30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

Oo! I like this game :) Time to show my age...

First game:

The first game I bought was "The Hobbit" and I vaguely recall it costing an absolute fortune at the time as it was on five or six tapes. Before that, me and my Dad used to program games either from scratch or out of the latest (usually imported) PC mags. Click on the pic below to actually play it!

hobbit.png

Favourite character:

639428-treasure_island_dizzy_eu_box_art_super.jpg

I was OBSESSED with the Dizzy series of games as a kid. Absolutely obsessed. They still hold up very well nowadays - although they are SO much harder and unforgiving than most platformers. A nod of the head to:

tumblr_kzn5zgqNar1qax5njo1_400.jpg

Underrated game:

tony-hawk-s-pro-skater-2-52837.378287.jpg

The hours and hours of my life I have wasted on this game with my old housemates. The best multi player game in history, fi you have players who are really good at the game. I know it's rated - but it's never given the accolade of the absolute best that it could be, even now. Nod of the head to:

speedball2.jpg

Ice cream! Ice cream!

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The first game I have a memory of playing was Space Invaders on a table top machine in Blackpool. I badgered my Mum for 10p so I could play it, and then lasted all of about 20 seconds.

The first game I played on a home computer was either Harrier Attack on a rubber keyed ZX Spectrum, or Tron Deadly Disks on the Intellivision.

Favourite character is probably Sam Fisher at the moment. Either him or Renegade, although I did have a penchant for the Lee brothers (from Double Dragon) when I was little, and wished I had matching trousers and waistcoat too.

Underated game? I still maintain that (Root Beer) Tapper is fucking solid, even now.

Re: Jet Set Willy.

The character is Miner Willy (from Manic Miner) after he's become rich. He's had a massive fuck off party, but his housekeeper won't let him go to bed until he's tidied up.

Underrated Game:

Porche%20challenge.jpg

I'm not a great fan of driving games. They usually last a couple of hours never to played again. But I played this solidly for about a month, and even went back to it a year or so later. Don't know why, maybe it was because it was the first driving game I could actually handle.

• Paid Members

Underrated game: Bully/Canis Canem Edit

You hear people rave about GTA, Red Dead and the first Manhunt game about being strokes of genius on the part of Rockstar- but christ this is up there with the big boys. I know it is rated by most, but I think it's that good that it doesn't get the credibility it deserves. Grand theft auto, in school! Genius.

canis-canem-edit.jpg

Top Ranking Tennis for the Game Boy is a brilliant little tennis game that is also underrated. You 'create' (i.e. name and select a style) your own player and work your way up through the ranks, playing on different court types. The different styles and abilities of the AI opponents is impressive give this was a Game Boy game made in the early 90s.

trt_thumb.jpg

Re: Jet Set Willy.

The character is Miner Willy (from Manic Miner) after he's become rich. He's had a massive fuck off party, but his housekeeper won't let him go to bed until he's tidied up.

If you complete Jet Set Willy 2, you end up in the first level of Manic Miner, true story.

The infinite lives poke was

35 Poke 35899,0

For those who want to give it a try.

• Paid Members

Day 3- Underated game.

This is a difficult category really, as there's a fair few nominatuions here that were recognised as brilliant and thus were never really underated. However I think I've got one here. Whilst it did get praise at the time, I can't remember it being hailed as much as other games around that period. With that being said...

10d8qvb.jpg

Insanely fun. Firstly, Rik Mayal's voice talents are truly brilliant in this game and really add to the silliness. It's pig warfare, baby. Great fun on multi-player which really gives the game some longevity. I tend to get back into games like this in the summer months when Uni is finished as something to kill time between more shifts at work. Cool weapons, cool voice overs, good gameplay (even for a turn-based game, which usually narks me a bit) and overall, lots of fun. There's always talk of them making a second game but for whatever reason I think it keeps getting shelved. A shame, as I think in today's climate with the likes of Call of Duty making big money this would make a nice parody style alternative.

• Moderators
If you complete Jet Set Willy 2, you end up in the first level of Manic Miner, true story.

The infinite lives poke was

35 Poke 35899,0

For those who want to give it a try.

Did you know that POKE from memory?

• Paid Members

Underrated Game -

69_skate-xbox-360_L_pbilimage1.jpg

Skate is the closest thing to real life skating boarding in computer game format. The ability to grind 50 meters on a telephone wire gone. Real skateboarding was the name of the game.

The 'onboard physics' guided by the 'flick-it' system is the reason why Tony Hawks games are now a thing of the past.

Copies of the disc would have been thrown in the bin or snapped by frustrated people across the world who are put off by the steep learning curve of the game. Once mastered though, it is one of the most creative games to play.

Truely a great game.

Underrated Game

TheSuffering.jpg

It mostly received fairly average reviews at the time but I thought that the game was really good. It was very atmospheric and there were some genuinely scary moments and some interesting locations. You definitely had to have the sound on to get the full effect, such as suddenly hearing the sound of clinking metal which meant that slayers were nearby. The sequel was decent but not nearly as good as the first game.

Also, an honourable mention to:

Vampire-the-Masquerade-Bloodlines-.jpg

It sold fairly poorly and whilst it got some decent reviews it was criticised for the number of bugs that were in the game. After patches it was good and definitely should have sold a lot more copies.

Archived