Dixie Carter resigns/steps down from TNA?

Psygnosis

• Paid Members

Doubt this is anywhere near true, but she is apparently sick as fuck after the Jeff Hardy thing, and the Flair Hall of Fame thing, and Hogan spending more time filming that midget version of the Ultimate Fighter with Bischoff and all sorts of other stuff. Which is understandable. TNA's been really crap recently. They had a good start to the year, but its pretty bad at the minute. There's only Bully Ray that I enjoy watching on it. Angle and Jarrett, Anderson and RVD, Madison and Mickie and Pope and Joe have feuded for so long, I really cant take watching those feuds anymore.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
From what I understand TNA did start making a profit in 2008/09, mainly through their international TV deals. However when they started paying ridiculous money to bring in Hogan et al, said profit quickly disappeared

What is Hogan and Bishoffs role in TNA these days anyway?

Doubt this is anywhere near true, but she is apparently sick as fuck after the Jeff Hardy thing

My mate told me how Hardy got fucked backstage at a PPV so they had to do a 2 minute main event because he was incapable. People can say what they like about WWE's Wellness Policy (not heard much from that lately) but that certainly wouldn't have happened at one of their PPV's!

the Flair Hall of Fame thing

What's that about, Ian?

I guess it's Ric Flair being filmed by WWE camera's giving Shawn a gift backstage.

• Paid Members
From what I understand TNA did start making a profit in 2008/09, mainly through their international TV deals. However when they started paying ridiculous money to bring in Hogan et al, said profit quickly disappeared

What is Hogan and Bishoffs role in TNA these days anyway?

Doubt this is anywhere near true, but she is apparently sick as fuck after the Jeff Hardy thing

My mate told me how Hardy got fucked backstage at a PPV so they had to do a 2 minute main event because he was incapable. People can say what they like about WWE's Wellness Policy (not heard much from that lately) but that certainly wouldn't have happened at one of their PPV's!

What's that about, Ian?

I guess it's Ric Flair being filmed by WWE camera's giving Shawn a gift backstage.

How many times does Ric want to kiss Shawn on the cheek...?

• Paid Members

What's that about, Ian?

As the above says really, but the issue was the fact he allowed them to film him for their website looking all pleased to be there. Tommy Dreamer was there also, but he didnt have his face all over WWE.com like Flair. It seems like the wheels have fallen off for who Dixie Carter thought was loyal to her. You had the Hardy thing, then Flair had the incident on the tour and the Hall of Fame thing, Foley keeps bashing them eventhough he's still under contract and has said he's not going to renew it. Hogan and Bischoff have looked like they are there for a payday since last May. Nash (who was pals with her) walked out on her. It seems like the big stars have got their money now. Even in the last 18 months when storylines have been bad (like the Monday Night Wars, the ECW thing and the They angle) you could at least see what they were trying to do and you could see them trying to change it up. At the minute nothing is really happening in TNA. It seems to be stuck in the same feuds and storylines as it has been for months. I usually like TNA, but RVD vs Anderson vs Sting sounds awful.

• Paid Members

What's that about, Ian?

As the above says really, but the issue was the fact he allowed them to film him for their website looking all pleased to be there. Tommy Dreamer was there also, but he didnt have his face all over WWE.com like Flair. It seems like the wheels have fallen off for who Dixie Carter thought was loyal to her. You had the Hardy thing, then Flair had the incident on the tour and the Hall of Fame thing, Foley keeps bashing them eventhough he's still under contract and has said he's not going to renew it. Hogan and Bischoff have looked like they are there for a payday since last May. Nash (who was pals with her) walked out on her. It seems like the big stars have got their money now. Even in the last 18 months when storylines have been bad (like the Monday Night Wars, the ECW thing and the They angle) you could at least see what they were trying to do and you could see them trying to change it up. At the minute nothing is really happening in TNA. It seems to be stuck in the same feuds and storylines as it has been for months. I usually like TNA, but RVD vs Anderson vs Sting sounds awful.

Cheers. I don't think she has a reason to jack it in. Flair, Nash, Hardy, Foley and Dreamer are all utterly worthless to TNA. Bischoff and Hogan aren't worth anything like their price tag either.

If anything, her recent experience should waken her up to the fact that TNA will only grow if they invest in fresh talent. Use name guys by all means but use them for what they are worth, which is giving a leg up to fresh faces, not standing above them pissing down on them.

I know what you mean about them being stuck in a never ending cycle at the moment. I think the Jarrett/Angle feud has been nicely paced personally and but for the over-involvement of Karen Angle, it's been very good. Stone Cold Ken Anderson, RVD, Heel Pope, Fat Joe, Shit Immortal, Ink Inc., etc aren't.

There is an opening for a solid pro-wrestling company at the moment but TNA seem dead set on trying to be the WWF of 1998 and are so blinkered right now. They need to cut some of the worthless "talent", cut the constant swearing fo no reason, cut Hogan or Bischoff and have one heel authority figure (if they must have one at all), cut the obsession with factions and dissension and they have enough talent, enough fans and enough business smarts to make a fine product.

• Paid Members
If anything, her recent experience should waken her up to the fact that TNA will only grow if they invest in fresh talent. Use name guys by all means but use them for what they are worth, which is giving a leg up to fresh faces, not standing above them pissing down on them.

