Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I'm sure many people from in the industry would just say to smack him back.

When I did a spot of training I was directly told, if it happens, you give him one back or give him a "receipt". The in ring competition is based on trust, but the etiquette is very different, based more on respect, than anything else I've ever come across. If somebody is being a cock, they keep a slap. You don't call the police, you just man up, and give him one back. You're right in saying it shouldn't happen, but that would be for the workers to sort out between themselves.

As stupid as that sounds, that's the way it works, and if you are not tough enough to be in that world, you shouldn't be around it. I can imagine anybody who worked a bit snug with him, he must of thought they had it in for him or something.

• Paid Members

From Bob Magee's "As I See It" Column

A little bit of wrestling history died this past week.

Inside Wrestling and The Wrestler will cease publication after this month's issue.

For most of us, they were the first place we ever got "news" about wrestling. Mind you, this was "news" handed to them by the promotions they were writing about. Most of the time, the news was fictionalized accounts loosely based on wrestling storylines ala soap opera magazines. But generations of parents saw their children begging them for one of these wrestling magazines every time they went to the supermarket, the drug store, or the newstand. Children would stare at the pictures for hours and hours, while reading the "stories".

These magazines, along with Pro Wrestling Illustrated, were what is known by most people as the “Apter-mags,” even though actually founded by Stanley Weston in 1966. Their symbolic namesake, Bill Apter, now with 1wrestling.com, has been a universally identifiable face around wrestling arenas for nearly 40 years as writer and photographer. When a new magazine that at least suggested a rivalry to the Weston magazines, WOW Magazine, was founded; Apter jumped, and was told he "could never come back". Amusingly enough, the website for Pro Wrestling Illustrated magazine has totally sanitized their history of any mention of Apter...and continues to do so this day.

Ownership has changed over the years, from Stanley Weston to Oscar De La Hoya to the current owners, Kappa Publishing.

With the era of newsletters such as the Wrestling Observer and the Pro Wrestling Torch that reported legitimate news in real time...then the explosion of the Internet, wrestling magazines whose press dates meant their "news" was months old didn't exactly have much appeal.

Even outside the US, wrestling magazines have been on the decline, with Weekly Pro Wrestling the only remaining major wrestling magazine in Japan, after years with many reporting legitimately on their wrestling scene. In Mexico, Box Y Lucha is still going strong. In the UK, the Fighting Spitor magazine exists.

Technology may have rendered these magazines largely obsolete, but it's still sad to see them go. It's a part of our history as fans.

I remember reading these 'back in the day' but then as I have previously said, with the advent of the internet newz sites, I'm surprised that any wrestling mag survives these days. I used to read inside wrestling normally when I already had that months PWI. But then I haven't read either of them for years. I might browse it in smiths for the PWI 500, but then usually someone on here posts the list so I don't even have to bother with that.

Edited by Snake Plissken

• Paid Members
Just read that, apparently, Brooke "Tessmacher" Adams is now dating Robbie E. Good on ya, Big Rob!

They just had her doing an angle where she turned him down in favour of Big Rob T. Ah, wrestling.

2 things from the last few posts.

First does this mean the PWI 500 is no more because that usually gave a few laughs.

Second was anyone else looking at that picture like a horror film and screaming to themselves "NOOOOOOO Don't eat the popcorn Brooke. TNA needs your ass to survive?"

• Paid Members

"Fighting Spitor" sounds like either a cracking gimmick or a He-Man baddie. Ludicrous typo, mind.

Just read that, apparently, Brooke "Tessmacher" Adams is now dating Robbie E. Good on ya, Big Rob!

3PW to Tessmacher's arse in a decade. Hard work and patience yields rewards.

First does this mean the PWI 500 is no more because that usually gave a few laughs.

No. Read it. It's Inside Wrestling and The Wrestler which are finishing, not PWI.

• Paid Members
Mind you, it was always obvious when she was skint as i'd have to choose between Match and Shoot. There was no bigger dilemma for a 9 year old, in life.

Really? MatchFacts? MatchMan? What did Shoot have, honestly?