Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
That second picture does look like a guy who does ballet though to be fair.

And the names you listed are mostly special cases. Flair used to look bigger early in his career, was an exceptional talked and master in the ring. Same with Shawn. Neither man looks like a generic cage fighter either. Name me one skinny guy on the indy scene currently who's as charismatic as Dusty Rhodes. Taker is a big damn dude, and one of the best big damn dudes of all time. Not so much now admittedly, but he has that legacy behind him. The two guys in the pictures, whoever the fuck they are, are they anywhere near as charismatic as the other guys you named? If not then they don't have the size nor the charisma.

Guys on the indy scene with Charisma? Kevin Steen, El Generico, Kenny Omega, Sami Calihan, Adam Cole, Willie Mack...and thats just guys from PWG. Yes, for every excellent guy on the indies you get a metric shithouse of bad workers, which obviously attributes to the scene's bad name. However, the people i've mentioned there are 'special cases' of the indy scene; guys who have IT.

In regards to the pictures; the guy on the bottom is Brian Cage, who eludes charisma from his pours and has great vocal skills, crowd connection and skill to boot. The other guy is...um...Davey Richards...who i only really used to illustrate the point of not having to be a bodybuilder. I won't get into his skill set as i know he is of questionable content around here, mostly due to a certain animated gif...

• Paid Members
Extremely successful chaps like CM Punk, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, Bret Hart and Shawn Micheals totally derail you there i'm afraid.

Only Punk and at a push Michaels meet the body type you're extolling. Undertaker's a giant, Dusty and Foley tubs of guts, Flair and Bret could never have been described as "chisled and ripped."

Extremely successful chaps like CM Punk, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, Bret Hart and Shawn Micheals totally derail you there i'm afraid.

Only Punk and at a push Michaels meet the body type you're extolling. Undertaker's a giant, Dusty and Foley tubs of guts, Flair and Bret could never have been described as "chisled and ripped."

I think he was saying that they aren't big bodybuilder types. Or I just misunderstood.

• Paid Members

Jake roberts

Saying that, I fucking love me some Warlord. Size and shape is one thing, the biggest issue is gimmicks. Have big muscle men portray the likes of Hercules. Bring back the bin men, the disco dancers, and bare feet if your from an island. There's room for small and massive wrestlers, but not when they all portray hair models with 2-tone trunks.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Quite interesting to consider that a huge guy like Undertaker didn't get noticed because of a physique which is obviously an important factor in getting noticed. I suppose Sheamus is a similar modern day counterpart as he's a big guy but has such a distinguished look that his physique isn't the initial thing you notice about him.

Not every big guy needs to be jacked, otherwise you end up with a fistful of Matt Morgans, and nobody likes that.

In fact, in many respects, once you get into the 6'6" and over category, you'll stand out more if you've got a really different look. Taker is tall and ominous, Vader was built like a wrecking ball, Dusty was a big tub of lard. Guys like Big Show or Khali have that Giantism featureset that adds to their mystique.

They need more guys like Umaga and less like Morgan. Once you've got one Batista muscleman established, the impact of another is always going to be less.

Speaking of indy guys and TNA, Matt Jackson of the Young Bucks (Generation Me) tweeted this yesterday: "Our New Years Resolution is to wrestle Daniels & Kazarian in an Impact Wrestling ring."

Now, I'm all for a new tag team or two coming to TNA but please not those two again. Please.

Edited by pgi86

They were shite, but they were only young. If they slowed down, learned some psychology, hit the gym, bought some boots with lifts, and got a tan... they'd be ok.

They were shite, but they were only young. If they slowed down, learned some psychology, hit the gym, bought some boots with lifts, and got a tan... they'd be ok.

I thought in-ring wise they were fine in TNA. Although i know im in the minority. IIRC they even had an entertaining last match vs Eric Young and Shark Boy!

Maybe they just don't really work in TNA cos in PWG they have been amazing for 3 years or so now.

• Paid Members

I think he was saying that they aren't big bodybuilder types. Or I just misunderstood.

Correct. Gold star.

And aye, the Bucks in PWG are tremendous. In TNA they were just told to be TryHardy Boys. In PWG they are cocky, arrogant albeit violent heels whom you would gladly pay money to see get beat up. Hard.

In other words, if they changed pretty much everything about themselves, they may just be something other than a couple of shitehawks :)

To be fair, I probably wouldn't mind them if they were to be given a role which just saw them being beaten up, something along the lines of PG-13 in the WWF for example, but you just can't help but laugh at the absurdity of them when they're actually on offence with all their ridiculously contrived indieriffic moves, double teams, sequences etc.