You fucked your push up.....

tom

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just gonna throw this out there.

How much better would this angle be with Vince Mcmahon involved.

The one in ring segment Punk and Vince had together was bloody magic, and Punk's anti authority act against Vince would have meant so much more. Vince's involvement just gives everything a much more main event feel. Making Triple H COO on screen accomplished nothing for anybody (except maybe Triple H). I accept that the Mr. McMahon character does need to be phased out, but this was surely ojne of the worst times to do it?

• Paid Members

Does Vince mean anything anymore? The character has been all over the place for the last 10 years. Is he in charge or isn't he? Is her around or isn't he? Is he a heel or a babyface? Is he in character or isn't he?

He's done everything, several times. They've rehashed the Austin feud as much as they possibly could. It's time to move on.

What I like about the Ace/Punk feud is that there is some ambiguity. Ace has never done anything outright heelish. Everything can be explained as a misunderstanding.

I'm not sure in the mainstream that anybody is interested in the feud though.

McMahon has been around but at least he has some credibility. Ace to most people is just a nobody who struggles to talk in a voice people can hardly hear.

You put McMahon in the spot and the casual viewer immediately thinks "Wow Punk must be a big deal".

I agree with you and love the ambiguity of the feud with Ace. Everything he's doing could just be construed as an accident or management decisions, but I'm not sure the casual viewer wants that. I think they want a bad arse hero against a boss who hates him and the fans.

• Paid Members
I'm not sure in the mainstream that anybody is interested in the feud though.

No-one in the mainstream is interested in anything they do. They've proven that the last 10 years. Almost everybody who was anybody in the Monday Night Wars has returned and no-one has brought back all the lost viewers. It's not happening. They just need to focus on writing TV that is consistent and compelling and hooks the current audience. Then word will spread and the audience might grow slowly.

I agree with you and love the ambiguity of the feud with Ace. Everything he's doing could just be construed as an accident or management decisions, but I'm not sure the casual viewer wants that. I think they want a bad arse hero against a boss who hates him and the fans.

That's so overdone. I'm not sure anyone really wants to see angle #867 of nasty boss vs. wrestler.

You might be right. It might be too late to hook back in the old audience.

To your point of booking consistent TV that would eventually build up a fan base, I 100 % agree. Problem is WWE seem to panic whenever they put someone on top and the numbers don't instantly increase. I hope they do persist with the Punk stuff although it's already been heavily rumoured that they're not happy.

Going back to the original topic, there have been plenty of fucked up pushes over the years in TNA. Mexican star Hector Garza was in the middle of a substantial push in 2005 when he got busted bringing drugs over the border and couldn't wrestle in the States; TNA dropped him. Ryan Wilson got a big intro push as Trytan but was then abysmal in the ring and disappeared.

Going back to the original topic, there have been plenty of fucked up pushes over the years in TNA. Mexican star Hector Garza was in the middle of a substantial push in 2005 when he got busted bringing drugs over the border and couldn't wrestle in the States; TNA dropped him. Ryan Wilson got a big intro push as Trytan but was then abysmal in the ring and disappeared.

Fuck me, I forgot all about Trytan. There were vignettes for weeks. You think someone would have spotted he couldn't wrestle somewhere during all that build up.

Mordecai? That was quite a big build up for him then to be bland as fuck. Looked a lot sharper when he was Kevin Thorne.

When going to see the RAW Taping last November in the Liverpool Echo Arena. Some quality bastard bought a sign saying "Mordecai". I'm sure it got on telly aswell.

Another push that stands out which both got fucked up was Test. Both in the WWE returning to the ECW brand seemed like a big thing and when he came to TNA as "The Punisher". Which resulted in him on IMPACT for something like two weeks then a 'Doomsday Chamber Of Doom' or some shit like that at Hard Justice 2007. TNA saw that he was a liability and wasn't too healthy which resulted in them getting rid of him. Sadly around 6 months later he passed away.

• Paid Members

In relation to an above comment regarding Mexican talent in TNA, i think was it "Shocker" was in line for a big push , (or in the middle of said push), due to him being fairly big in Mexico at the time IIRC. He was about to win the X-Division Title, but just no-showed and fecked off back home.

Not sure if there is some sort of bigger story behind that, but it was reported he "No Showed" at the time.

In relation to an above comment regarding Mexican talent in TNA, i think was it "Shocker" was in line for a big push , (or in the middle of said push), due to him being fairly big in Mexico at the time IIRC. He was about to win the X-Division Title, but just no-showed and fecked off back home.

Not sure if there is some sort of bigger story behind that, but it was reported he "No Showed" at the time.

That sounds like Shocker alright.

Who was that Judas Mesias bloke as well? Came straight in into an upper-midcard feud, was sold as some huge monster, but was gone in weeks. He was short, basically. Does nobody vet these guys?

• Paid Members

Shocker was brought in after Garza was caught with steroids and getting deported. According to Wikipedia anyway. In my memory it was Shocker too, but his wiki doesn't mention it. Was it both?

• Paid Members

In relation to an above comment regarding Mexican talent in TNA, i think was it "Shocker" was in line for a big push , (or in the middle of said push), due to him being fairly big in Mexico at the time IIRC. He was about to win the X-Division Title, but just no-showed and fecked off back home.Not sure if there is some sort of bigger story behind that, but it was reported he "No Showed" at the time.

Shocker was brought in after Garza was caught with steroids and getting deported. According to Wikipedia anyway. In my memory it was Shocker too, but his wiki doesn't mention it. Was it both?
Not sure about Garza, although i remember various Triple A / CMLL guys floating about because of the "World X cup" or whatever that was. Does anybody else recall the 'new' Psycosis and La Parka that wrestled one week? I think it may of been on the old weekly PPV's, but i thought it'd be interesting, although they never turned up again.Speaking of "Do you remember...", does anybody recall the huge/short monster that was "X" from waaaaay back in the TNA early days? He turned up, killed like 5 or 6 X division guys in a row, then got beat and disapeared.

X from early TNA was Carl Ouellett, former Quebecer and Pirate.Didn't that Judas Mesias bloke take a nasty fall from a ladder in Mexico and bust his head on the floor, putting him out of action for a while and killing his TNA run? I have definitely seen the injury, but I'm not sure if he had finished with TNA by then or not.

Archived