Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

People also fail to realise that times have changed a lot over the last 2 decades with regard weight training. A lot of these guys train a lot smarter these days (Rock, Cena, Triple H, Ryback included). I don't think it's such a great thing (as much as I love Bryan) having ordinary looking guys on top. As much as people will jump to the roidheads thing when looking at wrestlers they will just as quickly jump to the 'but I reckon I could take him' comments too. And that's never good!

• Paid Members

If Rock came back looking bigger than ever, then he's marketed all over the shop in a Cena-Rock II at Mania it would mean a definite end to the smaller guys main eventing. Ryback, Cena, Rock and Lesnar's success this year spells the end for the smaller guys. I hope I'm wrong!

Edited by niff

• Paid Members

I hope you're not. Bigger guys look a lot more like stars, simple as that. Hogan, Warrior, Rocky, Savage, Cena and Triple H- all jacked. Bret and Austin weren't exactly skinny either, and being big wasn't their thing.

• Paid Members
If Rock comes back looking like that it will convince all those who think of wrestling (the non wrestling fans) as full of roided up empty heads with a short life span. Its been great the last year or so with Bryan and Punk and smaller guys main eventing.

But who cares what the non-wrestling fans think? That has no relevance to anything. Non-wrestling fans will see Rock and think "steroids" and they will look at CM Punk and think "skinny pussy". Either way they won't be buying a ticket, merchandise or ordering a PPV so who gives a fuck?

• Paid Members

Yeah. Wrestlers should look like wrestlers. They should be big strong guys, that's why they became wrestlers. They shouldn't look like shopkeepers, taxi drivers or bin men.

In other news. Chyna has finally gained a bit of recognition from her peers in the industry. No, not rasslin, her other industry :

Chyna is nominated for the award of Most Outrageous Sex Scene for Chyna Is Queen of the Ring in

Brian Cage's Twitter is suggesting he might have signed for TNA or be on Gut Check. He could just be making things up i guess to get people talking, i'm not sure.

For those who don't know him, he has had a dark match in TNA and definetly looks the part:

MG_5123.jpg

If Rock comes back looking like that it will convince all those who think of wrestling (the non wrestling fans) as full of roided up empty heads with a short life span. Its been great the last year or so with Bryan and Punk and smaller guys main eventing.

But who cares what the non-wrestling fans think? That has no relevance to anything. Non-wrestling fans will see Rock and think "steroids" and they will look at CM Punk and think "skinny pussy". Either way they won't be buying a ticket, merchandise or ordering a PPV so who gives a fuck?

Because you want to entice people into your product. The aim is to grow the fanbase and history shows larger than life characters who are typically big in size capture the attention more than smaller guys.

Edited by Sphinx

Yeah. Wrestlers should look like wrestlers. They should be big strong guys, that's why they became wrestlers. They shouldn't look like shopkeepers, taxi drivers or bin men.

Unless they have a shopkeeper, taxi driver or bin man gimmick, that is.

• Paid Members

Because you want to entice people into your product. The aim is to grow the fanbase and history shows larger than life characters who are typically big in size capture the attention more than smaller guys.

I've found that big, hulking mammoth-men would actually put off non-fans as it asserts the whole 'gay men in tights' stereotype. Smaller, yet still chisled and ripped wreslters who look like legit athletes is the best cert to hook in anybody who is curious about wrestling. Yes, have them 'larger than life' character wise, but don't go sticking a dozen pairs of roided up biceps on a show and think that your 'old school' mentality is going to pay off.

• Paid Members
I've found that big, hulking mammoth-men would actually put off non-fans as it asserts the whole 'gay men in tights' stereotype. Smaller, yet still chisled and ripped wreslters who look like legit athletes is the best cert to hook in anybody who is curious about wrestling.

And I've found that a bunch of wiry guys doing athletic stuff asserts the "fake fighting ballet" stereotype and attracts shouts of "I could beat him up!" from non-fans.

Yes, have them 'larger than life' character wise, but don't go sticking a dozen pairs of roided up biceps on a show and think that your 'old school' mentality is going to pay off.

Old-school, absolutely. That's why in the 21st Century the company that employs the biggest and most muscular guys they can find like John Cena, Triple H, Dave Batista, Brock Lesnar and the Rock hold their events in front of a few hundred people, and the companies that rely on small but athletically gifted Flippy McGillicutty and Kenny Kickpads regularly attract seventy thousand or so to their biggest event of the year.

• Paid Members
I've found that big, hulking mammoth-men would actually put off non-fans as it asserts the whole 'gay men in tights' stereotype. Smaller, yet still chisled and ripped wreslters who look like legit athletes is the best cert to hook in anybody who is curious about wrestling.

And I've found that a bunch of wiry guys doing athletic stuff asserts the "fake fighting ballet" stereotype and attracts shouts of "I could beat him up!" from non-fans.

4705967084_1a59447139.jpg

thumbs_james-abbott-pac-1.jpg

1.png

Yes, because these fellows totally look like they could be beaten up by your average joe. I'm not talking about your skinny, average, Disturbed loving spot monkey here. Wrestlers need to be well-built, like a UFC fighter or track-and-fielder, not guys with biceps as big as a loaf of bread. This is the 21st century; it's not going to hook in non-fans anymore. I'd much rather it be described as 'fake ballet' than 'a bunch of guys rolling around in oil'.

Yes, have them 'larger than life' character wise, but don't go sticking a dozen pairs of roided up biceps on a show and think that your 'old school' mentality is going to pay off.

Old-school, absolutely. That's why in the 21st Century the company that employs the biggest and most muscular guys they can find like John Cena, Triple H, Dave Batista, Brock Lesnar and the Rock hold their events in front of a few hundred people, and the companies that rely on small but athletically gifted Flippy McGillicutty and Kenny Kickpads regularly attract seventy thousand or so to their biggest event of the year.

Extremely successful chaps like CM Punk, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, Bret Hart and Shawn Micheals totally derail you there i'm afraid. They don't have bodybuilder-esque bodies yet they have made big money for big companies.

Edited by Accident Prone

Brian Cage's Twitter is suggesting he might have signed for TNA or be on Gut Check. He could just be making things up i guess to get people talking, i'm not sure.

Strangely enough, Jay Bradley is suggesting the exact same thing today. Hmm. Could this be a case of TNA bringing in outside talent for those two 3-hour specials (tag team & X Division) they're taping next week?

That second picture does look like a guy who does ballet though to be fair.

And the names you listed are mostly special cases. Flair used to look bigger early in his career, was an exceptional talked and master in the ring. Same with Shawn. Neither man looks like a generic cage fighter either. Name me one skinny guy on the indy scene currently who's as charismatic as Dusty Rhodes. Taker is a big damn dude, and one of the best big damn dudes of all time. Not so much now admittedly, but he has that legacy behind him. The two guys in the pictures, whoever the fuck they are, are they anywhere near as charismatic as the other guys you named? If not then they don't have the size nor the charisma.

And this is coming from a guy who watches lucha which is full of skinny fuckers. They're sensible though and chuck a mask on. Also my enjoyment when I do watch the 'E and what I'm looking for is quite different to that which I get out of lucha.

Edited by Vamp