Stewart Lee

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

For years and years my favourite stand-up was Billy Connolly. I know a lot of people have soured towards him over the last decade or so but his comedy, at its peak, is still some of the best you will see. Then it was Dave Allen. And now it's Stewart Lee. But I can absolutely see why people would hate him, and I'm sure he can too.

• Paid Members
"Its just another over-educated, middle class man getting pointlessly angry about a lot of things that aren't very important in the great scheme of things....' Tristran Fabriana, bbc.co.uk

Surely that is a made up name. No one is called Tristran Fabriana

"Its just another over-educated, middle class man getting pointlessly angry about a lot of things that aren't very important in the great scheme of things....' Tristran Fabriana, bbc.co.uk

So you're saying it's Tristran Fabri-cated?

Edit:

On topic, I love Stewart Lee. Been to see him three times, and each time have ached through laughing so much. He was also a ridiculously nice guy when I met him.

Edited by Big Rob

• Paid Members

So you're saying it's Tristran Fabri-cated?

Edit:

On topic, I love Stewart Lee. Been to see him three times, and each time have ached through laughing so much. He was also a ridiculously nice guy when I met him.

He wouldn't have been so nice if he knew you would one day make up that gag!

• Paid Members
I've heard he rips the piss out of Russell Howard in his stand-up - anyone know what the crack is with that?

It must be pretty soul-destroying for comedians who've spent decades perfecting their craft to see gimps like Howard filling arenas.

The last sentence is pretty much the basis of the routine. Starts off as mocking him for not doing enough for charity, pointing out how much Howard does for charity. It's not the best bit he's done, but it was okay. Vegetable Stew was decent, but probably the weakest of his shows I've seen so far.

I thought the Russel Howard part was one of the highlights of Vegtable Stew. It was essentially about Russell Howard making a large sum of money cycling for charity over a few days

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

and Lee multiplying that number across a year and proclaiming how selfish Howard is for not fucking off cycling for a few years.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

The Vegtable Stew show was weaker than other shows but it was a collection of material for his new series and didnt really have the show long arcs that his specials have. Was great overall though and I look forward to the series.

Edited by Rob Lowe

• Moderators

I love Stewart Lee. The best stand up without a doubt.. So good he's kinda put me off other stand ups. I just feel like no one else is trying or thinking hard enough compared to him.

How I escaped my certain fate is a decent read, but I learned more and got a better appreciation for comedy from his first (fiction) book, a perfect fool. You can really see how his style has been informed and influenced by the research he did for that. It was something of a revelation to me when I first read that.