Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

On 5/17/2023 at 2:46 PM, SuperBacon said:

Nice!

Go Cards!

Forgot to say last weekend just how impressed I was with this. The BBC absolutely nail the presentation of seldom shown sports, where they educate the casual viewer without it ever being condescending. They even explained the on screen graphic for people who didn't know about it. Of course some people (men) cried about it on Twitter, as if they could do any better.

As Chappers used to be for the NFL, this was pitched (waaaaheeeeey) just right. Cards were decent value as well.

22 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Sadly, I think he's just really good.

However, there is some quite compelling evidence that MLB were giving him juiced balls (fuck off, Bacon) while he was in pursuit of the American League HR record last year.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

So, Manoah has been sent down, finally. And not just down, but down down. Proper down. To the Florida Complex League.

The players are all talking as if this is just a blip, and he'll be back up before any of us notice he's missing, and are deliberately trying to forget Ricky Romero.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

We're not having the greatest season and we lost the series but still, absolutely walloping the Yankees at Yankee Stadium was a sight to behold. Got the Orioles next which will split the household as they're my wife's team!

• 3 weeks later...

As suggested in the football kit thread that I ask here. 

What are baseball jersey shirt sizes like (compared to football shirts which I wear a large adidas, XL/XXL Errea and Macron)

Does anybody know where you can get baseball shirts slightly cheaper. I don't mind paying money for them and buying real ones, it's just £110 seems a bit much. 

• Paid Members

They're essentially a size up as on-field they'd be layered with a T-shirt, but that's American so in real terms it may be 1-1/2 sizes up. I have two Cards jerseys that are still fit many years after yo-yoing. There *are* UK/Euro-centric official shops for shirts but as with the NFL gear they'd tend to be inferior copies, and even then prices south of £80 aren't common.

off-topic,

Spoiler

THE NL WON AN ALLSTAR GAME ABOUT DAMN TIME

Thanks much appreciated. JD have some on sale from £95 to £50, quite basic tops so will get oen of them to see how I go. There is a MLB store in Covent Garden, could try before I buy there I suppose. 

Edit: Bought a San Francisco Giants shirt. If I like the feel and the fit then I'd be happy to spend more on a jersey. If they fit well with an undershirt then they can be used well all year round. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

It's a crying shame he's extremely likely to stay out on the West Coast (well, for those of us living here) because he's so much fun to watch. Really one of those cases where superlatives run dry. Leading the league in home runs and just a tick below Cy Young calibre pitching. Game has been played for 150 years and this is the most impressive player ever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I remember when the Oakland stuff was the talk of the town but this trade deadline window has been bonkers. The Tim Anderson fight, the Orioles’ announcer being suspended for nothing, the Yankees vs Laz Diaz. I’ve been loving it so much I forgot Oakland were even a team until I saw a clip this morning of their pitcher having a brainfart and not throwing to 1st.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...