Merzbow Posted March 15 Posted March 15 Remember those dodgy R4 flashcarts for the DS? Recently there's been an open source cart based around the Raspberry Pi Pico called the DSpico, technically anyone can make one and the firmware for it but there's a surprisingly great build on AliExpress. I've had great luck with it so far, playing Tony Hawk's Proving Ground better than my old cart and zero issues with finicky games like Pokémon Black and White. I'd recommend buying a good brand name micro SD card instead of buying the cart with a SD included though. https://a.aliexpress.com/_EzQaUHA (I know this sounds like an ad but it's one of the best gaming purchases I've made in ages) Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted March 15 Paid Members Posted March 15 (edited) Is it plug and play? Or do we need to hack the DS? The comments explain that there is some cart configuration required. Looks to be an interesting item. Edited March 15 by BigJag Quote
Merzbow Posted March 15 Posted March 15 (edited) Plug and play, just add roms. You can update the firmware though, the QR code on the box tells you exactly how. Edited March 15 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 Bloke at work found one of his sons old consoles out and has gifted it to me. He's clueless about consoles/technology so had no idea what it was. Honestly from the way he was describing it I was expecting one of those old-school 'plug it into your TV and theres 500 games preloaded on there but they're all absolutely shit' jobs that were all the rage in the 90s. It only turns out its a PS2! Aka my favourite console ever. I sold my original Xbox a few months back as it was just collecting dust and regretted it immediately, and was looking at buying a PS1 again just for something I can have a quick blast on every now and again. As this plays PS1 games anyway it kills two birds with one stone. With this in mind, what would people recommend for lesser-known PS1/PS2 games? I'm open to most genres to be fair. I've recently rediscovered MoHo and Team Buddies on the PS1. Proper weird little gems that you used to get a load of back in the late 90s. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 (edited) I know the remastered version is out on pretty much everything nowadays, but the definitive way to experience Okami is on the PS2. Maybe it's more than a little nostalgia because of where my life was at that point, but that game was everything to me as I sat, penniless in my flat in Heaton Mersey. I escaped from my problems for so many hours while I played that game. I picked it up for a tenner in Asda, and it must have been a good few years later I played it, and I'm so glad I did. Edited March 17 by Jazzy G Quote
Merzbow Posted March 17 Posted March 17 I love this, no commentary at all just 40 minutes of ambient sounds as she plays ancient Japanese arcade machines. Sadly the Namco Final Lap is broken but I think I prefer seeing all the mechanics of the non-videogames, just proper old amusements. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted March 18 Paid Members Posted March 18 On 3/15/2026 at 10:24 AM, Merzbow said: Remember those dodgy R4 flashcarts for the DS? Recently there's been an open source cart based around the Raspberry Pi Pico called the DSpico, technically anyone can make one and the firmware for it but there's a surprisingly great build on AliExpress. I've had great luck with it so far, playing Tony Hawk's Proving Ground better than my old cart and zero issues with finicky games like Pokémon Black and White. I'd recommend buying a good brand name micro SD card instead of buying the cart with a SD included though. https://a.aliexpress.com/_EzQaUHA (I know this sounds like an ad but it's one of the best gaming purchases I've made in ages) Does this play 3DS games or just DS but works on 3DS consoles? Quote
Merzbow Posted March 18 Posted March 18 Just DS, but there's no need for a 3DS card as it's pretty simple to hack these days. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted March 18 Paid Members Posted March 18 Just now, Merzbow said: Just DS, but there's no need for a 3DS card as it's pretty simple to hack these days. Aye my 3DS is already hacked but my mate was asking about it to avoid the risk of potentially bricking his only 3DS. Quote
Merzbow Posted March 18 Posted March 18 7 minutes ago, FLips said: Aye my 3DS is already hacked but my mate was asking about it to avoid the risk of potentially bricking his only 3DS. That's fair, especially in how they're going up in price it'll be costly to get another. There were flashcarts for the 3DS but as they were made redundant they're hard to find now and weren't great in the first place. Quote
Tamura Posted March 19 Posted March 19 Currently playing Double Dragon, after getting the first three games in the series for 95p on Steam, which is considerably less than I spent playing this in arcades back in the day. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted March 19 Paid Members Posted March 19 @FLipsremember when I streamed it and ended up softlocking it partway through the fifth level for no apparent reason? I don't think I've played it since. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted March 28 Paid Members Posted March 28 There’s a full size Amiga A1200 coming out in June with all the bells and whistles and fucking hell I’ll have to get it won’t I. https://retrogames.biz/products/thea1200/ Quote
King Coconut Posted March 28 Posted March 28 I only knew one person with the 1200 and that was my best mate's brother, whose dad was a manager at Allied Carpets. Swanky prick. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted March 28 Paid Members Posted March 28 Looks like it could be a good piece of kit. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.