30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

• Paid Members

Best Soundtrack

Vice City by an absolute mile, so much so that it seems like even debating this award is a personal insult to Rockstar. The fact that Chest also gave it the best soundtrack despite him listing his favourites as the 3 stations I never listened to shows how varied and deep it was.

Personally I spent most of my time on Emotion, Wave 103 and V-Rock. Both the chat stations were hilarious and the adverts were incredible (Rusty Brown' Ring Donuts, Thor's Self Help Tapes and the Farewell Ranch being among my favourites).

Runners up I'd say Rock Band 2 (although voting for a music game seems a bit cheaty for this category) and Tony Hawks 3.

If we're talking original soundtrack then for me it's Sonic the Hedgehog. (Starlight Zone is my favourite piece of original video game music) but pretty much all of the music is memorable to this day.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give it a go picking something with an 'original sountrack' too as it were, Steve! I found the question a lot more interesting once I started thinking down that route...

Hmmmmm, I remember The Revenge of Shinobi having a great opening track. But generally speaking I don't tend to take that much notice unless it's a song I recognise or it stands out (like Don't Turn The Lights On by Chromeo on the FIFA 11 track list).

Vice City is walking this in terms of soundtrack with licensed songs. It is the best ever put together.

I'm giving the nod to the incredible Mass Effect 2 score as the best original soundtrack ever put together, perfect for every part of the game. Comes out top when ranked against Halo, Half Life, Mario, Sonic, Uematsu scored games. Just great piece of music after great piece of music.

Vice City is walking this in terms of soundtrack with licensed songs. It is the best ever put together.

I'm giving the nod to the incredible Mass Effect 2 score as the best original soundtrack ever put together, perfect for every part of the game. Comes out top when ranked against Halo, Half Life, Mario, Sonic, Uematsu scored games. Just great piece of music after great piece of music.

Yeah mass effect 2 is also outstanding and it's great news that Clint Mansell is scoring Mass 3, I love his work.

• Paid Members
Day 06 - Most annoying character -

I'm going to answer this onesimply because of her:

oerba-dia-vanille.jpg

Final Fantasy XIII's Vanille

Heck, you could say this about most of the Final Fantasy series carefree/braindead female characters. But particularly this one. The voice acting in FFXIII is among the worst in gaming ever, and the actor's job probably wasn't made much easier with soul-achingly stupid characters like this one. The game was also pretty poor - but once again, that wasn't helped by the storytelling. Maybe I just don't get the Japanese humour, I dunno. I can imagine somewhere, someone in Japan is

whereas I just wanted to ram my head through the TV screen.

Day 08 - Best soundtrack

This is a tough one.

Sonic and Knuckles has an awesome soundtrack. Themes like:

Are fantastic pieces of work that bring a nostalgic tear to my eye.

Then there's Tekken 2, which has what I believe to be the best beat-em-up soundtrack ever:

But the winner has to be Final Fantasy VII. The soundtrack enchances the game tenfold:

World Map theme 2

Goddamn it, the songs are making me want to play Final Fantasy again - that's how fantastic they are - they evoke a certain attachment to the game. Awesome, awesome soundtrack.

Can't believe I missed out FFVII, even more so I can't believe you didn't link to that bitchin' boss music! But yeah, FFVII is a great one, the music has to drive the game really due to the lack of spoken dialogue, so it's all what you read and having the score enhance that and it's brilliant. I'm far too much of a nerd when it comes to video game music. Agreed on Vanille as well, fucking annoying.

• Paid Members

The score for the Last Ninja 2 on the C64 always raised goosebumps when I was a kid. Creatures and Creatures 2 by the Rowlands for the C64 is still a personal favourite. Oh, and Kens stage in Street Fighter 2 Arcade...

Recently, love the soundtracks to Left 4 Dead, Manhunt, Hitman 2, Gun and Evil Dead : Fistful of Boomstick...

I could never understand the praise lavished on the Halo soundtracks/scores. They're fucking horrendous and sound like something Finlay or Hornswoggle would jive on to the ring...

Best Soundtrack is a toughy I have so many to choose from

Afterburner (II/III) The Sega Sound Team Rock!

Final Take Off Mega CD

Streets of Rage 2 clearly is a work of genius

Spin on the Bridge

Max Man- Shiva's Theme

as is Herzog Zwei

Road Rash

Pacific Coast

Sierra Nevada

but the likes of Mercs,

A nice remix

Final Fight,

Mega CD Opening

Gunstar Heroes,

Ancient Ruins Cover

Combat Cars,

Moving on

is amazing

Ace Combat also scores highly

Ace Combat 5

Ace Combat 4

and Ill finish with a nice bit of

In short too many to choose and Ive left out loads as well including SF2, Outrun, Daytona, Touring Cars,Medal of Honour and so on and even SWOS!

• Paid Members

Re: Super Cena, excellent shouts on Fifa 99 and the sheer greatness that is Tony Hawks 3.

I've already referenced vice city twice so far by bringing up Tommy Vercetti, but I once again have to go with Vice City for having my favorite game soundtrack. Absolutely brilliant. See, I was only born in December 88, thus I by the time I could actually comprehend anything like that all of the 80's music had actually passed me by. But I'd heard the odd classic track before playing the game and when I did start playing it at the the tender age of 13 it introduced me to a whole new world of awesome 80's music. Then when I went back to playing the game every now and then it'd be all the more awesome as I'd grown to follow a lot of the bands who appeared in the game. Also, Vice City stories boasts a few stonking tunes as well, least of all some Phil Collins and some Dio. Never thought I'd ever really type those two names in the same sentance.

Also for nostalgia, The contrast in Doom soundtracks for the PC and PSone respectively are cool as hell. The PC version is well known, here's a YouTube link with some of the tracks for any of you nostalgia buffs:

But in contrast to the music above, the sound design for the Playstation version changes the complexion of the game completely. It makes it more atmospheric, dark, and damnright fucking scary to play in the dark.

• Paid Members

The soundtrack to Halo as a whole, not just the musical score, is a work of art. How the music changes in sympathy to what's happening, and the ambient noise play a massive part in how immersive the game it.

Years ago my friend was housesitting for someone who had a TV room, so we hooked the X-Box up to a 72" rear projection with obscenely overpowered surround sound. What I never realised until that point is that your heartbeat is mixed in with the soundtrack, and it changes speed with how tense the game is meant to make you feel.

Old school soundtrack? So many good ones. Everyone knows the original Double Dragon theme, yeah? How about R-Type? How about R-Type on the C64?

Archived