Dixie Carter resigns/steps down from TNA?

Psygnosis

I thought the TNA Reaction was a good attempt at something like this. It had an edgy feel, with unscripted promos and reactions to events backstage.

The problem was, that idea wasn't done consistently on Impact, so you had those terrible WWE-style backstage skits in Hogan's office that were obviously fake and staged, and then you'd have a Reaction-style chance interview with a wrestler.

It's all about setting a consistent tone for the viewer.

Myself, I think TNA needs to not copy WWE as much as define itself be being what WWE is not - so be a wrestling show, with wrestlers wrestling, with fans and matches, without bacstage skits, and with more emphasis on competition and belts, and matches and tournaments and all that. I liked the TNA Tope 10 Contenders thing they had going for a while, but again it got dropped too quickly.

That's not to say it can't still be "sports entertainment" but it needs to feel closer to its Spike labelmate UFC than to WWE. If Hogan had played a straight face matchmaker for the last year they could have used his fame much more productively, in my opinion.

The times TNA has felt most competitive has been when it felt most distinct.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I thought the TNA Reaction was a good attempt at something like this. It had an edgy feel, with unscripted promos and reactions to events backstage.

The problem was, that idea wasn't done consistently on Impact, so you had those terrible WWE-style backstage skits in Hogan's office that were obviously fake and staged, and then you'd have a Reaction-style chance interview with a wrestler.

It's all about setting a consistent tone for the viewer.

Myself, I think TNA needs to not copy WWE as much as define itself be being what WWE is not - so be a wrestling show, with wrestlers wrestling, with fans and matches, without bacstage skits, and with more emphasis on competition and belts, and matches and tournaments and all that. I liked the TNA Tope 10 Contenders thing they had going for a while, but again it got dropped too quickly.

That's not to say it can't still be "sports entertainment" but it needs to feel closer to its Spike labelmate UFC than to WWE. If Hogan had played a straight face matchmaker for the last year they could have used his fame much more productively, in my opinion.

The times TNA has felt most competitive has been when it felt most distinct.

Good post, I think. I agree with all of it.

The most frustrating thing about TNA is that when they get things right, it shows they've got a ton of potential. What worries me is that the constant influx of rejects and has-beens has stunted the home grown stars such that they'll never be worth anything and so they'll have no choice but to keep hiring rejects and create a viscious circle.

I'd love a go at booking TNA. Seriously. There is so much talent to use, it just needs one vision and a direction.

I liked the TNA Tope 10 Contenders thing they had going for a while, but again it got dropped too quickly.

Yeah this started off really good, but the problem was that TNA let the fans have the majority vote and management clearly didn't agree with them. They kept voting for Desmond Wolfe and, if they listened to the fans as much as they say, Desmond Wolfe would've held the Title at one point. They clearly started to fix the voting the more it went on.

I think they should cut the number of pay per views in half, they currently are doing awful numbers, so they have nothing to lose. They should slow the product down, guys don't have to appear every single week on iMPACT, especially if you have 8 or 9 weeks to build to the next pay per view.

I would also like to see them give a new guy a chance, not someone who has been pushed up and down in TNA for years but a guy from the indies who can come in and competes with the former WWE guys straight away, just like Desmond Wolfe did when he started.

Archived