Raw Is Jericho *Raw 9/1/12 - Discussion Thread*

Cobra1000

I thought it was a legit fuck up, Punk was going for the Anaconda Vice as the referee was ringing the bell.

I don't think it was a legit screw up. I think it was playing into the 'Laurinitis will be a better referee as he won't make the same mistake' thing. That and the amount of replays they showed of it seems to suggest it was something they planned. If it was a legit mistake they did a hell of a job of covering it up.Plus I'd like to think the ref would know Punk has never finished a match with the elbow drop.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Brodus Clay's debut was a stroke of genius. An absolutely hilarious gimmick but not so overly stupid that people can't get behind it. The guy sweats charisma too, so that helps.

Loved "Big Johnny" and R-Truth and Ricardo (mostly). Hated all of the Kane stuff - his dire promo, the hokey backstage segments, and the cringeworthy moment when Zack Ryder bounced a foot off of a wooden crate. Also hated Brodus Clay's debut. The thinking behind it is kind of similiar to Jericho's return (the build up turned out to be irrelevant and the pay-off itself wasn't what was expected), but the execution was poor and so is the gimmick.As for Jericho, though, he is absolutely amazing. The hamminess, false tears, audacity - all of it, note-perfect.

• Paid Members

Stop being daft Vice. Brodus Clay has a fantastic gimmick, that not only got over with most the people watching in Chat last night, but with the live audience too. His execution was flawless too, he got 100% behind it, showed buckets of charisma and still had a believable monster squash too.

• Paid Members

Clay was tremendous. If I'd read a description of that segment, I would've thought it sounded absolutely dire. He got so into it and he's got so much expression and charisma that it just worked. He made it, the execution was tremendous.

It was colourful and fun and larger than life, and that's how I like my wrestling.

Me too. If it's good. Would you put Santino in that bracket? Because I find him absolutely hideous.
I think Santino is great up to the point where he starts to actually wrestle. His stuff during his Intercontinental title run with the "honka-meter" and all that jazz was great.

Clay's "SAWOOSH!!!" when he did the Cross Body was brilliant. :laugh: There was lots to like about that actually. Brodus Clay pulled it off absolutely superbly. Especially that change of mood when Hawkins hit the right hand. Constantly coming out with stupid shit, and complimenting the goofy with some vicious stuff. Definately the highlight of RAW and for the first time I can really see this guy going places.

There's no way that wasn't a legit fuck up in the Punk/Swagger match. It was a good match to that point as well.

Chris Jericho's second segment was as good as the first for me, but they're gonna have to do something with it soon enough.

R-Truth is a bit TOO goofy as the face. He's like an amped up John Cena at times. A lot of what he did worked though. I liked the embracing of the "WHAT?!" from the crowd from him. Ricardo's half arsed attempts at insults were quite fun too. The segment wasn't bad untill Truth started batting out the madness.

The Kane/Cena/Ryder stuff certainly has me interested. If I had to guess, it'll end with Cena "Rising Above Hate" as always and Zack Ryder's stock being a bit higher, which is a fair enough ending if that's the way it goes. I'd like to see Ryder be the one to get a big win over Kane though.

• Moderators

It was colourful and fun and larger than life, and that's how I like my wrestling.

Me too. If it's good. Would you put Santino in that bracket? Because I find him absolutely hideous.
It was good though. And I would have put Santino in that bracket until about 18 months ago. If you don't like a hybrid between Dusty Rhodes, Ernest Miller, Flash Funk and Rikishi then you get no muffins in my house.

Brodus was a mix of Godfather/Akeen/Big Vis but it was good and he seemed to be having fun and into it which helps, only shame is he could have been a good monster heel but with henry and kane on each show theres only so much space for a monster.I like Curt Hawkins they should use his properly, maybe a bitter ex partner feud with Ryder.The Jericho stuff is interesting, its the type of character you could only do with someone the crowd knows his history and whats behind his smile.

Archived