the rumble.

It was colourful and fun and larger than life, and that's how I like my wrestling.

Me too. If it's good. Would you put Santino in that bracket? Because I find him absolutely hideous.
It was good though. And I would have put Santino in that bracket until about 18 months ago. If you don't like a hybrid between Dusty Rhodes, Ernest Miller, Flash Funk and Rikishi then you get no muffins in my house.
"Oh you didn't see that coming!" No, no I didn't, but I'm real glad I saw it arrive.Each time I watch it I love it more and more. You can tell he's loving it too, I bet this is the first time he's had a fun gimmick that isn't 'generic monster heel' and he's embracing it.

Why? You've already got one Mark Henry heavy killer character. If you have two people doing the same thing, you've got one too many. If Husky Harris was to be brought up as a fat monster he'd do about 3 months then be on Superstars duty tagging with Michael McGillicutty and his do-rag.Instead of a pound shop Mark Henry who'd be pretty much done in a few months, they've got a fun character who'll be over like rover by the rumble.

Fucking Mcgillicutty. Now there's someone who has just eschewed his genetics to descend into the mediocre. His segment with Alex Riley on NXT this week just showed how much of a gulf there is between those two in terms of personality.

• Paid Members

I liked Jericho not giving anything up and that they're showing some restraint with this. Slow burn is good.

I loved the Funkasaurus' debut, and it only took him a minute or two to liven up a crowd that had been dead for almost everything but Cena. He has the option to drop it and go monster heel at any time, all they need to do is constantly stress how dangerous he is and that people shouldn't be fooled just because he likes to have a good time. For all the funky antics he's still a scary motherfucker with deadly looking offense. As has been pointed out as well, he seemed to be having the time of his life doing it and you have to love that if nothing else about it.

Pantomime villain Kane creeping out from behind the door made me laugh out loud. All the Kane/Cena/Ryder stuff was stupid as hell, but none of it really offended me aside from Eve Torres being terrible. Is she always terrible? Kane attacking both the Cena fans and Cena haters was a decent idea but his promo was pretty dull on the whole. A small thing, but when Cena ran in to interrupt him I'd have preferred them not to play his music. Makes it feel a bit more spontaneous if the guy just runs out there and starts fighting. I'm sure they used to do that more in the attitude era but maybe that's rose tinted specs.

Do people normally care about Daniel Bryan a bit more than tonight? I was hoping to use this show to gauge how over people were generally and stuff but this crowd didn't give me much to go on. I understand he hasn't been booked very well, but again I've only seen a handful of people's opinions on that.

Sheamus seems over, and he did a good job trying to get this crowd involved. I like Sheamus. That tag match appeared to be a bit of a waste of his time, but he looked strong in it and the fans were happy so I guess that was the point. I still don't like Sanitno much but most people seem to so that's fine. Is there a point to Jinder Mahal? I'm not really clear on what's been going on with him and Sheamus but I gather Sheamus has just been beating him up for a while because he doesn't have much else to do. Is that accurate?

Oh, and Punk vs Swagger was decent. With the finish, if Cole using it as an example of why Big Johnny should be guest referree was improvised following a genuine botch then that was some quick thinking. If it was a genuine botch then they did have the option not to replay it so many times though, which leads me to believe it was meant to happen.

I liked Miz's search for a bodyguard. R-Truth made me cringe a little but credit to him for putting his all into the performance.

Oh, and Dolph Ziggler looks good. Would like to see more of him because everyone's very high on him these days.

And now this:

qVJTc.gif

Fucking Mcgillicutty. Now there's someone who has just eschewed his genetics to descend into the mediocre. His segment with Alex Riley on NXT this week just showed how much of a gulf there is between those two in terms of personality.
If you had to pick out Curt Hennig's child from the roster I don't think you'd ever come up with him.Dolph Ziggler on the other hand could be the fruit of his loins.

• Paid Members

It was colourful and fun and larger than life, and that's how I like my wrestling.

Me too. If it's good. Would you put Santino in that bracket? Because I find him absolutely hideous.
It was good though. And I would have put Santino in that bracket until about 18 months ago. If you don't like a hybrid between Dusty Rhodes, Ernest Miller, Flash Funk and Rikishi then you get no muffins in my house.
That aimed at me? Because I've already said it was good. Twice. I was just adding that larger than life and colourful doesn't have to equal good. We're on the same page about Brodus.

I've watched the Brodus Clay match/entrance 6 times now. It...is...brilliant. He still had monster moves and a good finisher and i agree that this guy is full of charisma. He doesn't need a manager. He's a new age godfather/rikishi but better than both of them put together. He is the sort of character that WWE has been missing for ages.

• Paid Members

That aimed at me? Because I've already said it was good. Twice. I was just adding that larger than life and colourful doesn't have to equal good. We're on the same page about Brodus.
I think Butch was just talking in general, rather than about you specifically. Or thats how I read it at least. Brodus in the rumble should be an absolute riot! Excellent stuff.Aside from Clay's debut, and the Jericho segment, I've not watched the rest of the show as yet. Was Wade Barrett actually on the show at all, and if so has he got the new entrance music he was touting on twitter?

Also hated Brodus Clay's debut. The thinking behind it is kind of similiar to Jericho's return (the build up turned out to be irrelevant and the pay-off itself wasn't what was expected), but the execution was poor and so is the gimmick.

Somebody bettah call your mother.

I loved the Funkasaurus' debut, and it only took him a minute or two to liven up a crowd that had been dead for almost everything but Cena. He has the option to drop it and go monster heel at any time, all they need to do is constantly stress how dangerous he is and that people shouldn't be fooled just because he likes to have a good time. For all the funky antics he's still a scary motherfucker with deadly looking offense. As has been pointed out as well, he seemed to be having the time of his life doing it and you have to love that if nothing else about it.

It's really goofy, and I hope it runs and runs but they can always have it be Big Johnny's idea that Brodus was forced to go along with if they want to drop it like a bad penny.

Do people normally care about Daniel Bryan a bit more than tonight? I was hoping to use this show to gauge how over people were generally and stuff but this crowd didn't give me much to go on. I understand he hasn't been booked very well, but again I've only seen a handful of people's opinions on that.

Might be because he's in the middle of a heel turn, also he was facing Kofi is who a more established face. Smackdown is the land of post-production noise addition though, so this might just be a normal response for him.

I liked Miz's search for a bodyguard. R-Truth made me cringe a little but credit to him for putting his all into the performance.

R-Truth gets a years pass from me for the pigeon line from survivor series.

Archived