Paid Members Jazzy G Posted April 29 Paid Members Posted April 29 SNK appear to have something in the works for the 30th anniversary of Metal Slug. https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/anniversary/metalslug30th/ Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted April 29 Paid Members Posted April 29 saw a story that the people behind ZSNES have built a new emulator with a lot of enhancement and quality of life features; https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2026/04/super-zsnes-is-a-stab-at-a-modern-snes-emulator-from-the-original-developers/ Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted April 29 Paid Members Posted April 29 46 minutes ago, BomberPat said: saw a story that the people behind ZSNES have built a new emulator with a lot of enhancement and quality of life features; https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2026/04/super-zsnes-is-a-stab-at-a-modern-snes-emulator-from-the-original-developers/ Yeah I saw that. Lots of good features added. Here's a really thorough breakdown I watched yesterday: Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted April 29 Paid Members Posted April 29 Either I'm the last person to find out about it, or the mad cow is kicking in, but I stumbled on this Double Dragon / WWF SuperStars hybrid today. https://magggas.itch.io/double-dragon-reloaded-alternate Just download the zip, extract and run the exe. It's amazing fun. If you didn't know when Tecmos got the WWF licence in superquick time they bastardised the Double Dragon engine to make SuperStars. So this carny dude has rebuilt the games and crossed them over, with loads of selectable characters. You can be Andre in DD, or play a Battle Royal as Jimmy Lee. Hard recommend. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted April 30 Paid Members Posted April 30 On 4/24/2026 at 12:08 AM, Jazzy G said: Tazmania was dreadful, but for some reason I'd always rent it from my corner shop. I can't remember if I owned Tazmania or always rented it too - I've explained before on here where I had a weird set-up where "my" Mega Drive technically belonged to the youth club my Mum ran, and my Dad worked in a video rental shop, so there were a ton of games we rented constantly rather than buying. Likewise, I remember playing the hell out of that game and really enjoying it, but it's appalling. I watched someone play it on a stream a while ago, and if you pick up too much speed the camera doesn't keep up and you just go spinning off the screen, and the sound is so badly done that the music cuts out every time a sound effect plays. Throw in all the shit level design and clunky collision detection of the majority of naff old 2D platformers and it's a miracle it was even playable. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted April 30 Paid Members Posted April 30 I think the Taz character did a lot of the heavy lifting because they did give him a fair bit of personality. They got a lot of the other characters from the show in as well. It was well thought out, but poorly executed. My regular rentals were Taz, Aladdin, Ecco and Cyborg Justice, a weird robot fighting gane/beat em up which was like a very poorly make knock off of Capcom's Armored Warriors. It was bloody difficult. Piece of piss compared to Tongue Of The Fatman AKA all those other bollocks names it had. Quote
Merzbow Posted May 15 Posted May 15 A decompilation project for Zelda: Twilight Princess has just been released, given it a quick play and it looks and runs so well. All you need is a Gamecube rom of the game and it'll play, there's no emulation here. Works on Steamdeck and has an Android port, too. https://github.com/TwilitRealm/dusklight Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted May 15 Paid Members Posted May 15 Been busy busy for the last couple of weeks but I booked time off this week for a wedding so had time to re-tinker my Dreamcast. I posted about it in here sometime in the last year or two, where I removed the disc drive and replaced it with a GDEmu SD Card reader. Well I had it working quite easily for the most part but the issue was there was a bunch of games that for one reason or another were incompatible. Skies of Arcadia, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Hydro Thunder for example only work with PAL roms on a PAL system due to some RGB/VGA issue with their NTSC/JP counterparts. This is now fixed and I have them all working. There's a whole set of AtomisWave games, AtomisWave being a custom arcade board that succeeded the Dreamcast and NeoGeo MVS so is home to a few SNK games like Metal Slug 6 and King of Fighters, and some unique SEGA games like Dolphin Blue which is a fantastic Metal Slug-style shooter that looks an plays beautifully. The fix for this was as simple as editing a text file to add a single line of, I guess, code. Now all of those AtomisWave games I had that never booted up work. Also included is a really frantic puzzler called Sushi Bar, which is Puyo Pop but you grab the peices off a rotating sushi belt. We had a ton of fun on that yesterday. Anyway, I had this all fixed and set up again when my SD card corrupted mid-refresh and basically knacked all the folders up requiring me to have to manually rename over 100 files which I simply couldn't be arsed with, so I wiped the lot and started from fresh as there's an installer to move all the game files across and name them automatically on the card. I used the opportunity to remove a load of games that weren't up to much and replace them with ones that are (Garou Mark of Wolves, Dead or Alive 2) or weird ports (Star Fox 64) and get artwork for as much of them on the menu as I could. Now it's all back up and running and I've been playing a bunch on it with my wife. The aforementioned Sushi Bar is solid for a 2 player puzzler. It's brutal like Bust a Move 4 or Tetris Attack where the aim is to combo loads of shit over to the other person's screen, and items on the conveyor belt will do things like speed up the games or reverse the movement of the belt. Great laugh, shame it never got ported to anything else as far as I'm aware. We gave a translated version of Seven Mansions a go. A Resident Evil clone but with fully functional 2 player co-op. Basically you explore a mansion full of mutants and solve some puzzles. The girl character has a stun gun like Scott Hall at Starrcade and the guy has a combat knife. The split screen works like Toejam and Earl where you share one screen but it splits off if you walk away from each other, but you