30 Days of Gaming

Super Cena

• Paid Members

Best Gameplay

super-mario-galaxy-2-wii.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy 2 by a long shot. I mean, Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game, but as far as perfect gameplay goes I honestly don't think it gets any better than SMG2. It's fun, and in spite of it being a sequel it still feels fresh and innovative. It's a great example of just how gaming should be. Awesome stuff.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Goldeneye. It has it all. Still super fun of Multi-player, and keeps on showing why computer games have been shit since about 1999.

Goldeneye has aged terribly and wasn't that great in the first place

Of course it's aged, pretty every game of that era has. And people say it like it's supposed to be a bad thing? I would far rather play Goldeneye than almost every other game released in the last 5 years with the possible exception of the GTA games.

Some games age better than others. Some Saturn games such as Sega Rally Look as rough as a badgers arse, but still play well others just look awful and are creaking around the edges. Its not even comparing it with 'jaded eyes' as in hated it then, hate it now. I never had Goldeneye at the time, and played it only a few times during the day, revisiting about 4 or 5 years ago to see what all the fuss was about.

Transpires Goldeneye was overhyped to begin with. That's not to say it isnt solid, it just isnt as good as all and sundry would have you make out. It's more about the 'zeitgeist' with it rather than how good it is, and the multiplayer element rather than single player has greatly helped its legacy. As I said Timesplitters 2 is much better than it as things were refined by the same team pretty much as far as they could .

They subsequently dropped the ball with Timesplitters 3 and Haze ( the programmers split from Rare, as thats where much of its kudos comes from Rare=Good Maxim, to form Free Radical) and even the likes of Starwars Battlefront I and II provide a much better experience in terms of depth of death matches and what have you. Ironically, Free Radical were working on Battlefront III when they went Belly Up and were purchased by Crytek

So yeah. Goldeneye, the graphics jerk like a mofo and the controls are horrible, classic? Its not for me anyways

GoldenEye has certainly aged terrible. Going back to Tony Hawk it's like the first outing of that series. Another game which has aged terrible and stands up today as nothing more than the one that 'started something'.

Doom hasn't aged a bit apart from the obvious ways you would expect a game released in 1993 to age. Gameplay wise it's as solid and fun as it has ever been. GoldenEye? Not a chance.

TimeSplitters 2 is an amazing package. Forget the story. Arcade League it's where it's at. A genuinly outlandish game that's absence has yet to be filled. Crytek UK are begging for the green light on TS4 now and I hope it happens.

• Paid Members
I never had any issues with the controls nor the graphics.

Graphics are only an issue if you judge a game by the number of polygons on screen. Yes, people have blocky heads, but this doesn't hinder the game at all. Controls are fine (I still maintain that the N64 pad was a work of design genius), and apart from it being slower than it's modern equivalents, I don't think it's any less playable.

• Paid Members
I never had any issues with the controls nor the graphics.

Graphics are only an issue if you judge a game by the number of polygons on screen. Yes, people have blocky heads, but this doesn't hinder the game at all. Controls are fine (I still maintain that the N64 pad was a work of design genius), and apart from it being slower than it's modern equivalents, I don't think it's any less playable.

Me neither. And I can't say that I can understand how a game can become less playable over time. Goldeneye was, and still is, a brilliant game that rewarded repeated plays.

As for the N64 pad as a whole, I never had problems adapting to it. It took some getting used to but once you did I found it to be almost flawless. I also never struggled with Mario 64, which I know a lot of people did, although it had one or two camera based issues at times - nothing insurmountable though.

Superb stuff from Otacon and a well developed [and fucking hot] Naomi character. The Enclosure theme which plays is absoloutely beautiful too and one I could have went with for a certain earlier question.

:(

Can someone upload the music that plays during this scene without the talking? Thats all Youtube seems to have.

• Paid Members
I could have went with anything from GTA to Final Fantasy but all those games have had annoying gameplay nuances and a massive story and production to carry them along. With that in mind I decided to go for just pure undiluted gameplay greatness and there can only be one. While Hawk's third outing isin't even my favourite of the series - an honor that oddly enough goes to Underground 2 [some innovative, over the top goals, classic mode coming into it's own, some of the best levels of the series] - it is the game where the last of the important gameplay elements were added, namely the revert.

What else can I say about it. It's fast, it's fluid, and I could waste hours of my life free skating around relatively compact levels. As much time in fact as I would spend on any RPG. Easy to learn, difficult to master and once you are compotent enough at it you can sort of run on autopilot pulling these amazing combos to a pumping soundtrack in some well designed, ultra thematic levels.

It's the business.

Good post, 100% agreed. A seemingly endlessly addictive game.

• Paid Members

Day 11 - Gaming system of choice

I'm going to treat this one as a "favorite ever console" type category. In which case it has to be without a shadow of a doubt:

sony-playstation.439302.jpg

I don't think I've ever enjoyed gaming as much as when this system came out. I still remember the day I got the Playstation for the very first time, alongside Tekken 3, Tomb Raider 3 and Excalibur, three games I loved. Then there are a multitude of games I still enjoy to this day, such as:

* Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX

* Crash Bandicoot 1/2/3

* Tombi/Tombi 2

* Tekken 2/3

* Medievil

* Ape Escape

* Abe's Odysee/Exodus

* Tomb Raider 3

* Rayman

* Kula World

* Spyro The Dragon

...And many, many more...fantastic console, with arguably the best ever line up of games.

GAMING SYSTEM OF CHOICE...

Couldn't agree more with the PS1, I spent a huge amount of time playing on that console growing up.

I still get enjoyment out of playing Demo One from time to time!

Tomb Raider 3 is one of my all time favourite games, and you can add Tony Hawks 3 and Fifa 99 to that list. :thumbsup: Don't forget Colin McRae 2, Worms and the first Formula 1 game.

EDIT: How did I forget Smackdown 2!? The best wrestling game ever.

+1 for the Playstation. I went from playing Bruce Lee on an Atari Jaguar to playing Wipeout in a day after I finally realised I had backed the wrong horse and swopped consoles. All of a sudden gaming was cool, they had blockrocking soundtracks and popular appeal. I took mine to Uni and everyone was playing Tekken after the pubs shut in massive 20 man tournaments (and women too).

I still think WipeOut 2097 is the perfect example of why the Playstation was the best console ever. I remember getting two tvs back to back with 2 consoles and a system link cable and smashing that game with my mates for weeks on end.

For all the multiplayer mayhem of Xbox Live, it's lost some of the social fun of playing games with people in the same room.

The PC, absolutely the greatest in every department.

Goldeneye is still the most fun with a few people in the same room gaming on a TV. Although nothing tops 32 vs. 32 Battlefield 2 in Sweden, absolutely nothing has even come close.

Archived