You fucked your push up.....

tom

Darren Drozdov could have made it to the top as well if D'lo Brown hadn't been such a clutz.

droz.jpg

CM Punk is just a victim of the WWE corporate machine, yes he has had success in the WWE however because his image does not fit in with the goody goody John Cena look then he is stuffed.

Oh please could someone ban ar at least suspend this waste of space?

Back on topic didn't Lex Luger famously fuck up his planned Title win by bragging about being the next champion leading up to SummerSlam? or is that another myth?

If true that has to be near the top when it comes to screwing up a push.

You are free to state your opinions as I am free to state mine.

By the way did you ever complete Treasure Island Dizzy ?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back on topic didn't Lex Luger famously fuck up his planned Title win by bragging about being the next champion leading up to SummerSlam? or is that another myth?

The story was he got pissed up just before Mania X and told some journo in a bar. IIRC, this was one of those anecdotes Scott Keith shared when loads of people read his rants, and loads of people spread it round as fact. Steve Austin winning the WWF Title before getting injured at Final Four was another one. I'm sure it was a myth. To be fair to fat Scooter, he never claimed anything as stone cold truth, but enough readers of his chose to accept it as such and pass it round.

• Paid Members

You hear a load of those types of rumours. The best one I heard was Austin was supposed to win the IC belt in mid-96, but Ahmed Johnson won it instead. Ahmed then found a note saying "congrats nigger" on his locker door. Ahmed still swears blind it was Austin in his shoot interview.

I wouldnt start with Ahmed. He looks out of his tree in that shoot interview. Like he could rip your throat out if you angered him.

• Paid Members
Darren Drozdov could have made it to the top as well if D'lo Brown hadn't been such a clutz.

droz.jpg

CM Punk is just a victim of the WWE corporate machine, yes he has had success in the WWE however because his image does not fit in with the goody goody John Cena look then he is stuffed.

Oh please could someone ban ar at least suspend this waste of space?

You are free to state your opinions as I am free to state mine.

By the way did you ever complete Treasure Island Dizzy ?

Was the Droz thing a joke Dingo? It was shit if so.

D-Lo Brown happened to be the man doing the move on Droz but it was a combination of both that led to that accident. Droz wearing a lose fitting attire, which Droz himself states as his fault and negating D-Lo getting the right amount of grip to get Droz up. D-Lo also apparently slipped on something in the ring as well which didn't help matters. A terrible accident, no-one was being a "clutz".

To call D-Lo a "clutz" over an accident where a man was paralyzed is a bit shit man.

• Paid Members
Jericho nor Orton were an integral part of WWE's lowest ratings since 1997, Ron.

I just dug out some old Power Slams here, becuase I distinctly remember talk about "lowest ratings since 1997" when Jericho held the big belt in September and then November 2008. Ratings were around and often below the 3.0 mark then, and the latest Power Slam lists the three episodes after Survivor Series this year as rating 3.2, 3.19 and 2.96, which admittedly isn't great for Punk, but Jericho was indeed in that same position.

• Paid Members

Personally, I hope WWE try and get behind Punk for a few more months. I think Punk has been a lot better since he won the belt back, WWE need to have him overcome the odds more often though (like all good babyfaces). Previously, he has relied on back dooring his way into matches or just falling short, the way they booked him at TLC was perfect.

I think NEWM is being well harsh by calling his matches 'midcard', he's had some right belters this year. For me, it's the one area where he has looked up to it.

If Punk is bringing in the lowest ratings, isn't Vince going to be looking more at the merchandise numbers than at the ratings? Punk's 'Best In The World' shirt is commonly talked about as the most popular shirt this year, which would surely bring in more money?

I think NEWM is being well harsh by calling his matches 'midcard', he's had some right belters this year. For me, it's the one area where he has looked up to it.

I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just feel like I'm watching an IC Title match instead of a topliner. It's not a criticism as such, because they're entertaining in their own way, they're just not the sort of match I expect from a WWE headliner. The closest he's got to that is with (not at all coincidentally) John Cena and HHH, because he slows shit down, does less springboards out of bastard nowhere, and pays more attention to his facials and whether the crowd are into it or not. At the risk of sounding like a miserable old cunt, I just feel like he needs to watch some old tapes. It comes back to my original point of crowd connection. Though, I totally agree that he's turned a corner a bit on that front since Survivor Series.

He gets some flack on here, but I reckon The Miz is WAYYY underrated at having these matches. His Lawler and Orton matches earlier this year were good examples of him belonging up there with the guys who can do it already, and he's got a million more in him. Dolph Ziggler is a fucking blast at the moment, but he too needs to pull some of it back a bit when it comes to the big stage. He's compared a lot to Mr Perfect, and most people accept he was a perfect midcarder and only fodder at Main Event level. Dolph will fall into that if he's not careful.

• Paid Members
Personally, I hope WWE try and get behind Punk for a few more months. I think Punk has been a lot better since he won the belt back, WWE need to have him overcome the odds more often though (like all good babyfaces). Previously, he has relied on back dooring his way into matches or just falling short, the way they booked him at TLC was perfect.

I'm behind the idea of them sticking with Punk for longer too, as switching back to Cena again is just going to make it harder for audiences to invest in the next guy who threatens to break out. It's not like the ratings are at 2.5s or anything.

• Paid Members

I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just feel like I'm watching an IC Title match instead of a topliner. It's not a criticism as such, because they're entertaining in their own way, they're just not the sort of match I expect from a WWE headliner. The closest he's got to that is with (not at all coincidentally) John Cena and HHH, because he slows shit down, does less springboards out of bastard nowhere, and pays more attention to his facials and whether the crowd are into it or not. At the risk of sounding like a miserable old cunt, I just feel like he needs to watch some old tapes. It comes back to my original point of crowd connection. Though, I totally agree that he's turned a corner a bit on that front since Survivor Series.

He gets some flack on here, but I reckon The Miz is WAYYY underrated at having these matches. His Lawler and Orton matches earlier this year were good examples of him belonging up there with the guys who can do it already, and he's got a million more in him. Dolph Ziggler is a fucking blast at the moment, but he too needs to pull some of it back a bit when it comes to the big stage. He's compared a lot to Mr Perfect, and most people accept he was a perfect midcarder and only fodder at Main Event level. Dolph will fall into that if he's not careful.

I know I've been disagreeing with Punk fitting in this thread, but that's a tremendous post.

You're an absolute mental, right?

Anyway, I'd say The Brian Kendrick fits in here. He had a great run in the Unforgiven 08 WWE Title Scramble match, even getting a pin to become "current champion" at one point. A whole lotta pot later, and he's floundering on Raw and then out of WWE all together. Shame, I liked the character and really enjoyed his work during the push.

• Paid Members

I, shockingly, disagree. For me, wrestling is about variety and it's part of the problem WWE have at the minute. When business was super hot those couple of times, the top talent had different styles that stood out. A Hogan match was different to a Savage match, for example. I'm sure some folk back in the day were saying "slow shit down and less top rope axe handles from out of bastard nowhere" too. I'd also use his matches at 'Mania, Money In The Bank, Summer Slam, Survivor Series and TLC as evidence against you saying 'he needs to listen to the crowd more'. The fans lapped all that up and some were the most heated bouts this year.

• Paid Members
NEWM got in there before me, CM Punk definatly. He was given the rare responsibility of writing his own promo's, got an immense amount of screen time and has just bottled it really. Looking at the ratings, it seems the folks at home agree.

So Monday Night Football at the ass-end of the NFL regular season has had nothing to do with it?

Archived