Raw Discussion and all that

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
Punk is my new fav wrestler.

He leaves in three weeks. Poor timing on his part.

Any chance you can make Abyss your favourite wrestler in TNA? Cheers.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Have the heels do what things like CM Punk? If Miz and Swagger start going on about Paul Heyman and Johnny Ace every week, it's not going to suddenly overtake the ratings from the attitude era.

Last night excluded, Punk has been the only 'heel' WWE have had in years. A proper heel that you actually hate (Or love to hate). Carbomb understood it and actually explained it better than I did.

That's not fair. Miz, Barrett, Edge, Vickie Guerrero were all "proper" heels.

• Paid Members
Last night excluded, Punk has been the only 'heel' WWE have had in years. A proper heel that you actually hate (Or love to hate).

Batista was better.

fuck! How'd I miss him?

Yeah, Dave Batista was a better heel than punk is.

Have the heels do what things like CM Punk? If Miz and Swagger start going on about Paul Heyman and Johnny Ace every week, it's not going to suddenly overtake the ratings from the attitude era.

Last night excluded, Punk has been the only 'heel' WWE have had in years. A proper heel that you actually hate (Or love to hate). Carbomb understood it and actually explained it better than I did.

As has been pointed out above, WWE has had numerous heels. Do you mean that Punk's been the only 'heel' that you've liked?

And you still haven't answered my question -- when you say the other heels should do what Punk does, what exactly do you mean by that? Lead Nexus? Make insider references? I'm a big fan of Punk, but I'm not at all sure that there's some tangible, easily transferable aspect of his act that can just be given to Drew McIntyre or Dolph Ziggler and will make them brilliant.

In my opinion Punk is the best heel WWE have had since Edge in 2006 and I may say Punk is better than him.

Batista and Jericho are/were both very good dont get me wrong they are/were excellent heels as is The Miz, I just feel Punk on the mic pips them all when he is at his best.

It was'nt just last night the Jeff Hardy feud a few years ago was dynamite.

• Paid Members
Not enough love for Mizark Henry.

"If I charge for air, YOU KEEP YOUR BILL PAID!"

Fucking awesome.

He's been awesome on every show since Capital Punishment. I try to listen to everything he says in his rant, its exactly what he needs to be taken seriously.

Raw finally gave us all a talking point, something it hasnt for a few months now. CM Punk is the most 'natural' star they've had in years. Its the little touches that make him awesome, like the superkick to the camera at the start, to the bow-arrow thing he did to HBK. Hopefully this contract ending story is just him taking a bit of a break, because to be fair, he's constantly been on TV for a while now.

I love Maryse :love:

Cant say I agree, shes too plastic. I'm sure shes on the chopping block for being released.

Plastic girls are the best, so larger than life, it's no use having natural looking girls on TV because nobody would pay to see them. Larger than life sells tickets, it's as simple as that. Also be honest, if a girl like Maryse came on to you, would you really turn her down? I think not. Why do you think millionaires and footballer types go for girls like that? Because girls like that are at the top of the tree and only wealthy people can get them. Wealthy people can have any girl they want and they go for barbies, that should tell you all you need to know.

WWE has become so boring and stuck in a rut, this is the type of unexpected shake up that it needed.

Like Jim Ross said, it's got everyone talking about WWE again (look how many posts their have been about it in less than 24 hours) and I bet a lot of fans who have lost interest in the brand will actually be tempted to watch next week to see how this plays out. It reminds me a little of when Hall and Nash turned up on Nitro in the sense you just didn't expect it and the way they are presenting it makes you think 'is this real?'. (obviously it isn't for reasons already discussed earlier in this thread, but in the modern era of wrestling if they can make anyone think twice that it's not automatically fake, they have done well.)

You can pick holes in anything if you study it hard enough but it's by far the most surprising and interesting thing to happen in WWE in years. The wrestling world has changed over time and the internet and smart fans are a market that WWE has largely ignored, and it's good that they seem to be looking to expand their appeal with a story like this. To come up with such a compelling bit of TV when there are so many spoilers and behind the scenes news readily available shows that it's a great promo and a great bit of booking.

Maybe that 65,000 buyrate has made WWE shit themselves and they're going mental again. .

What 65,000 buyrate is that then? Is that something someone just said and everyone has taken as fact? Over the Limit did 200,000.

Here's the spoilers for what happens next with the CM Punk situation. (Next week's RAW 4/7 Spoilers)

There's already a thread for next weeks' spoilers big man, here.

Some people might want to know what happens with CM Punk next week, but not want to ruin the rest of the show for themselves.

Well, I must say, I rather enjoyed that. They crafted an absolutely marvellous promo for him and he delivered it expertly. A great example of the whole team working together to create a stirling piece of work, not particularly to the credit of one nor the other. Which is really the way it should always be with the system WWE has cultivated. In terms of worked shoots, it's got to be considered one of the best in how well it has adhered to a major storyline with focus, rather than just spouting some insider nonsence for cheap cheers from the internet crowd. The difference between Paul Heyman's rant in 2001 and his One Night Stand promo I think sum this particular difference up well.

However, I do feel yet again, people are missing the point in debating whether or not this will be the new Attitude era/boom or what have you. I really, really don't think it works like that anymore. WWE, in its own field, has become something akin to Disney. It no longer needs to trailblaze, it just needs to continue what it does to consistently make great money for everybody. What this means is the status quo is fine and keeps everything ticking. Then, every now and then Disney might make a film that does massive box office figures, and another that is a bit of turkey. WWE occasional gives us a blockbuster such as last night, or Nexus, or Michaels/Taker, or Rock or loads of other decent bits they've done over the years. With that also comes some of the dross. Long gone are the days where some singular event or small chain of events can spark some sort of wrestling revolution, WWE is big enough, thank you very much. The long-term maintenance of that is WAY more important than creating some sort of buzz that gives them three great years followed by 6 or so utterly turgid ones before solidarity is eventually resumed.

Every time there's a big time angle/promo/match, the same arguement always comes up about it being the next Austin 3:16/Attitude/nWo or even worse, how WWE will "fuck it up" and stop it being one of these. It is never one of these and as long as WWE is doing fine, it never will be again. Nor should it be. Just enjoy the good stuff as a constant reminder of why you're a fan and leave it at that, or your expectations will always be crushed.

It's really tricky to know how far Vince is willing to go with this.

He really does surprise me sometimes with what he'll do to shake things up. Yes, a lot of the time he's on autopilot, but when he throws out stuff like this it's pretty incredible.

When you look back at what he did with ECW and some other 'shoot' promos, you can't help but get your hopes up for some strong development with this.

Archived