You fucked your push up.....

tom

• Paid Members

Didn't that Judas Mesias bloke take a nasty fall from a ladder in Mexico and bust his head on the floor, putting him out of action for a while and killing his TNA run? I have definitely seen the injury, but I'm not sure if he had finished with TNA by then or not.

99% sure you're right on that.The major problem for Judas Mesias in TNA was there really being nowhere for a character like that to go once his feud with Abyss was over. Same was probably true for Black Reign & Rellik.Guys like Taker & Kane get by on being creepy, supernaturally-powered monsters on something of a Grandfather clause - they've been doing it for years. But when you bring a blood-dribbling, rises-up-from-Hell devil like Judas Mesias into a company like TNA, where everyone else is portrayed as an athlete (yes, there are quirks on the theme - James Storm's a beer-loving Cowboy athlete, Hernandez a Latino supremacist athlete, but it's pretty much standard), what do you do once you've finished feuding him with your other monster? What's the motivation for a feud with Christian, to pick someone who was in the upper card at the time?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck! A load of memories there. I remember X - me and a mate played a game where you say a TNA guy and the other one has to say one until someone can't think of any more. I said X and he thought I was making things up. I think I remember him doing a big moonsault to the outside. I liked the look of him though his name was shit.I liked Hector Garza too, he was good. Did Apollo/Dallas get a push? I think he did.

Didn't that Judas Mesias bloke take a nasty fall from a ladder in Mexico and bust his head on the floor, putting him out of action for a while and killing his TNA run? I have definitely seen the injury, but I'm not sure if he had finished with TNA by then or not.

99% sure you're right on that.
Yeah, he's almost right. Most of his TNA work you remember came when he returned after his lay-off, but the injury happened just after he was introduced, thus killing the momentum of the gimmick. Here's the incident in question, can't have been much fun.Mesias is pretty good though, he had AAA's best match of last year with LA Park, and his PPV matches are generally worth watching (the last couple with Styles and Sting/Terry excepted)

Dallas was Lance Hoyt & Apollo was a jacked up Puerto Rican wrestler. He messed his push up though by no-showing Final Resolution and TNA released him. He was in the inaugural version of LAX but was replaced by Machete who then got replaced by Hernandez. He also almost killed Scott Steiner with a super-kick to the throat in Puerto Rico in 2007.

Dallas was Lance Hoyt & Apollo was a jacked up Puerto Rican wrestler. He messed his push up though by no-showing Final Resolution and TNA released him. He was in the inaugural version of LAX but was replaced by Machete who then got replaced by Hernandez. He also almost killed Scott Steiner with a super-kick to the throat in Puerto Rico in 2007.

thanks for confirming as I thought I was going mad

NEWM got in there before me, CM Punk definatly. He was given the rare responsibility of writing his own promo's, got an immense amount of screen time and has just bottled it really. Looking at the ratings, it seems the folks at home agree.

So Monday Night Football at the ass-end of the NFL regular season has had nothing to do with it?
Nah, some of Punk's worst numbers have been when the Monday game has had low figures.It's also worth noting that Punk doesn't universally drive people away. He's had overruns that have done ok, but not John Cena-type numbers and Raw has been doing crap in the second hour for months (I remember Cena v Henry, with Kane's return not doing nearly as well as you would expect). His recent numbers ARE terrible though.
Plus as well we are several weeks away from the Royal Rumble and nothing besides the Rumble match actually been signed theres no need to turn into RAW its not like you are going to miss much that you cant catch on any of the other shows. Specifically in relation to Punk, I dont really think its his fault because he's doing the rehashed "Austin/McMahon" feud. It does have an air of "seen this before".If Punk was doing a different storyline I reckon the numbers might be different.The "It Begins" segment was a good idea to attract viewers but WWE has let people down with stuff in the past its not must see any more. Not to mention all this internet coverage which is important because how many people are streaming the show each week, I bet that has an impact on the ratings if people arent even watching it on the tv.I just compare how it is now to how it was when I started watching, it felt like "must see tv". This was in the year 2000, I remember Foley turning into Cactus, retiring, coming back over a few months that was cool. I also remember and this was well if someone asked me why do you watch RAW, I'd say well it has to do with Chris Jericho defeating Triple H for the WWE title in a impromptu match on RAW right before Backlash. That segment was so well done I thought "Wow, wonder what will happen next week" and things kept happening like that for most of the year, Foley as Commissioner, The Undertaker returning, Kane chokeslamming Taker through the ring. Nowadays I look at a RAW preview and I know this'll happen or that'll happen like if Cena is involved in a WWE title match or some sort of stipulation, I know what'll happen its not cant miss this any more. Even if I do miss RAW I know if anything major happens I can see it repeated on any of the other shows if you could only see what happened on RAW by watching RAW that'd be a great step in the right direction, well that and a bit of spontaneauty once in a while.To keep this on topic, Scott Steiner in his second WWE run, I mean its not like he didnt have the time to get in shape.....

