Twitter - You on it? Version 2.0

Snake Plissken

• Moderators
Yeah, my brother does the same. He's under a different name, he's claiming.

I've been watching what I say any way due to somebody sending the Community Police to my front-door for one of my Youtube videos about six months ago. Some guy said he was going to get me done on Twitter and I didn't believe him. It was regarding the one of me taking a look inside a derelict Reid Street in Bridgeton tenement. Said I was knicking all of the metal out of the building. A bizarre complaint. Luckily the police didn't do anything. Didn't even look at the video. Just got a talking to at my door. 100% true.

bAzTNM and the bAz Boot Band with their #1 single

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My old man revealed to me on the phone earlier that while he doesn't have a twitter account, he does every now and again look at my account and read all my tweets. Cue half an hour of going back the last few months to see if I've said anything dodgy.

My dad does the same. I only found out because I saw him browsing through my Twitter feed when I was home last Christmas since my brother had showed him something I'd written. In some ways, I guess it just means he can keep up to speed with what I do/say since I don't really use Facebook any more. In other ways, I always imagine my dad reading my tweets and just being somewhere between bemused and mildly disappointed.

Then we were talking about social media and employability at uni and the point of Twitter came up and how an employer could easily go through someone's Twitter to see what they say since it's a lot more public in general than Facebook. I don't have anything incriminating or dodgy, I just talk a lot about motorsport, wrestling, my knees/back and cake. Who wouldn't want to hire me based on that? ;)

• Awards Moderator
Then we were talking about social media and employability at uni and the point of Twitter came up and how an employer could easily go through someone's Twitter to see what they say? ;)

I'd invited someone to interview for a job running a website. I casually flicked through their social media channels. On Twitter, minutes after the call, they'd put "Accepted an interview for an awful job I don't want" (paraphrasing, but the message was clear).

We rung him back to tell him not to bother.

• Moderators
Then we were talking about social media and employability at uni and the point of Twitter came up and how an employer could easily go through someone's Twitter to see what they say? ;)

I'd invited someone to interview for a job running a website. I casually flicked through their social media channels. On Twitter, minutes after the call, they'd put "Accepted an interview for an awful job I don't want" (paraphrasing, but the message was clear).

:D

What was his reaction? Priceless, I'm assuming.

• Awards Moderator
What was his reaction?

Sadly I didn't get to make the call and the person who did skirted around it. If it were me I would've ripped him a new arsehole.

Which is probably why I didn't get to make the call.

:laugh: Fantastic. Serves him right...what an utter prat.

• Paid Members

This is why my Facebook is locked to friends only and my Twitter doesn't include my real name.

• 1 month later...

Friends of the UKFF, I wonder if you would all do me a favour just to be nice even though I imagine you'd see it as COMPLETELY redundant. My nephew lost his Sunderland AFC teddy bear Marco in a London taxi (we think) over the weekend and he's beyond devastated. It's got enormous sentimental value so I've farted about a bit on twitter and Facebook today getting the message out to SAFC fans as well as London folk, and just generally nice people who will share it. As I know most of you fall into at least one of those categories, I'm asking of you would pop on #FindMarco and retweet any of the multiple appeals I've done where you can see the pic of the teddy bear. It probably won't work, but it would be just ace it it did. I'm not after a follow or anything, just a RT to get the message about, if you could oblige I'd be really grateful.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Friends of the UKFF, I wonder if you would all do me a favour just to be nice even though I imagine you'd see it as COMPLETELY redundant. My nephew lost his Sunderland AFC teddy bear Marco in a London taxi (we think) over the weekend and he's beyond devastated. It's got enormous sentimental value so I've farted about a bit on twitter and Facebook today getting the message out to SAFC fans as well as London folk, and just generally nice people who will share it. As I know most of you fall into at least one of those categories, I'm asking of you would pop on #FindMarco and retweet any of the multiple appeals I've done where you can see the pic of the teddy bear. It probably won't work, but it would be just ace it it did. I'm not after a follow or anything, just a RT to get the message about, if you could oblige I'd be really grateful.

Anything ever come of this, or did you have to downgrade to a Riccardo?

• 2 weeks later...

I have wondered this for a while now, figured if anyone would know.

Is there a really good, thoughtful long form article on Twitter and its users? I continually to be utterly fascinated by people who use twitter, but use it to constantly write to famous people. Whether it be "follow me" or "you ugly fat bitch, go die." Whenever you go on a tweet of someone like David Cameron, Demi Lovato, writers like Bill Simmons or anyone really in the public eye somewhat, you find a barrage of hate. Next time you see a tweet with that stuff, go look at that persons tweets, its inevitably just hundreds of tweets to various people tweeting hate or minutia of life no-one could possibly care about.

Also why do people use twitter? I understand for writers/celebrities to get their stuff out there (I always use it to follow various news outlets/websites, so I know when the latest article is out. But I also follow celebrities.).. I rarely tweet, and don't at all anymore but when I did, it's trying to be funny and clever. Yet I'm not totally sure why? I think deep down I think to myself "if only a producer or famous person saw this and then wanted to hire me to write or something." Which is utterly crazy, is that what people use it for?

I remember someone on here tweeting Simon Pegg about how he didn't like his movie, then played it off. When the truth was surely he was hoping for some sort of reaction? Or even a "yeah you're right, you should help out on the next film." From Pegg. (I could be wrong, but just seems that sort of thing happens so often.)

Basically the point of this reply is to somehow convince Astro Hollywood to write that article on his blog. It's right up his alley, and quite frankly I've wanted to read his views on it in long form.

Just go down the twitter rabbit hole Astro, and let us know when you find a 17year old Arabic kid who only tweets "One Direction, please follow me - tweet number 37,458" every five minutes, god knows what they would be upto now?!

Archived