Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ah mate, that’s lovely. We are a baseball couple and whenever it’s the Sox derby we make a night of it with homemade ballpark food and the like, and sit in our respective team’s colours! 

She doesn’t play The Show, though, and I’m really grateful about that as she destroyed my months and months of Forza best times within a week of playing it!

As someone who watched the Orioles/White Sox series I don’t envy being a White Sox fan at the minute. What a disaster with that pitching device yesterday!

6 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

As someone who watched the Orioles/White Sox series I don’t envy being a White Sox fan at the minute. What a disaster with that pitching device yesterday!

Thankfully todays game is rained off. Was hoping yesterdays would be too!

• Paid Members

They've made no effort whatsoever to stay in Oakland. The stadium has been run down to the extent it has sewage going through the dugouts and the Mets broadcasters had to be put in some side cupboard during a recent road trip because a possum had taken up residence in the booth and started shitting everywhere.

'Focused on securing a new home to the club' I.e demanding local authorities pay for an entire new stadium while spending the least money on payroll in baseball and pocketing every spare cent.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

the Mets broadcasters had to be put in some side cupboard during a recent road trip because a possum had taken up residence in the booth and started shitting everywhere.

This is my new favourite person in baseball. 

• Paid Members

Had no idea about the backstage goings on with the A’s but happily concur they’re a really shit team. 

Mariners got swept by the Brewers. We’re just not a very good team at the minute, both defensively but especially offensively. We constantly find ourselves in high stakes scenarios and our players just don’t have the nerve for it. A few times lately we’ve bottled a lead and lost due to our bullpen being junk.
Every time I see Matt Brash the air leaves my body. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

@Keith Houchen was watching last night. A complete piss take. Noted woman beater Domingo German can stay in the game walking around like he's just taken a dip in Vaseline and Mad Max gets ejected 'because his hand was too sticky'. It's the total lack of consistency which is worse of all.

This video here. "You didn't wash them enough, but seeing you sound honest we'll let it go". Fuxakes.

Sidenote - this is a great channel. Bit of Yanks bias in places as the hosts do a Yanks pod, though. The lipreading clips are superb.

P.S. edit THE CARDS FINALLY DIDNT SHIT LOADED BASES. Nolan Gorman is a star in the making.

Edited by seph

6 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

They've made no effort whatsoever to stay in Oakland. The stadium has been run down to the extent it has sewage going through the dugouts and the Mets broadcasters had to be put in some side cupboard during a recent road trip because a possum had taken up residence in the booth and started shitting everywhere.

'Focused on securing a new home to the club' I.e demanding local authorities pay for an entire new stadium while spending the least money on payroll in baseball and pocketing every spare cent.

I'm an A's fan, so this is awful news. The top part of the quote above feels a bit harsh, because there was certainly a lot of effort from a lot of people to try to find a way to stay in Oakland, but sadly the bottom part of the quote is completely true. The ownership wanted everything for free, and nothing Oakland could offer was ever going to be enough.

6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah this was like the plot to Major League but without the team winning. Shite stadium, shite attendances and shite team. 

It's actually unreal how true this is, and that it's been allowed/encouraged by MLB is a disgrace. How we've been allowed to put out an entire team that costs less than Max Scherzer while raking in money from revenue sharing feels genuinely criminal. You can hardly blame people for not going to games while this has been going on though. Honestly, I haven't even been able to watch them on TV for the last 18 months or so because there's just no effort to be competitive. The team this year looks good for 120 losses barring some miracle talent breakthroughs. Asking people to pay an owner who treats them with genuine disdain to watch a team designed to lose badly is a big ask. It's only a few years ago, though, that our average attendance was basically double what it is now, not wildly different to that of, say, the White Sox. And no-one was realistically calling for them to be shunted out of Chicago. The whole thing is just brutal.

I'm going to have a decision to make if this move goes through. This ownership? Vegas? Ugh. But supporting a new team? Sigh. All bad options. 

Real good post that, @textonly and you’re bang on. It must have been so awful for fans trying to get behind a team with owners not giving a shit. It reminds me of Cov City when SISU were the owners. Wanting everything for free and expecting the city (and a charity) to provide it. 

Jose Canseco was one of the first baseball players I heard of so the A’s were always a big deal to me. As always, it’s the fans who lose out. 

• Paid Members

MadBum designated for assignment.

He's only 33 and has been cooked since 29. Not sure I can think of a pitcher so good in the modern era for multiple years who imploded so young. Just sad watching him throw 88mph shitballs outside the zone yesterday when I stuck Arizona on.