• Paid Members

The booking team won't see CM Punk's constant failure as anything other than Punks fault, no matter how you want to spin it. If he's still doing shit come 'Mania (and he'll do well not to get pushed down the card before then), then he's simply not the babyface people want. Which is a shame, as I enjoy CM Punk's work (even if he is a better heel than face).

• Paid Members

The major problem for Judas Mesias in TNA was there really being nowhere for a character like that to go once his feud with Abyss was over. Same was probably true for Black Reign & Rellik.

Black Reign was held back by being fat and apathetic. It was not his greatest moment.

He wasn't so much getting pushed but didnt Maxx Payne/Man Mountain Rock fuck his career up by recording WWF wrestlers on the road getting up to a variety of naughty activities? Also, wasn't Shawn Stasiak responsible for that too?Mickie Knuckles fucked up her chance at a mainstream contract by snapping her leg jumping off a balcony on an IWA Mid South show just weeks after being introduced as Moose in TNA.Im sure there was story doing the rounds that the reason MVP got jobbed out to everyone and their mother was because he made a derogatory remark to the person who takes the piss tests or something.HHH really fucked up his push in 1996 by being part of the infamous MSG curtain call. Obviously, everything was back on track 6 months later but, for a time, HHH was jobbing to EVERYBODY!!

NEWM got in there before me, CM Punk definatly. He was given the rare responsibility of writing his own promo's, got an immense amount of screen time and has just bottled it really. Looking at the ratings, it seems the folks at home agree.

So Monday Night Football at the ass-end of the NFL regular season has had nothing to do with it?
Nah, some of Punk's worst numbers have been when the Monday game has had low figures.It's also worth noting that Punk doesn't universally drive people away. He's had overruns that have done ok, but not John Cena-type numbers and Raw has been doing crap in the second hour for months (I remember Cena v Henry, with Kane's return not doing nearly as well as you would expect). His recent numbers ARE terrible though.
Plus as well we are several weeks away from the Royal Rumble and nothing besides the Rumble match actually been signed theres no need to turn into RAW its not like you are going to miss much that you cant catch on any of the other shows. Specifically in relation to Punk, I dont really think its his fault because he's doing the rehashed "Austin/McMahon" feud. It does have an air of "seen this before".If Punk was doing a different storyline I reckon the numbers might be different.The "It Begins" segment was a good idea to attract viewers but WWE has let people down with stuff in the past its not must see any more. Not to mention all this internet coverage which is important because how many people are streaming the show each week, I bet that has an impact on the ratings if people arent even watching it on the tv.I just compare how it is now to how it was when I started watching, it felt like "must see tv". This was in the year 2000, I remember Foley turning into Cactus, retiring, coming back over a few months that was cool. I also remember and this was well if someone asked me why do you watch RAW, I'd say well it has to do with Chris Jericho defeating Triple H for the WWE title in a impromptu match on RAW right before Backlash. That segment was so well done I thought "Wow, wonder what will happen next week" and things kept happening like that for most of the year, Foley as Commissioner, The Undertaker returning, Kane chokeslamming Taker through the ring. Nowadays I look at a RAW preview and I know this'll happen or that'll happen like if Cena is involved in a WWE title match or some sort of stipulation, I know what'll happen its not cant miss this any more. Even if I do miss RAW I know if anything major happens I can see it repeated on any of the other shows if you could only see what happened on RAW by watching RAW that'd be a great step in the right direction, well that and a bit of spontaneauty once in a while.To keep this on topic, Scott Steiner in his second WWE run, I mean its not like he didnt have the time to get in shape.....
To be fair to the WWE, you know what's going to happen because you've been watchign for 11 years. Wrestlings always recycled, it's just it recycles a lot fatster now. There's probably been very few bits in wrestling that haven't been done before somewhere else. Admittedly it's partly in the psin, you have to trick people into thinking something's new but that's not easy when you've got all this footage online now.

