Raw Is Jericho *Raw 9/1/12 - Discussion Thread*

Cobra1000

• Moderators

Brodus Clay is the greatest thing I've seen in ages. I'll take the Funkasaurus all day. I actually enjoyed that raw. I'll take cheesy, comedic and fun over terribly boring anyday. We had Brodus being awesome, Ricardo being super duper, Jericho's hammy crying, "Big Johnny", Zack Ryder vs Car Tyre. Good enough for me.Brodus Clay is supreme though. I'm loving it to death already.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That Brodus Clay segment was weird. Announcer says he's from "Planet Funk" and I thought it was a bit odd. Then they announce "The Funkasaurus" and I switch to full on WTF. Then he comes out with the dancing girls and I'm still not sure if it's a joke. When Hawkins grabs him from behind and he does the happy dance, I just crack up. I think the crowd all got into it at the same time. His work in the ring with the gimmick was absolutely tremendous. He's like the result of an artificial insemination cocktail involving The Godfather, Rikishi and Dusty Rhodes. I loved it.The rest was a bit hit and miss. Didn't like the Jericho segment much but it does keep the thing ticking over. When Jericho finally does break his silence, I absolutely demand that they urn the lights off and have him do the interview with the jacket flashing in the dark in the middle of the ring.Kane interview at the beginning was absolutely dire. I think this might be the solution to getting Cena cheered. Just have Kane cut these promos and then fans will pop for Cena out of pure relief. LOL'd at Zack Ryder trying to take the tyre off without jacking the car up. Then magically after the break, he'd remembered. Then you see Ryder bounce up from the chokeslam. In the later shot, he's been chokeslammed about 8 feet down. Ryder's made of Rubber. Hokey shit. Oh, and the bit in the opening segment where they focused on Cole and Lawler trying to sell how bad Kane is was abysmal. These guys are not actors so don't force them to act unless absolutely necessary.Hall Of Fame inductions both very welcome. Writing Ole Anderson out of Horsemen history is weird though. No mention of JJ Dillon individually but he was in every single shot. Not sure about Flair's role either, he was seriously prominent in the segment. Think it's too early for Edge. Shawn Michaels came back after 4 years after all. Not undeserved though. Sensible bit of PR too. How do you make the current roster seem as worthy as ever? Put one in the Hall Of Fame.Not much else stood out (though the Bryan/Show thing was OK). Best line was Ace again "I'm not a little Jimmy, I'm big Johnny".

I fucking hated what they've done to Brodus. They build it up for weeks saying he's getting more and more angry about not debuting, then he comes out smiling and dancing like a massive fucking clown. Hopefully it'll turn out they gave him a lame gimmick to make him even more angry (explained by having to do it to save his job or something), then in a few weeks time he'll enter the Rumble when it's full of people and go mental and beat them all half to death.

I've got a feeling its all part of 'Big Johnny' and his Mr Excitement gimmick. Everyone expected killer heel Brodus Clay, we got Dancing Funkster Brodus Clay.They could have a new gimmick each week for Brodus Clay, Johnny Ace becoming ever more prominent in the angle and eventually Brodus could defy his boss and instantly turn babyface.

That was great, I really enjoyed it. Kane's promo was a bit dodgy but the bits with Cena and Ryder as a whole were terrifically funny. It was all like something from a low budget film on the Horror Channel but I seemed to really like it. I have to say Cena has been coming off as being very likable recently. The Jericho thing has to be going somewhere now he's brought out the over the top fake tears, that's for certain now. All that came to mind was "Dick.", but I guess that's what they are going for. It's a shame Kofi Kingston had to be the one jobbing out, but the segment as a whole was decent. I'm looking forward to Smackdown for the continuation of the Bryan/Show/Henry journey. CM Punk/Swagger was a brilliant match, great work by all involved. Ziggler as the towel boy and John L.'s involvement perfected it. And what can I say about Clay? I LOVED it. The best thing about the whole show, I was pissing myself laughing and my personal immediate thoughts were Rikishi and Flash Funk put together. I hope it lasts, he's perfect for giving a light hearted beating to some jobbers in the middle of the Royal Rumble. Hopefully Santino get's it, he was the one thing that sucked about Raw last night. Just go away. Almost forgot about R Truth and Ricardo, it was 5 star comedy.

With my ban ended (Sorry again for the live discussion last week) i'm happy to talk about what a great Raw that was.After re-watching the Jericho stuff i can only say how wrong i was for hating it (i must have been grumpy staying up so late to watch it), he was very much awesome again last night.Big Johnny is getting more and more watchable each week.Really enjoyed Punk vs Swagger.When i first heard 'Planet Funk' and saw Clay i just thought 'This sucks, why isn't he booked as a freaking monster', as soon as he started dancing to that song it was love at first sight, he was brilliant and saying 'My Bad' after the suplex cracked me up.Daniel Bryans celebrations are amazing.And i enjoyed Kanes promo.Things i didn't like included, Santino picking up the win, Zack Ryder (just thought he was too cheesy last night) and R-Truth.

What happened at the end of Punk/Swagger? Did the ref legitimately screw up the finish? Punk looked pissed off when the ref counted three and you could see him having words every time the ref got close to him.

Nobody expected Brodus Clay's debut to go like that. Once I got past the initial WTF feeling, I really enjoyed it.

What happened at the end of Punk/Swagger? Did the ref legitimately screw up the finish? Punk looked pissed off when the ref counted three and you could see him having words every time the ref got close to him.

I thought it was a legit fuck up, Punk was going for the Anaconda Vice as the referee was ringing the bell.

Brodus Clay was great. I was laughing all the way through and had to rewind and rewatch the whole segment.The best thing about it was how into the whole thing he was, and shouting stuff like 'Sheeeeee-suplex' and 'Sheeeeee-pin' made it even better.Anyone who watched NXT must have seen that Clay had too much personality about him to play a generic 'monster'. He could really get over far more with this gimmick.

• Paid Members

Clay's debut was epic. I'd much prefer him doing this to the generic monster stuff. The Funkasaurus is money, and they can still turn him into that if it falls flat, but I could see this getting over HUGE! wwe needs more colourful characters, so I'm all for this!

Archived