Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I watched a documentary about James Randi last night. It was on the US Netflix and is called Honest Liar. It goes over his efforts to debunk frauds who claim they have "powers" and such like. It also delves into his own fraudulent behaviours. Really good I thought.

Watched that myself las night too. Loved the bits where he debunked things on Johnny Carson.

Indeed. The outing of Popoff was great. His crusade against Uri Geller also got brownie points from me. Can't stand him.

Also, I now want to figure out how he does his rope trick. :(

Is it the same as the Storyville one, or am I getting muddled?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Honest_Liar

Caught a decent film documentary on Netflix this afternoon called Nightmare Factory looking at how special effects are done in movies, specifically horror and sci fi. It runs for around 90 mins and features guest interviews with Elijah Wood and Simon Pegg (who, while visiting the company at the centre of the doc, got to wear the makeup used for the character Bub in Day of the Dead)

• Paid Members

"Blackfish" is on at 9:55pm tonight (22nd July) on BBC4. Might be worth a watch if you haven't seen in.

I've seen that before. It really is shocking how foolishly humans treat animals.

The show on before Blackfish last night, was a documentary on a Circus Elephant that ended up killing it's handler and rampaging through the streets of Honolulu. That's worth watching too.

• Paid Members

I've been bingeing on them on youtube. Mainly ones on racism and fascism

Weird, as I've been doing exactly the same. I love World in Action (that bloody awesome theme tune), they did 3 episodes on Combat 18, which I found interesting. I also came across one about Nicholas van Hoogstraten, a considerably massive prick on the dickhead scale. 

• Awards Moderator

I also came across one about Nicholas van Hoogstraten, a considerably massive prick on the dickhead scale. 

Was he in the Road Warriors?

Bitter Lake is on iPlayer for a year or so. I started watching it last night but gave up after an hour. There were really interesting voiceover bits of commentary, then ages of rambling footage of soldiers dancing or people having eye tests. Tested my patience. Should I have persevered?

• 2 weeks later...

SKY are going to show Going Clear on September 21st, according to BBC News. They don't specify which channel, but I expect it will be SKY Atlantic.

I went buy the church of Scientology (we didn't plan it, we were on our way to St Pauls Cathedral and randomly passed it) when I was in London this past weekend, I was up for going to do a personality test but the wife wasn't so keen