• Paid Members

He wasn't so much getting pushed but didnt Maxx Payne/Man Mountain Rock fuck his career up by recording WWF wrestlers on the road getting up to a variety of naughty activities? Also, wasn't Shawn Stasiak responsible for that too?

I don't think MMR was got rid of for that, but he did try and sell it a few years later, but nothing materialised. Meat was caught bizarrely recording conversations with other wrestlers. I think he claimed he was planning some sort of rib, but they thought he was a weirdo and sacked him.

He wasn't so much getting pushed but didnt Maxx Payne/Man Mountain Rock fuck his career up by recording WWF wrestlers on the road getting up to a variety of naughty activities? Also, wasn't Shawn Stasiak responsible for that too?

I don't think MMR was got rid of for that, but he did try and sell it a few years later, but nothing materialised.
Yeah, but i think by all accounts, his abysmal run in the WWF was still self-inflicted as a result of him being a bit of a twat/stoner/pillpopper etc.His tenure in the WWF was strange. It was clear early on that they weren't interested him, yet he was never really jobbed out on TV or anything. He just showed up now and again in minute long squash matches. He was there about 8 or 9 months yet his only tv match vs another 'star' I remember was vs Jean-Pierre Lafitte. A bit of a shame really as I quite liked Maxx Payne and I think he had potential to be a fun addition to the WWF midcard, even with the watered-down character.

• Awards Moderator

In relation to an above comment regarding Mexican talent in TNA, i think was it "Shocker" was in line for a big push , (or in the middle of said push), due to him being fairly big in Mexico at the time IIRC. He was about to win the X-Division Title, but just no-showed and fecked off back home.Not sure if there is some sort of bigger story behind that, but it was reported he "No Showed" at the time.

Shocker was brought in after Garza was caught with steroids and getting deported. According to Wikipedia anyway. In my memory it was Shocker too, but his wiki doesn't mention it. Was it both?
Not sure about Garza, although i remember various Triple A / CMLL guys floating about because of the "World X cup" or whatever that was. Does anybody else recall the 'new' Psycosis and La Parka that wrestled one week? I think it may of been on the old weekly PPV's, but i thought it'd be interesting, although they never turned up again.Speaking of "Do you remember...", does anybody recall the huge/short monster that was "X" from waaaaay back in the TNA early days? He turned up, killed like 5 or 6 X division guys in a row, then got beat and disapeared.
I remember Garza being brought in after the World X Cups and being treated as a massive deal. I think it was shortly after the Randy Savage six man tag match. Garza was practically straight in there with the Kings Of Wrestling and I'm fairly sure beat Jarrett in the main event of Impact back when nobody ever beat Jarrett.Quite an opportunity to mess up, but TNA seem to have a recurring problem with that sort of thing. I suppose developmental can wean that out of people in WWE (to a certain extent anyway).

• Paid Members

He wasn't so much getting pushed but didnt Maxx Payne/Man Mountain Rock fuck his career up by recording WWF wrestlers on the road getting up to a variety of naughty activities?

Sure I've saw some of this somewhere. I vaguely remember Louie Spicolli (as Rad Radford) having to be held up by people on both arms so he could get into his hotel room without falling flat on his face. Drooling at the mouth.

(Man Mountain Rock) His tenure in the WWF was strange. It was clear early on that they weren't interested him, yet he was never really jobbed out on TV or anything. He just showed up now and again in minute long squash matches. He was there about 8 or 9 months yet his only tv match vs another 'star' I remember was vs Jean-Pierre Lafitte.

He had a few matches with Bob Backlund who didn't take too kindly to his brand of music. Backlund made him squeal.

Archived