30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

Tell you what is funny about looking back at those though... After being spoiled for choice by GTA games, and then that becoming the norm, it's odd to look back and think there were so few different songs on those games.

Yeah, I was just thinking that also. It's crazy just how much the GTA series (from III onwards) raised the bar in so many different ways and seemed so much better than anything else that was out at the time.

I remember seeing pictures of GTA III in magazines and thinking how it looked worlds apart from anything else that was out at the time, then I played it and it was unlike anything I'd ever played on before.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed out on the other questions... bugger!

I give massive Kudos to Rockstar and GTA. From track selection to Talk Radio, all are pretty darn fantastic. ALso Reznor did a cracking job with Quake. However my personal vote goes with this bad boy:

loaded.jpg

Entire soundtrack by Pop Will Eat Itself... damn near blew off my gonads when I first got my hands on it.

Also Outrun, Bubble Bobble & Double Dragon. F'in awesome tunes.

Good shout on Syphon Filter II as far as most underrated game. I enjoyed the series as a whole and the PSP ones are definately worth checking out too. I would love a full on next gen iteration on the PlayStation.

Soundtracks I'll go with the already mentioned Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 for licensed music and Final Fantasy VII for the original score. Endless free plays of Skater Island and Airport introduced me to bands like CKY as a kid and I still have a soft spot for that dumb skater music. It seems most of my friends also will bang out acapella the opening riff of 96 Quite Bitter Beings upon mention of the game.

FFVII's score is just majestic and apart from the obvious ones I would cite the ominous City Of The Ancients theme and the main theme used on the World Map as being examples of this. FFIX's soundtrack isin't too far behind either.

Props to whoever mentioned the difference in the Doom music too. I'm not sure which I love more, the cheesy MIDI rawk or the atmospheric synth stuff on the PlayStation version [Which in it's own right is probably the best version you can play save for the controls. I just cannot get used to straffing with shoulder buttons. But those lighting effects!~].

Honorable mentions go to the Elder Scrolls and Metal Gear Solid games.

EDIT : And fuck, nobody has mentioned Wipeout yet. Chemical Brothers, Cold Storage, Orbital etc.

• Paid Members

Just notied this thread so apologies for my late mentions.

I'll start on where your all at though.

SOUNDTRACK:

Well i think the obvious ones have been mentioned, so im going for an oddball choice, a game that made me realise 'wow the music on this is great'...

Thrasher Skate & Destroy - awesome hip hop soundtrack, just love it.

Also, ive got to mention - Skitchin, i was in to my metal as a youngster and this fed my want to listen to metal and play games.

Lets be honest, music 2000 was a class game for music, pure shit if you have dabbled in or area music producer (me) but what a laugh it was having sneaky drinks and smokes with a group of mates playing on that game and making stupid beats.

Great times

Lets be honest, music 2000 was a class game for music, pure shit if you have dabbled in or area music producer (me) but what a laugh it was having sneaky drinks and smokes with a group of mates playing on that game and making stupid beats.

Great times

You've just reminded me of an old gem I'd forgotten, I absolutely loved that. Yes it was silly and yes it was never going to appeal to the music producer/enthusiast but damn it was fun for casuals like me. I LOVED this.

As far as my answer for soundtracks, I'm going with the GTA series because they just made those radio stations work so well.

Streets Of Rage 3's soundtrack is complete garbage. Apart from a few decent tunes it's largely an abrasive mess. The other two are definately up there though. I actually find the first games soundtrack better than SOR2's, which is usually the cited game.

• Paid Members
Props to whoever mentioned the difference in the Doom music too. I'm not sure which I love more, the cheesy MIDI rawk or the atmospheric synth stuff on the PlayStation version [Which in it's own right is probably the best version you can play save for the controls. I just cannot get used to straffing with shoulder buttons. But those lighting effects!~].

Yeah, the controls took some getting used to for me at first but these days I actually prefer them. You could actually fully customize them, but I never bothered with that option. It was pretty weird having the X button not do anything in a game apart from straffing. And triangle to shoot?! What were they smoking? Whatever it is, I want some. I forgot about the lighting effects too, good grief that was awesome. I didn't play much Final Doom, but from what I can recall it was even better in terms of lighting effects then too. Also, the monsters actually sound way scarier. Fuck I love Playstation Doom!

• Paid Members

Missed yesterdays so will quickly chime in with the soundtrack to Red Dead Redemption and Fallout 3/New Vegas being perfect. Perfectly captures the atmosphere and feel of the games. And with Red Dead when the Compass song kicks in once you're on your way back to your family it's one of the most perfect game moments ever. Super Mario 64 also brings the music awesome.

As for saddest moments, that's a tough one as while games can be emotional it's rare that the stroylines and scripts are good enough to get as strong an emotion as you would from a movie/tv show/book. In Uncharted 2 when I thought the blonde girl was going to die I got quite upset. Also John Marston's fate was perfectly done in Red Dead.

Archived