Paid Members FLips Posted April 22 Paid Members Posted April 22 I'm not as excited about this as I am The A1200, as I have very little experience with SNK or the NeoGeo other than playing a lot of the Gamecube version of SNK vs Capcom 2 growing up and playing so much Metal Slug on the arcade machine at my old work I could beat it with a £1 coin. That being said, as far as retro revival consoles look this looks to be the real deal. No emulation, it's basically a re-release of the actual console but with modern updates like HDMI and wireless controllers, but while still keeping the AV output and original cartridge compatibility. The arcade stick looks top quality, as does the build of the console itself. If they uphold all these promises it looks to be a mindblowing bit of kit for the retro enthusiast. The price point is harsh though. It's £179.99 which isn't too bad alone, but because it's not emulation it means you have to also buy the games, or source original cartridges which even before this were steep but I imagine are being jumped up in price as we speak in anticipation. Those games are full price too at £69.99. Even with 1:1 arcade replication and the highest of high quality machine, I can't justify paying seventy quid for Magician Lord and Metal Slug. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted April 23 Paid Members Posted April 23 It is tricky when they're all £6 odd though ACA Neo Gei and Arcade Archives. I say this until Sunsoft stick Waku Waku 7 out for it, then I'm buying one... Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted April 23 Paid Members Posted April 23 9 hours ago, FLips said: I'm not as excited about this as I am The A1200, as I have very little experience with SNK or the NeoGeo other than playing a lot of the Gamecube version of SNK vs Capcom 2 growing up and playing so much Metal Slug on the arcade machine at my old work I could beat it with a £1 coin. That being said, as far as retro revival consoles look this looks to be the real deal. No emulation, it's basically a re-release of the actual console but with modern updates like HDMI and wireless controllers, but while still keeping the AV output and original cartridge compatibility. The arcade stick looks top quality, as does the build of the console itself. If they uphold all these promises it looks to be a mindblowing bit of kit for the retro enthusiast. The price point is harsh though. It's £179.99 which isn't too bad alone, but because it's not emulation it means you have to also buy the games, or source original cartridges which even before this were steep but I imagine are being jumped up in price as we speak in anticipation. Those games are full price too at £69.99. Even with 1:1 arcade replication and the highest of high quality machine, I can't justify paying seventy quid for Magician Lord and Metal Slug. Huge Neo Geo fan as a teenager - I had a CD version - but the pricing is ridiculous when any PC or phone you like can emulate them perfectly. I didn't appreciate you still have to buy 35 year old games separately! They'll sell about 5 units. Quote
Merzbow Posted April 23 Posted April 23 The mystique of the Neo Geo isn't really there anymore is it? At this point we've all emulated or bought these once expensively forbidden classics elsewhere, I don't think the generations after us old farts care about it too much either. I feel like this isn't really meant to sell that many, it's a boutique console aimed towards a few die hards with cash to burn. I just hope for them they haven't skimped on the production of the joystick. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted April 23 Paid Members Posted April 23 I can't say I've played it, but mascot platformed were ten a penny back then. I don't recall it being anything special from reviews of the time. Quote
westlondonmist Posted April 23 Posted April 23 5 minutes ago, Ralphy said: I was reading an article a few days back about forgotten gems of Mega Drive games and stumbled upon an old favourite i indeed, forgot that i used to play and enjoyed "boogerman" anyone else recall this? Played it on the Evercade, until then never heard of it. It's alright, funny in parts but humour aimed at kids but probably too hard for most kids Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted April 23 Paid Members Posted April 23 I always thought Boogerman was pretty rubbish to be honest. Sega mascot games were a dime a dozen and I wouldn’t put it in the top half of that table. That being said, my wife gets a pop out of me every now and again by randomly adding “A pick and flick adventure” to the end of films or tv shows she mentions. Stupid but it makes me laugh. Quote
westlondonmist Posted April 23 Posted April 23 Wasn't just on Mega Drive, it did get a Super NES release later on. Yeah, whilst playable it is a dime a dozen game and plenty of better platformers over the generation. Quote
Merzbow Posted April 23 Posted April 23 Toejam and Earl's first game was pretty innovative and far from being a mascot platformer, less so the sequel which weirdly changed to be a generic game that no-one was asking for. There's a really good modern sequel on Switch and everything else though, adds a couple of new characters and follows the same style as the first with a lot of great humour too. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted April 23 Paid Members Posted April 23 Tazmania was dreadful, but for some reason I'd always rent it from my corner shop. Aladdin is a banger on Megadrive. One of the best platformers on it. Mind you I also managed to drag myself through the first Bubsy the Bobcat. Quote
Merzbow Posted April 24 Posted April 24 Both Aladdin's were great, I miss when we'd have very different versions by totally different developers on competing consoles. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted April 24 Paid Members Posted April 24 (edited) Lost code for an 'Allo 'Allo PC game from 1994 has been found, and released. https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2026/04/allo-allo-cartoon-fun/ You can go download it for free. Edited April 24 by Onyx2 Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted April 24 Paid Members Posted April 24 Ah, I saw a screenshot of that somewhere earlier in the week and assumed it was from b3ta or something. How delightful. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted April 25 Paid Members Posted April 25 Picked up Ghosts N Goblins and Bionic Commando on the NES today. Wasn't my plan but a trip for DVDs ended up in a CEX that had recently had a huge NES trade in. Another day and I'd have came away with a few more but I was quite conservative with it. Ghosts N Goblins is an interesting one because the cartridge says Ghost N Goblins so I checked to see if it was fake but apparently the typo is on all the PAL region copies. Had no idea. I beat the first stage on it pretty handily, moreso than the SNES counterparts or the Switch Resurrected version I have. Heard it was one of the hardest games ever made though and before any doubts crept in the 2nd stage kicked the shit out of me. I've never played original Bionic Commando but really enjoyed Re-Armed back on the Xbox 360 Arcade. It handles really smoothly for a NES game, but the constant swinging about and climbing means there's a lot of glitching and popping in on the ceiling and floor of the screen. Quote
Merzbow Posted April 29 Posted April 29 Sorry for the X link but damn, Morrowind on the PS Vita! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.