WWE Money In The Bank 2011

Cobra1000

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Not sure why everyone is saying Daniel Bryan deserved the win last night. He's a charismaless mid carder in WWE. No matter how good he was in the indies, he has no noticable star quality in WWE, except for people who loved him in ROH, etc. Even in The Nexus he was the lamest looking one, and that group had Heath Slater and Darren Young in it.

I love watching Daniel Bryan wrestle, he has great intensity, but has shown little on the mic, and his main crowd connection is that he's a plucky underdog. Hopefully the MITB win leads to more character depth for him.

This isn't true at all. The one time WWE let him come across like anything other than a geek or have him say something other than nonsense (his all too brief feud with The Miz and Michael Cole) he was excellent. Came across like a right hard bastard and legit. Plus the crowd were well into him (the whole Vegan/Virgin rubbish killed all of his good work).

While he isn't John Cena or CM Punk, Daniel Bryan is solid on the mic. When you're as good as he is in the ring that's all you really need to be. The guy is such a great wrestler that the fans become invested in his storytelling in the ring (the same way they did with Bret Hart, who for most of his career was a solid BUT believable promo at best) and as such get into his character that way.

If WWE treat him right, I honestly think they have the makings of a great Upper Midcard talent, capable of making anybody look amazing.

• Paid Members
Not sure why everyone is saying Daniel Bryan deserved the win last night. He's a charismaless mid carder in WWE. No matter how good he was in the indies, he has no noticable star quality in WWE, except for people who loved him in ROH, etc. Even in The Nexus he was the lamest looking one, and that group had Heath Slater and Darren Young in it.

Strongly disagree. He was the only guy from RoH I could stand, but that was largely because he knows how to wrestle a storied match, and does that pretty well in WWE. I admit he's not been great on the mike, which I find bizarre, because his promo and character work on the indies was pretty high quality.

This isn't true at all. The one time WWE let him come across like anything other than a geek or have him say something other than nonsense (his all too brief feud with The Miz and Michael Cole) he was excellent. Came across like a right hard bastard and legit. Plus the crowd were well into him (the whole Vegan/Virgin rubbish killed all of his good work).

You said it yourself, "that one time". The majority don't remember that brief NXT spat. Unless you're Austin at KOTR 96, one promo won't make your career. I really like Bryan, but his best response in his WWE run was in front of a smart Chicago crowd. He hardly blows the roof off the rest of the time, and that's not his fault. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability, I'm just saying he hasn't had much chance to show it.

• Paid Members

You just know if anyones going to be the first to lose the MITB by cashing it in, its Daniel Bryan, the poor sod. I like him. I dont even know why I like him. I think it goes back to him coming over here to improve his showmanship, while all his ROH mates just watched Dynamite Kid matches and pretended they were as good as Kenta Kobashi. He's always struck me as a nice bloke who gets it and worked hard for it. He'll be around forever I think. He's got the Benoits about him. People just like him, even if he doesnt beg for it on the mic. Then he'll kill his family.

Just a small note: did anyone else think Sheamus landing on the ladder looked more painful than what happened to Sin Cara? Sin Cara's ladder was obviously gimmicked, whereas Sheamus just took a big old fashioned back bump onto one of the metal ladders. He bounced right up and I winced.

Oh god no. When you say the ladder was gimmicked, it was gimmicked in terms of ensuring it was going to break to increase the visual impact. Being driven about 8 feet and landing on the thin edges of a ladder wasn't gimmicked, unless the ladder was made of rubber that lost it's shape. The break probably helped slow his momentum slightly, but It was still a disgusting looking spot, The Seamus one couldn't have felt too nice either, but it was a much shorter drop, he fell rather than being driven down, used the whole of his back to absorb it, and there was a bit of give with one side of the ladder being rested on the ring ropes. That powerbomb to the outside was something else.

After Sin Cara, I think Jack Swaggers fall was probably the nastiest fall from the ladder matches. Kofi giving him a boot to the face for good measure couldn't have been much fun either. Alberto's 'Shawn Stasiak' spot looked class and was pretty dangerous too.

