You fucked your push up.....

tom

• Paid Members
People have compared the general tone of the Ace feud to the McMahon/Austin rivalry, but what has Punk done to embarrass or injure ace? Virtually nothing. Ace has been getting his way and mocking Punk the whole way through. By now, Austin would have kicked the shit out of him on at least a few occasions (and probably made him piss his pants mid-ring or something similar). As things stand, outside of an "accidental kick" and a funny Dynamic Dudes video, what has Punk done to Mr Ace?

McMahon had credibility back then. People knew he owned the company and he was coming off the Bret Hart screwjob. Ace has no credibility so you've got to build him first and generate reason for Punk to be vengeful. I think they are doing a really good job with these two. Fuck the ratings, I'd hate to see them drop this now, it's building nicely.

Yeah, that sounds about right. The problem still exists though that at the moment, Punk is being foiled by a guy who hasn't yet been built up enough.

I agree they are doing a good job from my personal point of view, but as a more casual viewer (who doesn't know anything about Ace, beyond his TV character) I still think it may seem like some boring, corporate douche is getting the best of Punk most weeks. If Punk had beaten Ace up a few times already (not destroyed him or anything) then Ace would have reason to hire a security team and maybe a bodyguard, all more stuff that would have added to his act.

But Punk battering Ace is the payoff to all of this; if he'd already done it, with Ace being under-built, then it would be dead in the water now as not even Triple H got to give him a clubbering

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that sounds about right. The problem still exists though that at the moment, Punk is being foiled by a guy who hasn't yet been built up enough.

I agree they are doing a good job from my personal point of view, but as a more casual viewer (who doesn't know anything about Ace, beyond his TV character) I still think it may seem like some boring, corporate douche is getting the best of Punk most weeks. If Punk had beaten Ace up a few times already (not destroyed him or anything) then Ace would have reason to hire a security team and maybe a bodyguard, all more stuff that would have added to his act.

But Punk battering Ace is the payoff to all of this; if he'd already done it, with Ace being under-built, then it would be dead in the water now as not even Triple H got to give him a clubbering

Like I said, I wouldn't have Punk kill Ace, but perhaps embarrass him hugely somehow, a public humiliation to give Punk a memorable highlight clip and to A) bring Ace down a peg or two and, B) give him even more reason to be a prick to Punk.

Vince got lamped by Austin loads of times, it just fueled the hate even more.

• Paid Members

Vince was stronger and could take that without being overly damaged by it. If Ace was decked whilst he was a nobody, then there's no reason to invest; and, Ace is the sort of character who doesn't have the guts to flat out screw Punk, so he pretends like he's just clumsy and well meaning whilst in actuality he's putting one over on him

Vince was stronger and could take that without being overly damaged by it. If Ace was decked whilst he was a nobody, then there's no reason to invest; and, Ace is the sort of character who doesn't have the guts to flat out screw Punk, so he pretends like he's just clumsy and well meaning whilst in actuality he's putting one over on him

I understand the point that Ace needs building, the problem is that in the mean time, Punk looks silly by not getting back at him. Everyone can see what Ace is up to, it's not some big secret and Punk is well aware he's being messed with.

Ace has already cost Triple H his executive job and being involved with the finishes to title matches, I guess after the unfinished business with Nash, i just don't want Ace to get the better of Punk week after week, only for both guys to then drift off onto other things. All being well, Punk will fight Ace at mania and he'll get his payback there, but we all know what happened with Cole/Lawler last year!

They seem to be protecting Ace more than Punk at the moment, which seems a little backward to me.

• Paid Members

My interpretation is that Punk has found it all quite amusing and hasn't let it get to him too much as not much harm has been done, but now he's starting to get pissed off because his title is at risk, so he's not had much need to stiff him yet. It's a slow builder that is about to kick off

Punk (and Cena) have made a million jokes about Ace's voice and skateboarding past -- just nobody got them. Same for the "embarrassing" video Punk showed. It's not all been one-sided. Didn't Punk kick him in the head once "by accident" as well?

Oh yeah, there's been mocking on both sides.

I dunno, maybe I'm just hoping for more. The thing that sticks out about the most memorable rivalries are those big cool/funny angles. Stuff like the Austin beer truck soaking, kidnapping Vince, the attack in the hospital etc. I just thing there is loads more fun they could be having with this rivalry, and Punk needs to kick off a bit more. Wasn't he complaining about people talking too much, and not enough people wanting to just come out and fight? Yet his character now is being very patient with Ace.

• Paid Members

You're going to be very disappointed, I'm afraid, if you're hoping for it to be a classic or iconic angle. Plus he wants to fight high calibre wrestlers who can challenge him, as opposed to Mr Ace, but the situation is making him waiver on that

• Paid Members
I dunno, maybe I'm just hoping for more. The thing that sticks out about the most memorable rivalries are those big cool/funny angles. Stuff like the Austin beer truck soaking, kidnapping Vince, the attack in the hospital etc.

A lot of the Vince/Austin stuff came well into the feud though. These days, that feud would have been dead at WM14 but it went on and on.

Wasn't he complaining about people talking too much, and not enough people wanting to just come out and fight?

He was at one point, but it seemed very out of character. Punk generally isn't the violent type, certainly not to the same extent as mad sociopath Austin in 1998. It's impossible to imagine Austin sat Indian-style on the stage, telling his pay-per-view opponent how he likes him more than he likes most people backstage. Plus, when Austin first stunnered Vince, it was pretty much brand new in the WWF. It had been done with one or two authority figures (like Vader and Monsoon) but it was still fresh. Since then, we've seen all the McMahons, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, Eric Bischoff, Teddy Long etc etc get twatted loads of times. I can see the argument for why they'd hold off on Punk battering Ace for a while to build up anticipation for it... I don't think there's really that much thought gone into it though.

I dunno, maybe I'm just hoping for more. The thing that sticks out about the most memorable rivalries are those big cool/funny angles. Stuff like the Austin beer truck soaking, kidnapping Vince, the attack in the hospital etc.

A lot of the Vince/Austin stuff came well into the feud though. These days, that feud would have been dead at WM14 but it went on and on.

I was about to correct you, but then remember pre WM 14 was a lot of "sowing the seeds."

In fact I think the Austin / McMahon fued made so much sense in a way that a lot of "evil GM" stories never did. Austin and McMahon never crossed paths prior to Mania (from what a remember), but they basically had Vince indirectly reveal that if Austin won the belt at Mania 14, it would be a PR nightmare for his company.

Those were the days....

Archived