Raw Discussion and all that

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
Have the heels do what things like CM Punk? If Miz and Swagger start going on about Paul Heyman and Johnny Ace every week, it's not going to suddenly overtake the ratings from the attitude era.

Last night excluded, Punk has been the only 'heel' WWE have had in years. A proper heel that you actually hate (Or love to hate). Carbomb understood it and actually explained it better than I did.

Sorry, but that's not what I meant, or thought you meant. I thought you meant that he was the first heel in ages to do anything different from formulaic heel behaviour, i.e. run-ins, cheap-shots, midget mockery, etc., in favour of something risqu

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"The only thing that's real is me."

Not remotely the same thing, and you're stupid if you think it is. Like I said, different promos for different situations. I'm not having a go at Triple H nor am I hailing Punk's promos as the greatest thing to ever happen, but if one compares the two, there are specific differences that caused people to react in a certain way.

Have the heels do what things like CM Punk? If Miz and Swagger start going on about Paul Heyman and Johnny Ace every week, it's not going to suddenly overtake the ratings from the attitude era.

Last night excluded, Punk has been the only 'heel' WWE have had in years. A proper heel that you actually hate (Or love to hate). Carbomb understood it and actually explained it better than I did.

Sorry, but that's not what I meant, or thought you meant. I thought you meant that he was the first heel in ages to do anything different from formulaic heel behaviour, i.e. run-ins, cheap-shots, midget mockery, etc., in favour of something risqu

I don't know about other people, but I'd have felt a hell of a lot better about Trips' promos if he hadn't implicitly buried everyone. That'd have taken it to the top tier for me, rather than just being very good.

The other thing to bear in mind, though, is that Punk is a selfish heel and, as such, should be thinking everything revolves around him. Trips wasn't playing that role; he was playing a guy who wanted to beat the Undertaker's streak, which yes, is the most important thing in the business to him - but he didn't have to say nothing else mattered, especially when it was generally speaking such a weak-looking WrestleMania card. It just didn't seem to help.

The Nexus thing was a shock and done very well done, but for me personally I don't think it was as good or has as much potential as Punk last night.

As well as it was done I doubt anyone would of thought that the Nexus thing was real at the time, and although the Punk promo is a worked shoot, it has made people think twice, and I'm sure there's lots of people who legitimately believe it was a shoot. In the current environment of banned words like 'wrestling' and dumbed down content I didn't think that WWE would even consider an angle like this, so I'd say it has more shock and believability value. There's even rumours going round that many of the guys back stage even thought that he had gone off script and into business for himself, which speaks volumes of how well it was done. Also the fact WWE have said they are suspending him and have removed his profile from the web site just adds to the illusion.

The next steps for the Nexus were clearly going to be to try and invade and take over WWE, while Punk's situation opens up a host of more unusual possibilities. He might stay he might leave, he might actually carry this storyline on in ROH in a very brave piece of cross promotion not seen since WWEs partnership with the original ECW. There is even the once unthinkable potential that he could walk out as champion and take the WWE belt to another company. For anyone who says that's impossible and wont happen, I would of thought the same, but before yesterday did anyone think WWE would be clever enough to put on a promo like that? Or even if you did did anyone think they would be willing to let him say the things he did? I wouldn't of imagined WWE could / would of done this so it makes me wonder just how far they will go with it now.

I think this has as much potential as WWE want to give it, and if they are brave and really push the envelope we could see a much needed surge of new curiosity and suspense into the company, which is much needed.

Each to their own but when I was Nexus' first night it was good but it was ultimately a new take on an invasion angle that has happened in various ways in WWE, WCW, TNA over the years. While there is a legitimate chance that WWE could go into uncharted territory with Punk Perhaps it wont ever go that far, but after WWE surprised us all with this maybe there is more to come.

The way I look at it, if you stopped watching WWE because you didn't enjoy the product anymore and someone told you there was a group of rookies forming a new group and invading, or that the top heel in the company seemingly did a shoot promo burying the company and insulting the McMahon Family, which one would most likely make you tune back in?

• Paid Members
Kurt angle on twitter

CM Punk had classic promo last night. Good for Him. But if U ever say another word about Me again, Ur toast! If U don't believe Me, try Me!

What the bloody hell is he on about

He didn't even mention Angle.

I love Angle. Someone should tell him not to go on Twitter when he's off his tits, but I'm glad they don't. He was on about something Punk said on Twitter around WrestleMania time though, I think. Specifically:

"my twitter account was hacked", is the new: "I'm a sloppy drunk douche"

In the current environment of banned words like 'wrestling'

Considering the commentators say 'wrestling' on every show (including last night's Raw -- watch the Sin Cara vs Evan Bourne match), I don't think it's a banned word.

Courtesy of pwinsider.com....

Sources report that CM Punk's entire promo at the end of RAW this week was improvised by Punk and not scripted. Nobody in the back knew what Punk was going to say until he said it live on RAW.

WWE officials told Punk to go out and say in his own words why he was leaving the company, why he wanted the WWE Title and why he wanted to leave with it in his possession. There was a discussion that when officials felt Punk was going too far, they would pull the plug on the segment and cut his mic.

It's said that Punk was upset months ago when Triple H came back to feud with The Undertaker and while some of his comments on RAW towards Vince McMahon were well thought out to appear not as a shoot to the average viewer, most believe that Punk's comments towards Triple H and John Laurinaitis were strictly a shoot.

Word also is that Punk had some notes for his speech jotted down on his wrist tape.

As far as his contract status, Punk's deal apparently expires the second week of July but he signed an extension to work through Money in the Bank. Still with last night's new storyline development, sources maintain that Punk is leaving at Money in the Bank.

• Paid Members

Angle's mental, but he's news worthy mental, so its all good with me. I get a sense Angle is like that in real life. Didnt Eddie Guerrero have a scrap with him back in 2005 because the two had words?

Sources report that CM Punk's entire promo at the end of RAW this week was improvised by Punk and not scripted. Nobody in the back knew what Punk was going to say until he said it live on RAW.

What sources are these? I didnt know Malware did backstage scoops. If there's going to be some revelation, you have a sense its not going to come from PopupWrestlingInsider. I just cant believe the WWE didn't know what he was going to say. The follow up to this angle was all laid out for the taping later on in the night. They must have knew what he was going to say. "Sources" also said Samoa Joe's "shoot" promo on Kevin Nash was all from the heart, until it came out Vince Russo had been scribbling it down on his jotter that afternoon.

Archived