Stewart Lee

Devon Malcolm

Was I the only one to gasp, with excitement, at Stewart playing guitar in the red button extra? And More so, when he started singing? The end sketch was kinda meh but I thought it was by far the strongest episode, thus far

He did something similar during the 'If you prefer a milder comedian, please ask for one tour', playing a pretty much straight version of Galway Girl to close the show, with the odd joke line thrown in - it was similar to how he messes with the form of stand up using repetition and dragging stuff out to make people uncomfortable and laugh at the same time, but this time he used something sincere like singing the song that reminded him of his wife to get the same effect.

Was I the only one to gasp, with excitement, at Stewart playing guitar in the red button extra? And More so, when he started singing? The end sketch was kinda meh but I thought it was by far the strongest episode, thus far

He did something similar during the 'If you prefer a milder comedian, please ask for one tour', playing a pretty much straight version of Galway Girl to close the show, with the odd joke line thrown in - it was similar to how he messes with the form of stand up using repetition and dragging stuff out to make people uncomfortable and laugh at the same time, but this time he used something sincere like singing the song that reminded him of his wife to get the same effect.

I'll give it to you straight. Like a pear cider, that's made from 100% pears. I then saw "If you prefer..." the day after and saw him playing with the same guy from the red button extra. I just had no idea he could carry a tune

I still think his style of comedy is ill-suited to the half-hour format though. In a live show, he throws plenty of jokes in early doors to get you comfortable and only near the end of the show does he do one of his trademark over-long routines, and by that point you're willing to go along with him. In these half-hour shows he pretty much bangs into them after 10/15 minutes, which means for the casual viewer it's more disconcerting.

I hope he ditches the skits altogether if he gets a 3rd series. I think they are deliberately crap. And he CAN write good sketch comedy:

I'd also like to see him to three hour-long live performances rather than 6 half-hours.

Edited by Loki