Raw Is Jericho *Raw 9/1/12 - Discussion Thread*

Cobra1000

• Paid Members

Ryder's a comedy gimmick. They should never have made him a sympathetic character. He should be the new Hurricane. The midcard merchandise seller, who can have the odd underdog match with a main eventer. People like him. But there's a difference between liking and caring. When I was 13, the last type of characters I was dreaming of being was a bloke like Ryder, who is trying to shag a lass who is obviously not interested. People seemed to like him when he was a undercard comedy act. Now he's getting shoved down people's throats.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I have absolutely no interest in seeing Ryder in the main event scene. I was never a massive fan when he first started gaining notoriety either. What direction will WWE go when they give up on Punk and Ryder? Where can they go?

By the time they give up on Ryder and Punk, you'll have Undertaker, Triple H, The Rock and possibly (in a none wrestling role) Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels back for WrestleMania. As well as Shaquille O'Neil. They are about to get bombarded with star attractions in the next two months. Hopefully they'll help matters. Also, the Observer says they are at least speaking with Brock Lesnar about this years Mania as well, even though there's a small chance of that one. I cant for the life of me seeing Ryder on the WrestleMania card. If Sheamus couldnt get on last year, I dont know how Ryder will this year.

Yeah, Ryder and the Tyre flopped massively.

Actually, does anyone reckon that Ryder's time as flavour of the month is over now? I never really saw him as a long term thing, but I was surprised to hear some scattered boos when he appeared on Raw already. I thought that wouldn't have happened for a while yet. Or is it a case that people are sick of Kane?

I'd wager it's both, probably.

I think the problem with Ryder is that they haven't managed to translate the stuff people liked about his youtube videos to his current TV character.

The show got popular because (as well as the goofy character and silly catchphrases) it was full of silly insider stuff ("Nobody pushes Zack Ryder" "I'm trying to get over" etc...) and gave a knowing wink to the whole idea that WWE wasn't doing anything with him. His Dad, The Big O and the other cameo's also helped. I don't know that there was really any way to carry that side over to a wrestling persona?

What he's left with is pretty must just playing the Idiot. I'm bored already, quite frankly, though a soppy romance story with Eve was always going to bore me probably.

It's a shame that Punk isn't connecting with the wider audience on Monday nights. I would like to see Punk move to Smackdown after Mania and take Orton's role with a group of fresh opponents. Bryan, Christian, Barrett and Henry could all be great opponents for Punk. Taking Punk out of the big clunky storyline based Raw would be a decent move and worked wonders for Orton.

On the subject of Raw, I enjoyed Swagger more than I have done for a long time this week and he actually looked like a credible powerful opponent. The Kane-Cena saga turned into a cheesefest this week but it was enjoyable and it stands out from the majority of recent feuds.

Ryder has risen to the position that he was working towards and the fans wanted to see him do well. Ziggler was the perfect opponent and Ryder needs that next great opponent before interest dwindles.

• Paid Members
I have absolutely no interest in seeing Ryder in the main event scene. I was never a massive fan when he first started gaining notoriety either. What direction will WWE go when they give up on Punk and Ryder? Where can they go?

By the time they give up on Ryder and Punk, you'll have Undertaker, Triple H, The Rock and possibly (in a none wrestling role) Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels back for WrestleMania. As well as Shaquille O'Neil. They are about to get bombarded with star attractions in the next two months. Hopefully they'll help matters. Also, the Observer says they are at least speaking with Brock Lesnar about this years Mania as well, even though there's a small chance of that one. I cant for the life of me seeing Ryder on the WrestleMania card. If Sheamus couldnt get on last year, I dont know how Ryder will this year.

