Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

TLDR the Cards are fucking mid. Which is an immediate improvement on last year.

In a bit more depth we've found a catcher who can hit almost as well as Yadi did, but he's the backup behind Contreras. Outside that our pitchers are giving up too many runs and we're still cooking LOBster for any team wanting to make their defense look good.

11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Joe Biden No GIF by The Democrats

Come on now, it's not like I'm chasing glory or anything. They've only won a feeble 5 World Series over the past 30 years. That's basically only once every 6 years. Could you imagine that? 

By the way if anyone has any dull stories about how they got interested in baseball or why they follow the team they follow, I'd be interested in reading that. The duller the better. For some reason, I enjoy hearing how non US based people got into predominantly American sports. At the risk of creating doubt where there wasn't any, it's nothing sexual I can assure you. 

Was in the USA September 98, and despite loving most sports, had zero interest in baseball until I saw Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa on the news and as someone interested in stats and records, became obsessed with the home run chase. Bought all the papers daily, clipped them all, all the SI, ESPN mags etc.

Was a genuine thrill to witness it being broken live as I made sure everywhere we ate showed sports and that was that, Cards "for life"

In reality I don't follow them at all, but I do enjoy baseball, and more importantly, reading about baseball, which I believe lends itself to some of the finest sports journalism.

44 minutes ago, Donald J Trump said:

Come on now, it's not like I'm chasing glory or anything. They've only won a feeble 5 World Series over the past 30 years.

It’s the Man Utd effect innit. Good mate of mine is from Brooklyn and a huge Yankees fan despite not being into sport. He said it’s like a rite of passage going to a Yankees game with an older family member and, like yourself, got hooked instantly! Sounds an incredible experience. 

49 minutes ago, Donald J Trump said:

That's basically only once every 6 years. Could you imagine that?

I’d take once in 20!  Reason I’m a White Sox fan is down to Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball on the Nintendo! Loved the game and a family friend had brought back sports T-shirts for us from his trip to visit his Chicago based family. So the two combined made the Southsiders my team!

I think The Show lead to our Flips getting into baseball and the Mariners. My partner is a Red Sox fan, she got into it via the channel 5 show in the late 90s as it was perfect post pub fodder. I know of a few people who are Red Sox fans because they’re fans of Dropkick Murphys. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Current Red Sox situation is spectacularly shit. Our roster was shit to start the year and we've now lost 3/5 of our rotation and all of our infield leading to brand new plateaus of shitnesss. Having to watch people like David Hamilton pretend to play baseball is making me want to cry. Inexplicably have a winning record at the moment but cannot see how that lasts and worst of all Casas is out for most of the season when i was excited to see his progress.

All of this pales into comparison with the MLB London Series advert which is played between every inning and features that other bellend who owns Wrexham. Makes me pine for Hall of Fame Connections and Bartolo hitting that home run for the 100th time.

23 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Bartolo hitting that home run for the 100th time.

Will never be boring. 

24 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Casas is out for most of the season

Yeah that’s awful, was hoping to see how much better he got as the season went on. 

Watched the White Sox last night. Twice they gave up back to back homers. Absolutely awful team. Their record looks like good bowling figures for a spinner. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Watched the White Sox last night. Twice they gave up back to back homers. Absolutely awful team. Their record looks like good bowling figures for a spinner. 

Wild that the high point for that core is going to end up being getting pumped in the playoffs with 90 year old Tony LaRussa at the helm.

At least we'll always have the White Sox Wizard.

via-mlb.png.b4191ed09a956b95dec6522e07ea1744.png

On 4/26/2024 at 6:13 PM, Gus Mears said:

All of this pales into comparison with the MLB London Series advert which is played between every inning and features that other bellend who owns Wrexham. Makes me pine for Hall of Fame Connections and Bartolo hitting that home run for the 100th time.

Any idea what Bo Bichette looked like as a toddler?

• Paid Members

I'm really looking to try and get back into American Sports this year just as I'm always looking for more knowledge in things and things to watch. 

A mate tried to get me into the Blue Jays a few years back when he moved to Ontario as he knew I could feed him the info he needed to learn for the now ex wifes family, but I was too busy doing Uni stuff to really take a great interest myself. I tried to get into the Mets being not the Yankees and being a New York Jets football fan but even that didnt do it. 

I guess I'll be making my choice on a team to follow by places I eventually want to visit or which logo looks the coolest. 

2 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

I'm really looking to try and get back into American Sports this year just as I'm always looking for more knowledge in things and things to watch. 

Well, 

3 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

not the Yankees

Is the best way to get going!

Absolutely buzzing for my boy Benny, hitting his first homer of the season and then his second to walk off an extra innings win. He has rightly come under fire for being shit this season so hopefully this is the kick start both he and the White Sox need. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

A mate tried to get me into the Blue Jays a few years back when he moved to Ontario as he knew I could feed him the info he needed to learn for the now ex wifes family, but I was too busy doing Uni stuff to really take a great interest myself. I tried to get into the Mets being not the Yankees and being a New York Jets football fan but even that didnt do it. 

I guess I'll be making my choice on a team to follow by places I eventually want to visit or which logo looks the coolest. 

It utterly fails the place you want to go test, but Orioles have a cool logo, have an incredibly exciting young team and just got bought by a new billionaire owner who looks as if they will spend. Pains me to say, but could do a lot worse. East Coast too, so a lot of the games are at a reasonable hour.

Edited by Gus Mears