30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

Legend Killer, cheers for the reply. No that wasn't it, but fuck me I owe you a huge thank you! I just YouTube'd 'Jungle Strike' and it recommended me to click on 'Desert Strike'. Turns out Jungle Strike was the sequel to DS. Desert Strike was the game I've had in the back of my head for all these years yet never managed to remember enough of it to find out what it was. I recognised it straight away from the video. Cheers man!

it is in all it's glory!

:thumbsup:

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1st game I owned as my own was Alex Kidd In Miracle World which was built into the Master System 2 I got from Christmas as a kid. I'd played earlier games on my brothers Commodore 64 like Chucky Egg, there was this game I love as a kid which was a fighting game and you could chop the opponents head of with a sword and a little dwarf ran onto the screen and pulled the body away.

Does anyone know what I'm on about? it may have been a Conan game I'm not sure and I dont think it was for the C64.

First game i ever played was Frogger on an ancient(even by the standards at the time) IBM computer in about 1993/4.

First game i played on a console was Sonic The Hedgehog cos it was built into my Sega MasterSystem. On a side note did anyone else on here have a MasterSystem with Sonic built into it cos just about everyone we knew back then had the one with Alex Kidd built in so i'm just wondering how common they were.

The you went on other missions around the globe to stop the terrorist plot;

63211-Urban_Strike.png

That was a great game.

Thats from Urban and not Jungle Strike, Psyche... :D

I'm gunna struggle with all these questions as will be apparent as we go through

As for first game... Astro Wars/Space Invaders St. Pirrin Inn, Holywell Bay, early 1980's

• Paid Members
You catch on quick Fruitcorner.

I only saw the first reply before I decided to join in, sorry. Like fuck am I going to re-visit this thread every day for the next month...

You best do, motherfucker. I look forward to hearing from your gaming experiences over the course of the next month :p

Oh fuck it, I'll do my best. But you know my results now...I'll edit my previous post.

Day 1- First game played

Jet Set Willy, well this is the earliest game I remember playing. It was on our Commodore plus 4 (which is different from a Commodore 64, apparently. Which is also different to a Nintendo 64...).

You played the role of a butler who has to clean all the shit that has been left lying around in a mansion following a big party. You don't get awesome back-drops like this any more. Here are some thrilling screens:

JetSetWilly.png

jsw.gif

jet_set_willy_2.png

I didn't care much for FireAnt or Kung Fu, it was all about the litter-picking butler for me.

My first video game:

WWF WrestleMania Challenge for the NES. I got that and my NES for Christmas '91. I had a hand-me-down spectrum a little bit before that that I must have played some games on, but all I remember is waiting hours for stuff to load and then it crashing.

I went with my mammy to Comet to buy WrestleMania Challenge, some time before Christmas. I was allowed to read the instructions and look at the box. NES packaging was great, with those little wallet things the games came in. I might have played Super Mario Bros or Duck Hunt before WrestleMania Challenge to be fair, but that was the first game that I held in my hands. And that's the one I remember playing the most on Christmas day.

206036-wwf_wrestlemania_challenge_large.jpg

My favourite character:

I'm tempted to say Blanka as I was fascinated by him during the initial Street Fighter 2 craze. But I'll go with this fella, who's the only game character (well, besides wrestlers) that I've bought merchandise of in the last decade:

lbp-sackboy-angry-590x613.jpg

Day 1 - My First Game.

columns%20game%20play.jpg

Columns - Sega Megadrive.

Whilst Sonic The Hedgehog was most probably my second game, this was the first one I booted up on that six game bad boy of a cart when I got my Megadrive about thirteen years ago. I had never and have never yet played Tetris or any other game of it's sort so this is my Tetris. Only it's all Roman and shit. Or Greek. Whichever. I became addicted to it and still give it the odd whirl on the PS3 via the majestic Sega Ultimate Collection. Nothing beats arranging blocks by colour as some ambient Roman music flirts away in the backround. Or Greek. Whichever.

Day 2 - My Favourite Character.

xbox360metalgearsolid4-2.jpg

SNAAAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

It could only be this bloke. I wanted to go for Naked Snake - Big Boss - who is technically my favourite incarnation but picking his son allowed me to squeeze in more classic varations as his story spreads across multiple games. Here is a man who is invading heavily fortified military installations - pitted against ruthless terrorists with severe personality disorders - and he is having a whale of a time. It's not lost on me that Snake is an utter prick. His a complete bastard to most people he meets in the game and comes across as a crass, charmless James Bond but that's all part of the appeal. Wolves bone him, Christopher Eccleston could play his evil brother in a movie, he can pilot a mini nuke like an RC car and he smuggles cigarettes inside his STOMACH.

AWESOME!

First Game

I can't remember the first game I played, but the first game I bought was Theme Park. I bought it just after we got our first PC at home and I loved it. I had played it on a console at a friends house before I had a PC so I knew how good it was. I was disappointed though that unlike the console version I played, the PC version didn't have the rock band in it.

Favourite Character

472px-NathanDrakeU3.jpg

Nathan Drake.

It was very tough to choose between several other potential choices, but Drake just edged it. Drake isn't your typical muscled up action hero kind of character, instead he's a reasonably relatable character who is both funny and likeable but at the same time flawed, which makes him seem like a much more realistic character.

• Paid Members

Day 3 - An underrated game

mcd.jpg

McDonald Land for the Amiga

An awesome little platformer that clearly took a lot of inspiration from Mario. It may be a fast-food-chain franchise inspired production, but that doesn't mean it's not fantastic fun. I absolutely love it.

And from a more modern standpoint:

project_rub_2_multijoueur_20050903.jpg

Project Rub

It's hard to explain Project Rub. I guess it's essentially a compilation of mini-games, but at the same time it's so much more than that. It is, in my opinion, the best use of the DS touch screen in any game. The premise is that you've met a girl. You want to woo her. You take part in a series of bizarre events to do just that, including regurgitating a goldfish and blowing out candles. It's a weird, weird game, but utterly brilliant.

Favourite Character-

None! I cant say that I identify with a particular game character enough to make one my clear favourite. I could say Max from Streets of Rage II but that wouldnt be a truthful answer and would just be for answering the question's sake.

Underrated Game-

Cracking conversion of the game ( albeit 1 player only, but this makes it better as sorts out pacing issues from the arcade) and a whole new version of the game thrown in as well. Unfairly reviewed when it came out scoring a massive 13% in Sega Pro. Definitely one to check out. Awesome soundtrack as well

Archived