Shedoesnt like firing anyone. Thats her main problem. She's way to loyal to people, and she probably thinks she isnt getting any loyalty back. I think she gets the business side of it, because TNA has licensing and television deals that nobody expected anyone other than WWE to get. But as far as hiring and firing talent, there's either to many people in her ear or she's to loyal to them. She needs to be the Tod Gordon and find a Paul Heyman (not necessary Heyman though) to find their own roster to mold into a weekly show. The one thing consistant about most bookers is that they always say you NEED to be able to pick your own roster to become successful. She became a weekly TV character because someone told her they needed her to be on the show, so she did, even though its obvious she shouldnt have been anywhere near the show. She seems to be listening to the wrong people inside her company.

• Paid Members
She seems to be listening to the wrong people inside her company.

Yeah, I've said that for a while. On the wrestling side, she's badly advised. Bringing in Hogan, Flair, Bischoff, Anderson, RVD, Hardy, Nasty Boys, etc in one go when they'd found solid financial footing was a silly thing to do. Keeping Vince Russo writing when it's been well proven that he has massive limitations is another.

I hope she gets mad enough to take some tough decisions but not mad enough to jack in all the work she's put in. It just needs a good prune.

• Paid Members

The odd thing about her still persevering with Vince Russo is even Vince Russo is fed up and wants out of the booking/writing role he has held for years. He's burnt out and it's clearly showing, TNA just isn't that good to watch anymore. Ian is right when he says there is no direction as feuds that were never hot to begin with, seem to last months.

The talent don't seem to really care too much as well. TNA used to be full of great matches but bar Kurt Angle and the occasional AJ Styles/Beer Money match it's all abit stale. RVD and Mr. Anderson need to be the first two to go, both are rank.

I wish she gives someone fresh the booking/writing job. Someone that has new ideas. I think that's wrestlings biggest weakness the past decade - status quo needs a kick up the arse.

• Paid Members
Someone that has new ideas. I think that's wrestlings biggest weakness the past decade - status quo needs a kick up the arse.

I'm not sure who that would be. it seems to me (making a massive generalisation) that everyone seems to book like the people they worked for. So you've either got an older generation of guys who'll try and reproduce Championship Wrestling From Florida or a younger generation who'll go down the ECW or WCW/WWF of 1997/98 route. No-one seems to have genuinely fresh ideas.

I wouldn't mind them giving Gabe Sapolsky the job even though i imagine on here everyone probably hates him. If what paul heyman wanted was true I can see why they didnt give him the job tbh

My understanding was that Heyman wanted to do things his way but Dixie Carter expected him to fit in with Hogan/Russo/Bischoff etc and share equal input.

Heyman knew his hands would be tied with him sharing creative duties with so many others and basically said no to Dixie.

• Paid Members
Someone that has new ideas. I think that's wrestlings biggest weakness the past decade - status quo needs a kick up the arse.

I'm not sure who that would be. it seems to me (making a massive generalisation) that everyone seems to book like the people they worked for. So you've either got an older generation of guys who'll try and reproduce Championship Wrestling From Florida or a younger generation who'll go down the ECW or WCW/WWF of 1997/98 route. No-one seems to have genuinely fresh ideas.

I think you are making a massive generalisation.

I think the mid 90s is a good example of companies risking their creative with fresh people and getting the rewards. WCW went with the under qualified but youthful Eric Bischoff and he turned WCW into the number one wrestling organization in the world and they were making a shit load of cash before ego took over. ECW gave Paul Heyman a chance and his ideas were then nicked by the big two; he creating a brand that is still talked about and mimmicked today. Even Vince McMahon decided to listen to his magazine writer and we all saw how much cash WWF made out of that.

Only one way to find out.

• Paid Members

I think you are making a massive generalisation.

I think the mid 90s is a good example of companies risking their creative with fresh people and getting the rewards. WCW went with the under qualified but youthful Eric Bischoff and he turned WCW into the number one wrestling organization in the world and they were making a shit load of cash before ego took over. ECW gave Paul Heyman a chance and his ideas were then nicked by the big two - creating a brand that is still talked about and mimmicked today. Even Vince McMahon decided to listen to his magazine writer and we all saw how much cash WWF made out of that.

Only one way to find out.

I did think of Bischoff and Heyman when I made the generalisation. They did have fresh ideas, you're right, but no-one since has thought of anything new beyond that formula. The only "new" ideas that have gotten a lot of praise in the past 10 years or so are really old ideas that have come around again and that's only at a low level like ROH.

When I make the generalisation, I'm thinking of guys like Tommy Dreamer. There must be somebody fresh out there who understands pro-wrestling, has a creative mind and doesn't want to recycle pro-wrestling from 12 years ago.

I wish she gives someone fresh the booking/writing job. Someone that has new ideas. I think that's wrestlings biggest weakness the past decade - status quo needs a kick up the arse.

Yep, I agree. Up until the recent hot period, the WWE had suffered for years from mind-numbingly dull programming, and a lot of that was surely due to complacency - TNA are never going to offer realistic competition, and Stephanie McMahon's job as head writer will never be in danger no matter how awful she is.

As for TNA, it does seem to be going through a pretty boring transitional period at the moment, and I'm hoping something's on the horizon to shake things up - I think a major problem is they're already running with angles that have already been killed by Russo's manic swerves and turns (Immortal being a major example).

At the moment, I'd just about say I've got more faith in the WWE to start pushing the status quo a bit - that's probably because they seem to have been producing more edgy TV and reaching out to fans over the age of 10 in the run-up to Wrestlemania, and also because it really does seem like the Cena turn HAS to happen in the next 12 months. Equally though, I'm just as wary of Vince coming up with some new hair-brained 'entertainment' oriented idea like the fucking guest hosts to push the name change.

Archived