Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

They probably do, although I seem to recall the "door" section on the front was broken during its last use, so it may not be worth using. The current belt still has the keys and door gimmick, although the lock doesn't work in the same way.

Its made by wildcat belts should you want to look it up. 

Mind blown a bit. Do champions not travel round with their title belts then?

Its down to the company themselves I think. Some allow the talents to keep the belts, whilst others dont. I recall WWE have more than one version of a title (They have the regular belts, then they have super shiny ones for HD TV, is that right?) which they allow the talent to keep hold of the reglar belts for appearances/etc, but WWE keep the super HD ones or something like that.

Not really super shiny - just well taken care of.

The 'HD' belts are stored with production and travel with all the other equipment. They're only handed to the champions/talent when they need it as they go through the curtain etc.

The travel belts are typically old TV belts (such as the IC - best example was when the IC betl would have texture at appearances, and then plain on TV) and are usually a mess. You can see them at signings/appearances, occasionally on instagram and show a lot more wear and tear. There was a tag posted a while back with barely any shine, scratches all over the place - a complete contrast to the well cared for TV belt.

There's spares, extras, older belts lying around in boxes. I'd hate to see the bill for that!

A good few indy promotions are doing the same now as well. Promotions, especially small ones without a huge budget, can't afford to replace belts constantly and wrestlers typically don't see them as they really are (someone else's property). Even with a large disposable profit margin, why have your most expensive prop sitting in someones bag to rot between shows?

Randomly watching the old WWE events on the network and still amazes me how the security at ringside stood out back then as well as the photographers leaning on the ring during the show. Although it looked cluttered it kind of adds to the show. These days its all too polished for my liking.

• Paid Members

Randomly watching the old WWE events on the network and still amazes me how the security at ringside stood out back then as well as the photographers leaning on the ring during the show. Although it looked cluttered it kind of adds to the show. These days its all too polished for my liking.

EVERYTHING on WWE TV these days is too polished for my liking.

"According to The Wrestling Observer, a plan was once pitched which would have seen Brock Lesnar debut on WWE TV as a gay character.

The idea would have been to have a big guy appear on TV, and later out himself as being gay. The character would not, however, exploit any gay stereotypes but would instead be an alpha-male ass-kicker who happens to also be gay. Upon learning of Brock Lesnar’s imminent arrival to the WWE main roster, the idea was to have Lesnar play the role.

The idea was created by two of WWE’s Magazine writers at the time, one of which was Brian Solomon. Solomon pitched the idea directly to Stephanie McMahon, explaining to her that the character would “blow fans away”, as he would be a hyper-masculine, top babyface who would reveal himself as gay. WWE felt the character would get a lot of support from the gay community, as well as praise from the media for WWE’s “progressive character.”

The idea reportedly made it all the way to the writer’s room, but was eventually shot down by older agents in WWE who thought it was a terrible idea. The idea was something which later lead to the Billy and Chuck story line."

Well that's pretty fucking interesting. Gay Brock. it's like a glimpse into some alternate universe

Also hilarious that they took a progressive gimmick idea that could've got them a lot of praise and turned it into Billy & Chuck

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

Not very interesting in fairness. It was never even close to happening and Lesnar (as a man who hates gays) would never have done it. WWE have employed a load of idiots over the years who have no idea how to present their wrestlers.

In similar news, yesterday Ed Ferrera said Christopher Daniels was pitched to be the Higher Power in 1999, but Vince McMahon almost vomited at the idea (I may have exaggerated the last bit slightly) .

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Lesnar hates gays?

I'm glad Brock didn't get that gimmick but seeing as they kept the idea floating around for a bit until it mutated itself into Billy & Chuck, it's interesting on that basis alone. With a disposable big guy and not Brock fucking Lesnar, the gimmick might have been worth a shot - for 2002 standards it was passable anyway, it's just funny that they took it in the complete opposite direction.