Dixie Carter resigns/steps down from TNA?

Psygnosis

• Paid Members
Someone that has new ideas. I think that's wrestlings biggest weakness the past decade - status quo needs a kick up the arse.

I'm not sure who that would be. it seems to me (making a massive generalisation) that everyone seems to book like the people they worked for. So you've either got an older generation of guys who'll try and reproduce Championship Wrestling From Florida or a younger generation who'll go down the ECW or WCW/WWF of 1997/98 route. No-one seems to have genuinely fresh ideas.

I think you are making a massive generalisation.

I think the mid 90s is a good example of companies risking their creative with fresh people and getting the rewards. WCW went with the under qualified but youthful Eric Bischoff and he turned WCW into the number one wrestling organization in the world and they were making a shit load of cash before ego took over. ECW gave Paul Heyman a chance and his ideas were then nicked by the big two - creating a brand that is still talked about and mimmicked today. Even Vince McMahon decided to listen to his magazine writer and we all saw how much cash WWF made out of that.

Only one way to find out.

I did think of Bischoff and Heyman when I made the generalisation. They did have fresh ideas, you're right, but no-one since has thought of anything new beyond that formula. The only "new" ideas that have gotten a lot of praise in the past 10 years or so are really old ideas that have come around again and that's only at a low level like ROH.

When I make the generalisation, I'm thinking of guys like Tommy Dreamer. There must be somebody fresh out there who understands pro-wrestling, has a creative mind and doesn't want to recycle pro-wrestling from 12 years ago.

But nobody has really been given the chance to shine. Tommy Dreamer did for a couple of months and wasn't very good (as expected), you're right. But TNA has stuck with Vince Russo for the majority of its TV run. That's one bad experiment. WCW went through about five hundered before Bischoff finally got the chance.

TNA need to make sure when they interview somebody they get people that want to do something fresh and are dynamic and fearless. Like a Bischoff. I agree there are a ton of Tommy Dreamers out there but I'm also sure there are quite a few Heymans/Bischoffs too.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
But nobody has really been given the chance to shine. Tommy Dreamer did for a couple of months and wasn't very good (as expected), you're right. But TNA has stuck with Vince Russo for the majority of its TV run. That's one bad experiment. WCW went through about five hundered before Bischoff finally got the chance.

TNA need to make sure when they interview somebody they get people that want to do something fresh and are dynamic and fearless. Like a Bischoff. I agree there are a ton of Tommy Dreamers out there but I'm also sure there are quite a few Heymans/Bischoffs too.

Aside from Vince Russo though, TNA have had Jeff "Junior Russo" Jarrett and Dutch Mantell who booked it like it was 1978. I'm splitting hairs though, I agree as much as you (and Magnum) that almost any fresh approach is worth a shot.

Equally though, I'm just as wary of Vince coming up with some new hair-brained 'entertainment' oriented idea like the fucking guest hosts to push the name change.

The name change from WWE to WWE?

I've only got a passing interest in TNA, but it seems to me that they have too many factions with too many members. Does it really pay to have Hogan/Flair/Bischoff/Abyss/BB Ray/Matt Hardy etc. all in one group? I mean, Abyss' face doesn't even fit that particular picture...

You either need to fuck Hogan or Bischoff off, have the one you keep as the authority figure. Once you do that surround him with maybe one tag team, and an upper mid carder you intend to give a push too; so say have Bischoff flanked by Bubba Ray and, erm, say the British Invasion.

Then Flair doesn't need to be affiliated with this shit, have him act as a mentor to a newly pushed, as a singles guy, Robert Roode.

I don't know, it just seems these faction affiliations keep more people down (by subliminally creating hierarchy in the viewers mind) then they do elevate people.

• Paid Members

The main problem i have always seen with TNA is, that they have the money. They Have the Talent, They have the outlet (TV/PPV), but just blow it every time.

TNA Just need to focus on the younger talents, keep titles on some of the guys for longer, (not flip floping the titles all over the shop), and faze out the older talents.

