30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony_Hawk

I could have went with anything from GTA to Final Fantasy but all those games have had annoying gameplay nuances and a massive story and production to carry them along. With that in mind I decided to go for just pure undiluted gameplay greatness and there can only be one. While Hawk's third outing isin't even my favourite of the series - an honor that oddly enough goes to Underground 2 [some innovative, over the top goals, classic mode coming into it's own, some of the best levels of the series] - it is the game where the last of the important gameplay elements were added, namely the revert.

What else can I say about it. It's fast, it's fluid, and I could waste hours of my life free skating around relatively compact levels. As much time in fact as I would spend on any RPG. Easy to learn, difficult to master and once you are compotent enough at it you can sort of run on autopilot pulling these amazing combos to a pumping soundtrack in some well designed, ultra thematic levels.

It's the business.

Gameplay... has to be pokemon for me, I suppose any of them really as the gameplay has been identical for over a decade. Instantly accessible, easy to learn but a lifetime to master. I'd go with the first guitar hero as a close second.

I'd say it was amazing for when it came out, but it's really aged now.

The best game for gameplay that I've ever played was Elite 2 Frontier: First Encounters. Years, literally years of game, incredible diversity of what you could do, and all on one floppy.

Close second would be the first Halo. This monumental game did 2 things - firstly it proved that FPSes could be as good, if not better on console than PC, and secondly it completely revolutionised the genre, with recharging health, 2 weapon slots etc. becoming the standard from then on. Still probably the best shooter of all time.

Elite 2 was very good, but exaggerating it somewhat. Console shooters haven't progressed, and in fact regressed by a massive margin and games have redefined the genre over and over on PC. System Shock, Deus Ex, HL, HL2, Portal are all superior games in every facet. Console gaming is holding back PC gaming.

It isn't about graphics either, that's a complete given seen as they're newer but in how they play and flow and the storytelling, writing and characters and emotional involvement.

Game Play

Gunstar Heroes.. Deft, nuanced, run n'gun, superb range of skills and shots and responsiveness.. chuck in elements of platforming and a Horizontal Space Shoot'em Up towards the end and now you have a proper game

Others include:-

Carrier Command. Incredibly underrated game of strategy from back in the day, massively open ended and in a world of your own

Star Control 2: The Ur Quan Masters.. Immense game variety of ships to control, basically Space War with an integrated plot and battles.. Superb

Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix. The Grandaddy of all modern style racers with the shift from 2d to 3d finally realised spectacularly. A novel approach to two players and an incredible detail and responsiveness. Excellent

Goldeneye. It has it all. Still super fun of Multi-player, and keeps on showing why computer games have been shit since about 1999.

Goldeneye has aged terribly and wasn't that great in the first place, Time Splitters 2, by the same team largely was much much better and is still very playable. Got Chinese?

• Paid Members

I'm with Pat on this one. Goldeneye is bizarrely over-rated, even when it was originally released. I've played the old one and the new one and both of them are just average games.

• Paid Members
Goldeneye. It has it all. Still super fun of Multi-player, and keeps on showing why computer games have been shit since about 1999.

Goldeneye has aged terribly and wasn't that great in the first place

Of course it's aged, pretty every game of that era has. And people say it like it's supposed to be a bad thing? I would far rather play Goldeneye than almost every other game released in the last 5 years with the possible exception of the GTA games.

• Paid Members

Goldeneye has aged terribly and wasn't that great in the first place

Of course it's aged, pretty every game of that era has. And people say it like it's supposed to be a bad thing? I would far rather play Goldeneye than almost every other game released in the last 5 years with the possible exception of the GTA games.

That's just mental. There's been some absolutely outstanding games released in the last 5 years.

• Paid Members

Some amazing shouts here, love some of the names shouted so far.

Im going to stay away from the obvious too, GTA's, Red Dead, Pro EVo's, Fifas etc etc are all obvious for me and too easy to name. So like the majority of what my answers will be, im going to try and stick with Mega Drive games, it was my first console (personal, not shared with others) and i had soooo much fun on that machine.

Now, im going to struggle to say exactly 'why' i loved the following for gameplay so much, as it was ages ago, i was a kid in to games and these choices are based mainly on nostalgia, saying that... i do plan on playing some of these again

In no particular order:

ROAD RASH 1

road-rash1.jpg

This game for me was just incredible, it was the first of its kind and waayyyyy before its time. I can see how it has influenced so many games, it was a racing game, a fighting game and buying game all in one. Dont get me wrong, the 2nd and 3rd wernt really step ups in game play or anything (its not like sonic was either in fairness).. and to be fair, road rash 3d sucked arse, Jailbreak and 64 wernt much better.

The original however was quite possibly one of the best games ever made and i'll be honest, ive got no idea why EA haven't tried to remake this classic on the 360 or PS3. The potential the game could have... same formula, but the graphics, the bikes/parts/shop/theft, the friendships/relationships you have with other riders, the potential of online/multiplayer modes... the list could go for ideas i have for this game.

You never know, maybe one day!

JAMES POND II - ROBOCOD

a_med_eg_robocod01.jpg

Errrmmm, i really dont know, the game was pretty shit in fairness, but bloody hell, it was addictive. I struggled to put the joypad down and it was one of those games that it was pretty easy to lose a life (pictured in the bottom left of your screen), so you could play the take turns life thing.. basically the same thing you can do with any random megadrive platformer, which leads me on to...

KID CHAMELEON

ccf6f6d0c8a8c0a54440aa8393c28487-Kid_Chameleon.png

What a piece of art this game was, hard as hell for whatever reason, but crikey, the buzz that could be had from hitting a box and gaining a new costume/persona. For whatever reason, the way the boxes/costumes were in this game, it beat the mario and sonic 'hit a box for super powers' idea.

It was just your bog standard platformer that didnt use the full 16 bit allowance, but it made up for it with pure gameplay and addiction. Possibly the most under rated platformer of all time!

I could list loads of these games in fairness, but im going to have to go with...

ROAD RASH

roadrash1qk5.jpg

Archived