Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

2 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

The postseason games haven't been blacked out this year on MLB.TV

I've been watching/recording on TNT mostly anyway but the games have also been available on MLB.TV as well, as I've seen the odd bit here and there through that.

Nice one!! 

On 10/10/2023 at 3:30 AM, Gus Mears said:

Niche and fuck all to do with the playoffs, but the Red Sox have fired Dave Bush and Carlos Febles, respectively pitching coach and third base coach. I'm delighted, they've both been atrocious for years.

Count yourself lucky. The Jays have been underwhelming for years now and they've fired....absolutely no one this post-season.

Why change it when you can just redo all the same old shite that's failed this year all over again next year? I'm thoroughly disgusted. 

• 2 weeks later...

World Series match up where I'm not overly bothered who wins, but usually in that circumstance being a fan of an NL team myself I'll slightly favour the NL team but just hoping for a good series mainly

Im predicting Texas in 5 though, D'backs have been incredible In the postseason however and proved me wrong in every series so who knows they might just do it

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Seattle Mariners are flaking apart during the post-season trades. We've lost Teoscar Hernandez, Eugenio Suarez and now Jared Kelenic in trades and free agencies for rookies or nothing. We also lost Mike Ford and Tom Murphy who weren't essential by any means but when we're gaining nobody back to fill the spaces it's looking very worrying. Our biggest names incoming so far are Carlos Vargas and Seby Zavala in the trade for Geno. Geno played every single game of the season and was a cornerstone of our team's character, that's not a good trade for us.

It seems that in a red hot post-season where we've got momentum from reaching the playoffs in 2022 and coming 1 game short in 2023 we're more concerned with saving money than actually pushing for contention. I wasn't expecting to get Otani or anything but like something would have been nice.

Edited by FelatioLips

Yeah I’m looking forward to hopefully achieving mediocrity with the White Sox. Just sell the fucking team, Jerry. 

In better news. Managed to snag on the presale for London Series an ambulant disabled ticket for my girlfriend and me as her companion, pending verification from the documentation we submitted. It’s our “Yearly holiday” if you will but instead of spending 200 sheets on seats by the ballpen, these are near home plate and cost just over 50 quid all in!  Absolutely made up, looks like Christmas is back on the menu, boys!

London Stadium is dogshit for football but for baseball it’s brilliant. Think I’ll be cheering on the Mets because fuck the Yankees obviously. 

• Paid Members

Shohei Ohtani has got paid big time. 10 years for 700 million dollars to go to the Dodgers. That is a lot of money but he is a lot of player. You'd pay a lot for his hitting and his speed, but when you add in the pitching quality as well its a whole different magnitude of player they've bought. 

• Paid Members

Glad he went there and not the Blue Jays. Blue Jays fans stalking the private jet of Dragon's Den's Robert Herjavec thinking it was Otani was pretty funny.

Mariners are still having a shocking winter. Rumour is even after offloading all our players we only have $20 million to spend.

On 12/10/2023 at 12:29 AM, FelatioLips said:

Glad he went there and not the Blue Jays.

So am I, actually. He's not what we need. I'd rather we spent some money on filling other positions instead of a glorified DH and someone who may, or may not, return to pitching at the level he did previously.

23 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is a good breakdown of his salary, is this some elaborate way to get around a salary cap by only getting 2 of his 70 mil a year. 

He's supposedly deferring much of his salary so that the team still has a lot of salary to build a team around him. He knows that he won't win anything if he's sucking up all the capital on his own. 

The deferred amount is reportedly interest-free as well.

• 4 months later...

Happy White Sox Elimination Day to all who celebrate. Fuck me this is the worst baseball side I’ve ever seen. How’s your team started the season? A fucking damn sight better than mine, I can assure you!!

Heres some wholesome stuff from Harold Ramirez and the Rays. 

There sometimes comes a point in baseball where it can't get any worse so you start looking at "worst ever" stats. Could the White Sox take the big one this year and beat the 62 Mets? It's obviously early days, but it's not out of the question. 

Yankees have started the season pretty well. Much better than last year where they never got a sniff but Baltimore are looking good as well. Again, it's early days but it's amazing how the start of a campaign can impact the mood well into the season. 

I should add that I haven't just bought a hat and decided I'm a Yankees fan. I never had much interest in the sport until I met an older chap over a beer in New York who was a lifelong Yankees fan. He spent the evening convincing me to head along, and that the buzz of being in a ballpark would change everything. He wasn't wrong. Many years later and I go over when I can, and hopefully I'll make it over this season. I much preferred the old stadium for atmosphere and charm but the new stadium is an impressive modern ballpark.