In all honestly i think hiring Hardy/RVD/Anderson were good things. (Hardys recent-ish attitude is something they could not of seen coming, although need to be firm with him currently), Anderson on the other hand, could of been a top babyface for the company, but to have hardy beat him a month after he won the belt was stupid. Morgan also could of been big, but with hardy beating him 3/4 times in a row, as well as Jeff jarrat beating him in his intial face turn was a bad idea, RVD was a good signing, but they should not of put the belt on him as quick as they did.

Abyss should of stayed monster heel, by chokeslamming people off the stage etc, not joining either group, until he eventually won the Title. Having him being beaten by stevie richards was a bad idea, as was having him beaten nearly every other week, has made him look terrible.

TNA need to get a grip.

From what I understand TNA did start making a profit in 2008/09, mainly through their international TV deals. However when they started paying ridiculous money to bring in Hogan et al, said profit quickly disappeared

I've only ever read that as an assumption made by posters on this forum, there's never been any quote from anyone in the know to suggest that's true. As far as I can see they've been consistently in profit since about 2007.

I agree there needs to be a shake-up though. I loved the first 6 months of the Hogoff era, but the whole thing hinged on

a) going to Monday nights and competing

b) Hogan creating a consistent bump in the ratings

Since that didn't work out, they don't appear to have had a Plan B.

So maybe they need to bring the storyline to an appropriate conclusion, have Dixie wrestle (not literally) control of the company back from Hogan, who sails off into the sunset with Bischoff in tow. Then give someone like Heyman a try. Or, you know, just hire a young guy like Court Bauer to write the storylines, someone fresh.

I reckon they should sack Terry Taylor too. Don't ask me why, but I reckon he's a cancer there :p

• Paid Members
I've only ever read that as an assumption made by posters on this forum, there's never been any quote from anyone in the know to suggest that's true. As far as I can see they've been consistently in profit since about 2007.
Meltzer and Alvarez have been saying since the Hogoff thing started that they arent because of all those pay offs, but I'm pretty sure that they don't know that for a fact.

I wouldn't mind them giving Gabe Sapolsky the job even though i imagine on here everyone probably hates him. If what paul heyman wanted was true I can see why they didnt give him the job tbh

My understanding was that Heyman wanted to do things his way but Dixie Carter expected him to fit in with Hogan/Russo/Bischoff etc and share equal input.

Heyman knew his hands would be tied with him sharing creative duties with so many others and basically said no to Dixie.

I heard that but I also heard that he wanted some ridiculous contract that pays him 25 million dollars a year and a stock perctnage of the company it could be bullshit though

• Moderators

Cornette was still working for WWE in 2004. Kevin Sullivan was making a oad of noise about booking for TNA a year or so ago, I take it nothing came of that. Shame. I'd like him there to do some good basic booking.

Given that whatever they do TNA's ratings don't seem to drop much below a 1.0, and that the current creative team is making zero progress, they've really got nothing to lose from giving the book to someone new regardless of their level of experience in that field. Just find people on the current roster or involved with the independent scene who can put forward a proposal for six months worth of coherent, logical booking, with a clear plan for who they are going to build the company around, how and why. Then pick the best one, give them the ball and see what happens. They've got far more to win than to lose at this point.

Ive just been reading the ECW rise and fall book and apart from the terrible inaccuracies in the text and picture captions at times, what Heyman has input is very interesting. He wanted to take wrestling away from trying to be too much like a highly produced TV show with a single format and make it edgy, changeable and something different.

Really I think wrestling is ready to have this again, Im not saying with harcore matches and the in ring product of ECW as such but the layout of the TV could vary. For years I have felt that the TV product in WWE and TNA for the last 2 years has been very similar week in week out. I can almost predict with TNA who will be on screen at what time.

Throwing caution to the wind would help in my opinion. Just keep the core product recogniseable (People fighting over titles and over the top feuds) just change the way it runs and move away from the status quo. I expect this is what Heyman wanted to do with TNA.

ALthough no-one is probably interested I would like to see XPlosion changed as an experiment for now, heavily push people on there show whole matches from house shows instead of the impact zone and experiment. With a little more lighting an extra camera and a few tricks those house show recordings they use now wouldnt look too bad as a full match

Archived