30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

• Paid Members

I'm splitting this into two- Best Soundtrack and Best Original Score

Best Soundtrack- Vice City. Or San Andres. I'm torn between the two.

Best original score- Legend of Zelda. Either A Link to the Past or Twilight Princess. Breathtaking stuff, the Hyrule Field themes in particular are incredible.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit saddened by the fact that almost all of you have interpreted Soundtrack to mean "music". There's so much more to sound design in videogames than just music, important though it is.

If I had to pick a favourite soundtrack, I'd be tempted by COD4. It was such a leap forwards in terms of immersive sound, with a real sense of the battle around you, plus all the dialogue was first rate, with the NPCs chattering over your radio, good music score that added to the drama. The fact that it all worked in mulitplayer too was awesome.

• Moderators

That's not the question though. If you talk about the soundtrack of a film you're not really including all the work that goes into the sound editing, and the background noises (which are apparently all inserted afterwards, did you know?).

Which is why it made more sense to go for songs.

If the question was 'what game had the best sound design' then my answer would have been different.

• Moderators

I'm going to be a luddite and have music as Soundtrack

The foreign version of the game also had it speeded up to fuck and sounds like something to be all shaun ryder and have it large to it's that many BPM.

Fucking Rocking.

Good arrows on EA Hockey, Butch.

Zelda 3 A link to the past or whatever it was called was cracking. Whenever I hear Something For The Weekend by Divine Comedy it reminds of the bit where you are Darkworld

And here is a Top Ten tunes from the game

And yeah, I'm with Chest on the Soundtrack/sound design thing.

• Moderators

Never played this game, but it's awesome music.

Loki, you're the expert on computer games and computer game music around here. How do they make that multilayered music and stuff on the speccy?

That's not the question though. If you talk about the soundtrack of a film you're not really including all the work that goes into the sound editing, and the background noises (which are apparently all inserted afterwards, did you know?).

Which is why it made more sense to go for songs.

If the question was 'what game had the best sound design' then my answer would have been different.

Sorry to be pedantic, but you're confusing soundtrack with score.

It's the Oscar for Best Original Score that is given for the best music in a film. "Soundtrack" technically means all sound elements of a film or videogame.

Almost everybody gets this wrong though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Moderators

I think my point was just that you shouldn't be 'saddened by our interpretation', cos that's the most common usage of the terminology (technically correct or not) - don't worry, it doesn't mean we don't appreciate all the tireless hours people like yourself put in to create such rich aural tapestries for our gaming pleasure!

I think my point was just that you shouldn't be 'saddened by our interpretation', cos that's the most common usage of the terminology (technically correct or not) - don't worry, it doesn't mean we don't appreciate all the tireless hours people like yourself put in to create such rich aural tapestries for our gaming pleasure!

I shipped a 38 metacritic game last year, so nobody owes me anything at the moment :(

I'll split this in to two as well.

Best Original Soundtrack:

Shadow of the Colossus

An excellent orchestral score that fitted the game superbly and ranged from the uplifting to the hauntingly eerie. The best of the tracks included The Opened Way, A Violent Encounter, Counterattack and

Honourable mentions go to:

Tekken 5 - Some great tracks, including Sparking, Ground Zero Funk and

Uncharted 2 - The first game's music was very good as well. Best tracks included

, Marco Polo and

Mass Effect 2 was great as well. Loved

from the VIP/lower level area of Afterlife on Omega in particular.

Best Licensed Soundtrack:

Fallout 3

As most people have/will quite rightly have chosen some of the GTA games I thought I'd mix it up a bit. Fallout 3's tracks were great to listen to out in the Capital Wasteland and at times really helped to set the atmosphere of the game. Some of the best tracks included

and of course

Honourable mentions to:

Most of the GTA games - Some of the best songs have included

, Sunglasses At Night (GTA:VC),
and

Fallout: New Vegas - The soundtrack wasn't as great as Fallout 3 but was still good and had some great songs like

and

Mafia II - It had some great songs from the two time periods, including Who Wrote The Book of Love,

, Long Tall Sally and

Stubbs The Zombie - Some good covers of old songs such as Lollipop, Earth Angel and

. There was also a megamix of sorts in this

Argh, I can't believe what I'm reading. Two people who prefer the THPS 2 soundtrack to the third game!? As good as the music in the second game was, I'd take the soundtrack from Tony Hawks 3 any day. Personal preferences here obviously.

Archived