Raw Is Jericho *Raw 9/1/12 - Discussion Thread*

Cobra1000

Are they going for the 'Oh Flash Funk was in 1997 everyone's forgot about him. Let's try it again with someone new?' kind of thing here. A wrestler coming out with two dancers, calling himself the Funkasaurus and dancing in the middle of the ring. Brodus might have been enjoyed by all last night but for how long can this gimmick go without getting stale and boring?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Where is the criticism of Brodus Clay? It's about 98% positive on here, which must be some sort of record.

Paging Dingo Warrior........Paging Dingo Warrior
I wonder what Dexter would make of it as well. Vito cleverly side-stepped giving the Brodus segment a grilling, which was a wise move.

I don't see how anyone can criticise the Brodus re-debut. It was legitimately one of the best segments they've done in the past 10 years.

1) They swerved everyone.

2) They instantly gave him an identity.

3) He was able to showcase his agility and power.

4) Hawkins bumped like a motherfucker.

5) They gave two new roles to developmental females.

6) It was timed to perfection, in that it was long enough to be memorable, but short enough to not be irritating.

7) The crowd reaction speaks for itself.

It ticks all the boxes. This is now a man who stands out in the crowd, rather than being 'just another monster' in a world with Big Show, Mark Henry, Big Zeke etc.

Brodus Clay arrived Monday night.

• Paid Members

Every gimmick has a shelf life but I think the fact that Brodus is a big threat means this has plenty of life in it. I'd liken it more to Rikishi than Flash Funk. It'll get over as a mid-card gimmick but he could easily become a main eventer ala Rikishi or Umaga.

The mid card has been crying out for a big colourful character (after all the complaints of everyone being the same) and Brodus is exactly what the doctor ordered. I hope similar things are going to follow.Skip Sheffield re-debuting with some sort of gimmick would be good to see.

My criticism of Brodus Clay, then, to make rick happy: his moobs are going to constantly pop out of that singlet. He needs a more robust costume, like Viscera used to have.

• Paid Members

WTF are you two on about? I'm asking a genuine question because the guy posted as if responding to criticism and as far as I can see, we're all united in our love for him on here. So I'm wondering if the Torch or Observer or something has panned it. I don't care about twitter as a form of feedback because it's full of nutters.

I've plugged it in the TNA Nostalgia thread, but the first match ever in TNA is them vs AJ/Lynn/Ki and it is so fucking fun. The arena crowd adds to it as they are reacting to the first glimpse of the X-style. Spotty but not ridiculous. Plus, I love the Elvises gimmick especially after hearing Jinny Yang's account of them bringing it up to him.

WTF are you two on about?

Having "Somebody call my mama!" stuck in your head at inopportune moments gets annoying, but that's as negative as I can possibly be about this angle.On a serious note Isenberg over at Wrestlezone absolutely hates the entire angle, as in shits on every part and can't see anything positive in it at all.

"The Funkasaurus" Brodus Clay vs. Curt Hawkins:What I Liked:Nothing.What I Disliked:Everything. This was one of the worst things I have ever seen. Months have gone by and we have been teased with Clay, a guy who came off of working with Del Rio as his bodyguard a year ago. He has the look, the size, and the intelligence to be dominant in the WWE. People say he would have been another boring, dominant heel, which I disagree. His offense is so unique where he is an athletic, yet powerful wrestler. The tattoos, the hair, the previous history as a bodyguard, Brodus would have been immediately in the spotlight if he faced someone of any relevance whatsoever. THEY DROPPED THE BALL 1,000 PERCENT. You give us a ridiculous joke of a character, a type of character that will never get over to the point of anything besides a joke or a comedy act. Clay, from Planet Funk, would have worked in 1996, but not in 2012. Creative totally f*^* this one up. What a complete disaster. I do not want to see Rikishi mixed with Flash Funk. I want something better for him, and I know he has to be upset with it too. The dancing, especially between moves, looked like he belonged on Soul Train, not in a ring. I can type for days but this re-debut was absolutely terrible.

Someone's upset about the lack of another generic monster squasher.

Archived