30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

The the foot crushing scene when you run out of lives in Manic Miner...

When the woman in the red dress (Audrey?) dies in RE 2

Obviously the Aerith death scene in FFVII

When your Dad gets killed in Fallout 3

When my first created Boxer in Fight Night Round 3 had to retire, from the dizzying heights of 70+ successful defences to getting fat and slow and being KO'd by a 2-0 boxer...Gutted.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed yesterday, but today's entry is linked so I'll do both together.

Best Soundtrack for me is Shadow of the Colossus. Stunning stuff.

It also gets the saddest scene for the part where you're climbing to fight the last Colossus and the horse bites the dust. I genuinely had a feeling of sadness at that.

We're going pretty spoilerific now, so I'll just say Metal Gear 4 spoilers below

For me, the saddest scene in gaming is right at the end of Metal Gear 4, with Solid Snake kneeling at the gravestone with a gun to his mouth. He's knows he's a ticking time bomb and the whole saga has led up to his degradation. The trigger sounds and screen cuts to black. I'd lie if I said I wasn't completely choked up at that point.

• Paid Members

The finale of Red Dead Redemption was the first that came to mind, I'm wondering how much of it is due to it being recent and therefore fresh in my memory though. I don't think me losing the finals of the FA Cup and Champions League and losing the premiership by 2 points in the same season of football manager really counts as a game 'scene' as such. But that made me pretty sad :)

• Paid Members
We're going pretty spoilerific now, so I'll just say Metal Gear 4 spoilers below

For me, the saddest scene in gaming is right at the end of Metal Gear 4, with Solid Snake kneeling at the gravestone with a gun to his mouth. He's knows he's a ticking time bomb and the whole saga has led up to his degradation. The trigger sounds and screen cuts to black. I'd lie if I said I wasn't completely choked up at that point.

This was what I was going to post. I was bawling my eyes out when I first saw this, even my brother had tears in his eyes. Being a metal gear nerd anyway it was going to hit hard, but this scene was so beautifully done it had my friends who were a bit 'meh' when it comes to Metal Gear completely transfixed and arses glued to the sofa. I still get upset and teary eyed when I watch it now. Big Boss :love:

• Moderators
I don't think me losing the finals of the FA Cup and Champions League and losing the premiership by 2 points in the same season of football manager really counts as a game 'scene' as such. But that made me pretty sad :)

No, it does count. Nothing sadder than losing in the playoff finals.

• Paid Members

Playing Resident Evil as a child and stumbling across Barry sat on the floor nursing a fatal wound inflicted by the Zombies. Him then giving you the picture of his wife/child to take with you before he dies.

Poor Barry :(

Not the saddest thing, but before Resi, my gaming consisted of cute cuddly characters like Sonic and Mario, I'd never seen anything like Resi before.

Stuff from that game could easily be used to answer most of these questions imo.

Missed yesterday, but today's entry is linked so I'll do both together.

Best Soundtrack for me is Shadow of the Colossus. Stunning stuff.

It also gets the saddest scene for the part where you're climbing to fight the last Colossus and the horse bites the dust. I genuinely had a feeling of sadness at that.

i forgot about that one.

Although I am stuck on the 5th Colossus....might need to talk to get some assistance Uncle.

Gutted to find out the horse dies too....

• Paid Members
Obviously the Aerith death scene in FFVII

Whoah - gonna be pedantic and anal here, but in the UK it's always been AERIS. Yeah, translation error, I know. But Aeris it is. 'Aerith' people annoy me as much as 'Eggman' people.

But yeah, it probably is the saddest scene. Same story for when Rinoa was drifting off to space in FF8. that's pretty sad to watch too...

The really great touch on the whole Aeris/Aerith death sequence is the fight with Jenova that takes place immediately. It's a fight you can't lose - I believe she only has one attack and you're immune to it if you have the Water Ring equipped (geekiest sentence I'll ever type right there) - and that's the point. It's not meant to be a difficult boss encounter, it's meant to be cathartic, and having the Aeris theme playing over the whole fight is simply stunning.

As for the MGS stuff mentioned, I personally found the ending of Snake Eater to be much more emotional.

Archived