• Paid Members
You just know if anyones going to be the first to lose the MITB by cashing it in, its Daniel Bryan, the poor sod. I like him. I dont even know why I like him. I think it goes back to him coming over here to improve his showmanship, while all his ROH mates just watched Dynamite Kid matches and pretended they were as good as Kenta Kobashi. He's always struck me as a nice bloke who gets it and worked hard for it. He'll be around forever I think. He's got the Benoits about him. People just like him, even if he doesnt beg for it on the mic.

That's mostly it for me, too. Although I also think he's an excellent heel too.

And yeah, I reckon he'll be the first MITB winner to fail - at the risk of sounding smarky, he's THE internet darling, and hasn't been on TV long enough to have become as "WWE" as Punk.

You said it yourself, "that one time". The majority don't remember that brief NXT spat. Unless you're Austin at KOTR 96, one promo won't make your career. I really like Bryan, but his best response in his WWE run was in front of a smart Chicago crowd. He hardly blows the roof off the rest of the time, and that's not his fault. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability, I'm just saying he hasn't had much chance to show it.

He blew the roof off the place when he made Miz tap for the US Title last year (?).

Every time they have given him something of note to say, it's been very well done. But, you are right, they don't give him many chances. That's a booking issue though, not a lack of talent in the promo department.

• Paid Members

You know why wrestling fans complain about bad shows, bad matches and bad angles so much? It's because they know how fucking amazing wrestling can be when it's all done right, like it was last night.

• Paid Members
Every time they have given him something of note to say, it's been very well done. But, you are right, they don't give him many chances. That's a booking issue though, not a lack of talent in the promo department.

Exactly. You cant talk if you've got nothing to say. Eddie Guerrero in 1996 is basically Daniel Bryan now. Guerrero was a babyface who was doing things on TV that didnt warrent any emotion other that smiling and going "better luck next time" after a defeat. He'd get the shit kicked out of him by Syxx and the Outsiders and then say "WCW will win in the end" and not really mind the kicking he just recieved. If your supposed to be a bland nerd, why would he be anything other than what he is?

• Paid Members

I like Daniel Bryan because he's such an incredible wrestler. It's hard not to appreciate somebody who is that good at their craft. He comes across like a top bloke in Colt Cabanas documentary too.

He was excellent in heating up the midcard last summer. His feud with The Miz pretty much saved Miz after Cena squashed him, after that brief feud both men were quite over. He had some belters with Dolph Ziggler too that gave Dolph enough momentum to have a program with Edge a little while later. He even made me give a poo about Ted DiBiase Jr.

I have zero faith in WWE using him right though. He's in with the right people (Shawn Michaels/Regal/Punk/Cena) but it's whether Vince can get past thinking he's a "geek".

Watching the main event back now, the main thing that sticks out to me is this: I bet Vince was absolutely beaming inside, with the crowd atmosphere and chants and reactions. He'll have been taken back to glories past when past eras got that kind of reaction. Not long ago he was coming out the ring and confronting Bret Hart of all people and getting zilch response, and before that he basically asked the fans if they died before they got to the arena during the Raw guest host peak. Hopefully Vinnie Mac does his best to try and maintain last nights' reaction somewhat. You can't get it at every arena but you can darn sure improve on the general stance of things over the last few years.

In terms of storyline, I think it would really add to the product on TV if they do start a 'Triple H to takeover' angle, whether the Mr.McMahon character agrees with it or not. We can't stay with Punk v McMahon, or anyone else v McMahon really, because it's been done to death. Get Triple H on the go and it'll add a new dynamic to the 'bigwigs vs disgruntled employees' plot.

And it goes without saying, that was the most entertaining WWE PPV in years, WrestleManias included. Well done to everyone involved, and thanks to Rupert Murdoch for not making me pay extra for it :)

• Paid Members

I can see them doing a Razor/HBK deal sort of deal with Punk staying away with the title, maybe taking a very select few RoH bookings, and them trying to introduce a new title. Eventually leading to a Punk return somehow and a title vs title encounter.

Archived