Twitter - You on it? Version 2.0

Snake Plissken

• Paid Members

There's countless articles out there about Twitter, have you actually looked for any? Here's a nice concise list of 3,000 articles on the Econsultancy website alone.

As for why people use it, it's microblogging. Literally blogging for someone who has no attention span. Like a Facebook status, if that's all Facebook was. So for the same reason people blog or update their Facebook status; they've thought of something and think enough of their opinion that they wish to share it with others. The celebrity aspect came later and mainly attracted a whole load of white noise to Twitter, much like the sort of users you mention.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then we were talking about social media and employability at uni and the point of Twitter came up and how an employer could easily go through someone's Twitter to see what they say? ;)

I'd invited someone to interview for a job running a website. I casually flicked through their social media channels. On Twitter, minutes after the call, they'd put "Accepted an interview for an awful job I don't want" (paraphrasing, but the message was clear).

We rung him back to tell him not to bother.

The graduate we selected this year has a blog. One of the secretary's found it when she googled his name, to try and get an idea of his origin (ie his name sounded German).

On his blog he talks about the battle he had deciding whether to stick with what he loves doing and probably not having the nice things in life, or joining the rat race, doing what he can to get ahead and one over his colleages (that'll be cunts like me) and then leave with his nest egg after about 5 years of playing the game.

Interestingly this all came to light days after he joined us, so is now a kind of negative bias in our minds before really working with the bloke. Fun and games.

• 2 weeks later...

Then we were talking about social media and employability at uni and the point of Twitter came up and how an employer could easily go through someone's Twitter to see what they say? ;)

I'd invited someone to interview for a job running a website. I casually flicked through their social media channels. On Twitter, minutes after the call, they'd put "Accepted an interview for an awful job I don't want" (paraphrasing, but the message was clear).

We rung him back to tell him not to bother.

My Twitter is private for the above. I dont want any jobs worths/snitches looking thru my tweets only to be penalised because i have used the right of free speech.

Besides, the only things you cant do with a private Twitter is get RT'd or contribute to trends.

• Paid Members

Just use your head and don’t slag off your employer? Especially in the first 60 seconds of employment.

The guy deserved it. Especially a job running a website, where it’s not unexpected the employer may be tech-savvy and can find a Twitter profile.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

So I've just started using Twitter again after a significant absence, only this time, for business use.  

I realise it's kind of a must these days for businesses, especially small start ups with next to no budget, I'm really torn though.  It seems the way to make Twitter work from a professional point of view basically means doing everything that I hate and avoid social media for on a personal front for, adding anyone and everyone in your or a related field, resulting in a time line full of motivational quotes, accompanied by images of said quote which look as though they've been turned around in MSPaint, or insights like "lovin life! #entrapreneur #business #professional #lifecoach #inspiration #wanking #motivation #winning"

It's fucking terrible.  Like on one hand, I really want to make a decent stab at it, but fuck me, if it means stooping to that sort of level, i think i'd rather just knock it on the head.

#Principles.

It depends which sector you're in, John. I think it's overrated by a lot of businesses. As long as it isn't entirely bare then if's fine. One or two daily updates and a few hundred followers should be fine for most start ups.

The thing is, I rarely find that Twitter converts into any sort of revenue so it isn't worth worrying about or spending too much time on. Empty social media sites with no followers doesn't look appealing but there's no need to over complicate things.

There are plenty more effective marketing tools than Twitter and Instagram (I find Instagram more effective than Twitter) but it depends on your business. 

• Paid Members

It depends on who you're trying to attract. If it's B2B then LinkedIn is the better way of connecting whereas Facebook and Twitter are better for B2C. I've been experimenting with PPC and SEO marketing. It's all trial and error at the moment but I'm drilling down a bit after a month of trying this and that.

• Awards Moderator

The thing is, I rarely find that Twitter converts into any sort of revenue so it isn't worth worrying about or spending too much time on.

If you use Google Analytics, check out the Attribution Modelling section. It takes a little while to get your head around but can help you properly define those channels that contribute to revenue. Twitter and the like often sit way up in the customer path so it's not always obvious how they nudge a conversion along.

My bad if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but a lot of people overlook these reports.

Archived