Once all that dies down though and WrestleMania is over then things could easily take a real nose dive again with the lack of new credible stars they've got now. I'm glad they'll bring all these big guns in for WrestleMania but at some point they'll need to ignore ratings somewhat and build up feuds and wrestlers that people are flocking to watch. They are going to have to take a step back to make two steps forward at some point because they are running out of quick fixes and have been for 3 years or so now

I can't for the life of me think why they would green light a romantic storyline with Ryder and Eve. It baffles me, really fucking baffles me. It comes off as being extremely amateurish, like a shitty student production. Neither of them can act. What emotional involvement will the viewer have? None whatsoever. It's actually embarrassing some of the segments they air.

It was a nice moment and everything, but for me they blew their wad with Ryder putting the belt on him last month. I honestly think they should have given him a Bossman-through-the-Heenan-family run to Wrestlemania to unseat Ziggler.The fans were gagging for him to get a title shot, so you have Mr Excitement repeatedly put another barrier up whilst Ziggler keeps being ace but ducking him. Ultimately, Ryder wins a match that finally gives him the shot, and he goes over on the big stage. That response at the PPV when he won was a real pop, those fans cared. Imagine if that had been in front of 60,000 or however many would be at Mania. Ziggler (who has kept having these great matches and held on to his belt all this time) doesn't look bad in losing and goes on to bigger and better things post-Mania.

For me, once people got on board with his character, the reason Ryder got over was because he had a good chase story, an old wrestling favourite. That was all it was. His chase ended too soon, and now the internet guy five minutes from getting fired has actually achieved his goals, why should the fans give a toss anymore? Especially now that he's falling victim to that bad WWE habit of "he's got a belt so we don't need to book him with any credibility, the belt gives him that", which has been a killer for years now.

I like him enough, and he should enjoy pissing around the top of Raw while he can, but he's peaked as a face in this role, that's for certain.

Is the micromanagement of the ratings, hurting Raw by not allowing it to breath, going for the very very short term pops and spikes in ratings against what was some College Football Big Match and then proclaiming it to be a disaster really doesnt do it any favours

If it was going up against another wrestling show then great. It isnt, I wonder if they started booking it and looking for ratings like a soap opera, I wonder if they may get more consistent ratings than looking for all the fluxes in them and trying to cater to them instead?

I liked Ryder's involvement with Cena up until this Kane feud. I think Ryder should be kept separate from it. I can see why he's involved, but it's not really working. I'm in agreement with NEWM, they shouldn't have given him the title yet if he was going to be playing cannon fodder in this storyline. Having that US title should mean he has his own storylines going on, especially as he's one of the few with a somewhat established character. But he is a terrible actor as well, which isn't helping.

• Paid Members
I liked Ryder's involvement with Cena up until this Kane feud. I think Ryder should be kept separate from it. I can see why he's involved, but it's not really working. I'm in agreement with NEWM, they shouldn't have given him the title yet if he was going to be playing cannon fodder in this storyline. Having that US title should mean he has his own storylines going on, especially as he's one of the few with a somewhat established character. But he is a terrible actor as well, which isn't helping.

Agree with all of this. Having Ryder chasing the US title and having Cena go into bat for him gave him focus and credibility and made him a good solid mid card challenger. They've had to drag him into this feud because they realised too late that Kane attacking Cena makes him a babyface. As a result, Ryder now has no focus and is caught up in this hokey shit. Plus they involved him with Eve for no reason.

It's obvious to see why the ratings are tanking. Everyone on the Raw roster not named Cena or Triple H is a mid-card wrestler. Having any of them carry the World Title diminishes it. I like CM Punk, it seems a lot of the crowds like CM Punk but no-one is buying him as a main eventer. Lack of stars is really starting to bite. Unless the ratings jump after Rumble for the road to Wrestlemania, they are going to be shitting themselves.

Having these "Raw supershows" doesn't help much either because aside from Randy Orton, no-one on the Smackdown roster is a star either.

Putting CM Punk in the middle of the show against Dolph Ziggler isn't going to help him. People don't buy him as a main guy so they've got to keep hammering home that he's a main guy. He should either start of finish the show every week. He shouldn't be wrestling a throwaway match every week and they need to have him alongside Cena battling for the common good.

Archived