can change this in the settings to be constantly split which is nice. Does some cool gimmicks where one character will get cornered by monsters while the other has to frantically search for a key. It's a bit janky but the co-op is enough to warrant playing it, and it's what Resident Evil 0 should have been. Blue Stinger is hit and miss as it looks nice and bright and has a unique setting on this little port island that seemed to have a christmas party going on, but the game plays pretty badly and the camera is atrocious. Enemies also respawn when you leave and re-enter screens which sucks. That being said, you can dismiss all of the gunplay and switch to the secondary character called DOGS who knows Karate and Sumo. This was much more fun but not enough to warrant playing more than a couple hours. GiantGram 2000 looks stunning. Up there with some of the best character models on the system, if not maybe the best. It's an All Japan (I think) wrestling game. It's all in Japanese so I wasn't 100% on the controls but I knew enough to hit Johnny Ace with the Tiger Driver for the 1-2-3. Fun stuff but not as accessible due to the language barrier and lack of translation that something like Fire Pro D got. We both played Crazy Taxi which for I think both of us is the best game on the system. Somehow despite us playing this heavily when I first got the Dreamcast, we both managed to set our highest individual scores on our first tries, finally getting that elusive S Rank. When people talk about arcade ports on the later Sega Consoles they usually talk about fighters, but for me this is the peak. Had quick goes of 3rd Strike, Garou Mark of Wolves and Rival Schools 2 amongst some other fighters, and they (as you would expect) look, sound and play brilliantly, but that Dreamcast pad doesn't half have a shit analogue stick and tiny crapped little D-Pad. I'm going to have to invest in an arcade stick at some point to get the most out of these. The Dreamcast really has a low bar when it comes to platformers, which as a Sega console is shocking. I know people love Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 but let's be honest they're fucking shite and the beginning of the end for what could be considered a good Sonic console game right up until maybe Sonic Colours and a great Sonic game right up to Sonic Mania. They really dragged the series into the dirt and it's a miracle the furry community kept him alive long enough to see a resurgence. To my main point, I tried Super Magnetic Neo which is Crash Bandicoot with magnets. Sloppy game, looks and plays trash and the magnet gimmick barely works because of the camera. Give it a miss. Excited to give a few more games I got a proper go. I'm one or two great games from loving the console, and I think a fight stick for the arcade fighters will do the job. It's just a shame the main offerings are fighters and shoot em ups. The console is like 70% a mix of those and then quirky stuff like Typing of The Dead and Seaman. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted May 15 Posted May 15 Dreamcast will always be up there with my favourite consoles as an arcade lover. Stuff like Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally, HOTD, Virtua Tennis etc and then the Internet stuff too. It positioned itself in a weird way and was always going to struggle at that time but it has some of my favourite gaming memories for sure. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted May 16 Paid Members Posted May 16 The Dreamcast pad is horrendous for playing fighting games. Crazy Taxi is amazing, especially the extra modes and the whole different map. Sega GT and Metropolis Street Racer are good, but Sega GT is made with a wheel and pedals in mind instead of a controller, so the handling of the cars is very sensitive MSR is good, and you can see the DNA of the later Project Gotham Racing in there. You'd never guess the developers were fans of DC comics, would you? Quote
Paid Members Scratch Posted May 16 Paid Members Posted May 16 (edited) Double post Edited May 16 by Scratch Quote
Paid Members Scratch Posted May 16 Paid Members Posted May 16 Dreamcast was the best console of all time. 4 controller ports built in, perfect arcade ports, and it looked the part. My very late teens were spent with 3 mates say cross legged on the floor playing 4-player NFL Blitz. Being able to arrange plays with your team mate in secret on the VMU was genuinely innovative and useful. More than 25-years later, someone will still randomly shout “his hat’s come off” in memory of someone German suplexing their opponent after the whistle went. When all the fun was over for the evening, everything got packed away inside the “Plopsy Box”, which was a large white cardboard catering-grade cooking oil box with the word “Plopsy” written on the side in felt tip. Throw Virtua Striker 2, Soul Calibre and Zomie’s Revenge into the mix, and there was no other home experience life it. Quote
Merzbow Posted May 19 Posted May 19 I've been replaying Duke Nukem 64, it was the first version I ever owned until I had a PC a few years later and didn't really know just how different the port was. Luckily I can now play it with mouse and keyboard, at a ultrawide resolution and good frame rate on PC but I'd definitely say give it a go if you like the original, there's so many new weapons that make it play very different including a grenade launcher which is so satisfying to use. Many levels are actually expanded rather than shrunk down which was the norm for ports on less capable hardware too. Even the Nintendo censorship doesn't detract, I could see some preferring it. I've got a port of the other N64 Duke game too, Zero Hour. Never played that one back in the day. Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted May 19 Posted May 19 My foolish need for a new gadget has put me in the mood to buy a Retroid Pocket. Now I’m trying to justify the cost by telling myself I can play Luigi’s Mansion on it. Does anyone here have one? Are they worth it? Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted May 19 Paid Members Posted May 19 Opened up Goldeneye on Switch 2 last night. Apparently I’d already attempted a run through some years ago on Switch 1, because I had a save that was up to Control on 00 agent. Tried playing it again with the onboard controller and it was basically impossible, so… Buy an N64 controller to USB adapter, or buy one of the wireless N64 controllers on switch store. Any thoughts/experience? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.