Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
Circumstances. My parents would never take me to wrestling shows when growing up (my dad only liked the British stuff), I was never really tempted by house shows, hated the sound of Insurrexion and Rebellion, and fate seemed to time their tapings in the UK to coincide with every financial low point I was ever at. Only time they ever had a UK show that I had money for, the product was so shit I wasn't bothered.

I find that so strange. I thought everyone who hit the "ugh, WWE house shows/shitty UK pay-per-views? I'd rather be in BritWres" stage (which requires a certain hardcore level of fandom) had to have first gone through the "WWF ARE COMING OVER? I'M THERE, NO MATTER WHAT!" phase. I can understand it with younger fans, who might have been a victim of the years when they'd only do Rebellion and Insurrexion and had already read too many Powerslams by the time they started touring again. But anyone around my age who was big into wrestling would have surely been to a show either during the Hogan or Hart eras or on the Attitude Adjustment tour, I'd have thought. I might be spoilt on that front by Birmingham getting shows on most of the tours, but not the Hogan one in '93, which I was gutted about.

Like I say, the Hogan/Hart years, my parents just wouldn't take me to wrestling. By the time I was of an age where I could afford to go by myself, I either wasn't bothered about the product or just didn't have enough cash.

Been to one house show, in 2005 when I was 15. Was a pretty good time talent and product wise, 6 days after WM21, the card was fairly strong. We had Jericho, Kane, Christian, Edge, Benoit, Flair, Triple H and new World Champ Batista as the major players. Orton, Trish and HBK were originally scheduled in different roles but pulled out due to injuries.

Really enjoyed it and I'm considering going this year, I'm in a pretty good financial position at the moment and they tour here in July. Then again, I've always wanted to hit America, maybe I should hold off a bit and get Mania tix instead! :D

• Paid Members

Only been to one WWE show, a house show in 2003 I think. It was shit. Easily the best roster of talent I've ever seen- Benoit, Los Guerreros, Brock, Mysterio, Big Show, Cena (I think)... but it was surprisingly crap. I preferred the Frontiers of Honor show the week after and even the WWA Wembley show the previous year. I'm sure I'd really enjoy a live Raw taping today, though.

• Paid Members
I went to Insurrextion 2001 (I think) and it was fucking shit so you didn't miss anything.

To be honest, no matter what forum I was on, all Rebellions and Insurrexions sounded like shit. It was made painfully clear we weren't getting WWE's A-game, despite it being filmed for broadcast - basically glorified house shows.

Rebellion 2000 was class. You had a title change, Undertaker vs Benoit, a series of skits where Kurt Angle tried to get help for his title defence and then a top notch main event of Rikishi vs Kurt Angle vs The Rock vs Stone Cold.

The next year Rebellion was headlined by The Rock vs Stone Cold in what was their only Wrestlemania 17 rematch until they faced off at Wrestlemania 19. That show also had a superb Angle vs Jericho match and Edge vs Christian in a cage.

Anyone know who the masked guy is in this video? Don't recognise him.

I think it's the gear Ricardo Rodriguez has used on a few House Shows wrestling as 'El Local', but as Ricardo is also in the video it must be somebody else under the mask.

I think it's the gear Ricardo Rodriguez has used on a few House Shows wrestling as 'El Local', but as Ricardo is also in the video it must be somebody else under the mask.

Altar Boy Luke from XPW

Ricardo has also wrestled on TV on Saturday Morning Slam as El Local.