Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

To Goldberg, its a job, not a passion, so its all about the money and thats absolutely fine. Its the same when people were talking about Falcou moving to Monaco for the money instead of somewhere like Chelsea or Man City where he would have more competition. At the end of the day its a job and you go to work to earn money, if your passionate about your work as well, then great, but how moany of us would take less money for the same job somewhere elseor in Goldbergs case, take more less money than he wants for something he doesn't need to do?

I can't understand why he wouldn't want to do it...its WrestleMania. He's a millionaire, he isn't doing a great deal with himself as far as I can tell...I'm sure WWE's original offer to him if indeed they have actually made an offer was a pretty tidy sum so why not? he can't really be that bothered is all I can think and that's a bit of a let down for his fan's I'm sure. I really hope WWE don't bend over backward and give him some crazy money for a spear and jack-hammer spot at WrestleMania, it for me personally wouldn't add to the show. I'd much rather see Ryback take the piss out of him and stick on a pair of black tights, do the Goldberg entrance and the same spot and stick it down Goldberg's throat, at least it gets a young WWE Superstar on the card and gives him a chance to get over. It will save WWE a fortune and probably still get a big reaction. Please don't cater to him, Goldberg need's WWE more than WWE need's him in my opinion.

Carbomb were you going to call me a mark by chance? lol I don't understand that term apart from a wrestling fan who thinks wrestling is real which I obviously don't. Its the most stupid word ever and has no meaning to me. I just believe there are wrestling fans with different levels of knowledge and understanding for the wrestling business. Which side would be the mark?

Edited by C-Rock

Nothing in the wrestling world makes me sadder than dedicated fan boys who can't get their head round the idea that its an industry, a horrible one, and people might seek the best terms for them and their families.

It's alright for us. We get to sit on our sofas and watch glossy video packages with violins, favourable lighting and Cena lifting the title with thousands of adoring fans cheering him on. We're not really exposed to the bit afterwards where he pops his shoulder back in place, takes some pain meds, pisses a little blood and cries about the fact that this industry took a hard, throbbing shaft to his relationship with his childhood sweetheart. As much as we like to feel informed, we don't know shit about what it's really like because we're all goo eyed over official WWE releases which make it all look so brill.

Wrestling is a grotty, grotty industry that chews people up and spits you out beaten, broken and completely unfit for society. If you're lucky.

There's fuck all job security, you give up at least some of the most important years in the formation of any career (18-39) only to then be at the whim of a couple of jacked up meatheads who decided whether your face fits. When you do get on TV you've got to drag your 20 stone arse onto the crampiest, shittest flights to Arsemelt, Arkansas and back (that you've paid for yourself); try and find time to work out and then get to the arena and bounce around to the point where you can probably actually feel the years rolling off your life (but dont get injured, that'll hurt the paycheque. Which is a shame, seeing as youll be paying your own medical bills). By this point, being cheered isn't the icing on an ace cake it's probably the only thing that gets you through the day. Oh, that and the pain pills. You know, the things that make your heart pop.

By the time you've finished, you've probably lost whatever relationship you may have had going on and you're unlikely to get another because your knees click, your bladder leaks and you have the skin of a 90 year old scrotum after a cold bath. And, best hope you were one of the 0.001% of people who reach the mountain top because there is fuck all pension to speak of.

And the worst thing about all that? The above is what you can hope for if you reach the WWE (most of the guys that sail through WWE still end up on the shit heap). The wrestling equivalent of 'making it'. Jesus. I can only imagine what it's like to be one of those guys who thinks they can make a living mutilating themselves in front of a bunch of blood pervs in some gym. Grim.

Under those circumstances I applaud anyone with the resolve to stick firm to a negotiating stance, or anyone who gets out with a stack of cash and without an adult nappy. Yeah, we should really support those guys.

Because those with a passion, those that went to get on? They'll do anything to achieve their dream. They'll take an arseload of steroids and pain pills and murder their family, or die in a motel bathroom, or they'll end up in rehab for the vices they used to get them through the day. Or, if they're lucky, they'll just be ritually humiliated by one of the nastiest industry's going, y'know like Good ol' JR, one of the most loyal, wrestling marks (see; 'passion') ever employed by a wrestling company.

Wrestling would be a happier place if we got more behind the guys with a sensible head on their shoulders, and not assume that these wrestlers should be happy just to be allowed to have their lives raped at the altar of our fake sport in the slim, slim hope of being amongst the tiny group who actually, properly 'make it'.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

When you do get on TV you've got to drag your 20 stone arse onto the crampiest, shittest flights to Arsemelt, Arkansas and back (that you've paid for yourself);

This isn't the case. WWE wrestlers don't pay for their own flights, and I don't think TNA wrestlers do either? Not that TNA runs many places anymore anyway.

I can't understand why he wouldn't want to do it...its WrestleMania.

Because ultimately that's fucking meaningless. The only people who give a shit about that are deluded wrestling fans.

As for "Goldberg needs WWE" no he doesn't. That's the whole point. Goldberg was smart, he made his money, saved it, didn't destroy himself, didn't act like an idiot, etc. To be honest if you have the strength to reach the heights of this business and then get out and stay out then you've done well. Look at what we've seen from other top guys. Foley's a wreck who supposedly can't put his socks on.

To make your money and get out with your body still intact and enough money to live a decent life and not be somebody else's bitch sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring makes you the best worker. Because that's what it is. Work. Its nothing more noble than that.

What makes Goldberg particularly admirable is the fact that he made millions of dollars from wrestling setting himself up for life in a combined total of around 4 years, from 1997 to 2001.

Even if he did view certain things in the business as special goals in his life (like how Ultimo Dragon wanted to appear at a WrestleMania and have a match in Madison Square Garden) ... Big Bill has done all of those things already.

Edited by dopper

• Moderators

So wait, wrestler makes his money, leaves on his own terms with his health and sanity intact, and wants to angle the best possible deal for himself if was to return and he's being attacked for it?

Well, that's idiotic. He should be fucking applauded if anything.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

That was a terrific post by Daz up there. Really makes you step back and put things into perspective when you think about the industry. And if that's bad, think how much of a rotten industry BritWres is- which has almost as much politicking but without any money or worth!

This isn't the case. WWE wrestlers don't pay for their own flights, and I don't think TNA wrestlers do either? Not that TNA runs many places anymore anyway.

Yeah, weirdly, I think I knew that. I think I was trying to put across the point that you have to pay your travel to and from the airports (and I think you still have to pay your accommodation?).

I would go back and edit, but I don't want to be that guy.

• Paid Members
Carbomb were you going to call me a mark by chance? lol I don't understand that term apart from a wrestling fan who thinks wrestling is real which I obviously don't. Its the most stupid word ever and has no meaning to me. I just believe there are wrestling fans with different levels of knowledge and understanding for the wrestling business. Which side would be the mark?

Wasn't going to call you anything, hence why I ended my post when I did. There are people better suited to that particular task than I. I'm just saying: Goldberg's lack of passion for the business shouldn't be a big deal to the fans, as it has no impact on whether or not he entertains you - he got pretty huge without it. The only people who should be bothered by it are wrestlers, and even then it's arguable, because if they're on a card with him, they're going to make more money as a result.