Jump to content

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Sounds ace, Jag. Astrobot on the PS4 VR is brilliant, and I had a lot of fun with Superhot VR too. If you can get Wipeout and Resident Evil 7 they have VR modes which are a bunch of fun too, as does No Man’s Sky.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, BigJag said:

Please offer your suggestions for VR or any of the other machines. 

Beat Sabre every day of the week. I’m fairly sure it’s on the PS VR (I have it on a Meta Quest) and it’s both a great workout and really fun.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is also tremendous, and turns VR into a multiplayer experience. Basically, the aim is to disarm a bomb but you’re both seeing different things. The headset wearer sees the bomb, the other person (or people) see an instruction manual on the screen. So the headset wearer has to describe that they see while the timer counts down and the other(s) desperately flick through the manual to find what matches their description.

It’s hilarious and slightly stressful in an Overcooked kinda way - definitely one of my favourite VR experiences.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Job Simulator looks fun to start with, but like it'd lose its novelty as it went on. 

Power Wash Simulator had/has a VR version on the way, doesn't it? 

  • Paid Members
Posted
10 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

Job Simulator looks fun to start with, but like it'd lose its novelty as it went on.

It does, but it’s a good starter point to show you (or guests) what VR can do and just generally get you used to VR. If you can get it cheap, it’s a nice novelty to have.

 

9 hours ago, BigJag said:

@FLips I have Wipeout will try and find a copy of Resident Evil 7.

@RedTwoster we have Beat Sabre and Ill look up the other games you suggested.

Why is there not a Lightsaber game on VR?

There’s Vader Immortal, although I didn’t really like it myself. 

Not a lightsaber game, but if you like Rick and Morty would r that style of humour, Trover Saves the Universe is good fun. Accounting Plus is too, although it’s a lot more limited/of an acquired taste.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Finally! Rave Racer not getting a console port back in the day was an odd choice, I know Rage Racer gets a lot of love but I hate how it went dark, gritty and took away most of the drifting.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Anybody here got a Kinhank X5 Pro? Videos say it plays PS2 (653 games), Gamecube (624) and Dreamcast (326 games) really well but I've got a lack of trust when it comes to youtube reviewers. They are about £350, which sounds a lot but 4tb of data and loads of games for the above 3 consoles. It also has a shit ton of wrestling games on all consoles up to Gamecube and then on PSP.

I played loads of consoles at the Science Museum and just realised how great this age of games actually was, they'd ironed out the kinks from the previous generation. 

Posted
3 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Anybody here got a Kinhank X5 Pro? Videos say it plays PS2 (653 games), Gamecube (624) and Dreamcast (326 games) really well but I've got a lack of trust when it comes to youtube reviewers. They are about £350, which sounds a lot but 4tb of data and loads of games for the above 3 consoles. It also has a shit ton of wrestling games on all consoles up to Gamecube and then on PSP.

I played loads of consoles at the Science Museum and just realised how great this age of games actually was, they'd ironed out the kinks from the previous generation. 

Instead of YouTube for reviews, it's better googling the make and then Reddit to see what people are saying. And there is a lot saying No for that thing.

I think when you start looking at spending a few hundred quid on something that is going to handle PS2/GameCube/PSP stuff, you are best off looking at a Steam Deck. It's going to give you a ton of things extra than just Retro too with Steam and all the PC games.

Posted
47 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Instead of YouTube for reviews, it's better googling the make and then Reddit to see what people are saying. And there is a lot saying No for that thing.

I think when you start looking at spending a few hundred quid on something that is going to handle PS2/GameCube/PSP stuff, you are best off looking at a Steam Deck. It's going to give you a ton of things extra than just Retro too with Steam and all the PC games.

I don't want to spend time setting up everything myself, searching for and downloading games. I just want something to plug and play, with button mapping and a few settings tweaks being all I have to do. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I don't want to spend time setting up everything myself, searching for and downloading games. I just want something to plug and play, with button mapping and a few settings tweaks being all I have to do. 

 

You would be buying a £300+ console from China with zero guarantees that the actual games you want to work, will work, and that thing has little control if they don't work to sort them out like a Steam Deck would.

There isn't really an everything works fine, we have loaded it up with 2000+ PS2, GameCube and Dreamcast games, you don't have to do anything, everything works fine fix. Unless you get extremely lucky.  Or you are buying it of a friend who has set it up for you. The sellers of the top brands of these things sell them with no roms.

There is a lot of guides on YouTube to get a steam deck or basic PC set up for emulators nowadays that are very little faff. I would advise spending that amount of money would be better spent that way. Rather than risking it on an eBay seller or a Chinese import guaranting that everything works fine.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob
  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I don't want to spend time setting up everything myself, searching for and downloading games. I just want something to plug and play, with button mapping and a few settings tweaks being all I have to do. 

Spot on from @Cousin Jim Bob - aside from anything else, it’s impossible to determine the quality of a machine like that - and at that price, you really want to know what you’re getting. 

I’d second the recommendation of a Steam Deck - it’s a very versatile machine and while it may not be plug-and-play all of the time, it’s very easy to tinker with, and even with the more complicated stuff, easy-to-follow YouTube tutorials exist. You can also get a dock for your Steam Deck if you want to play it on a television - and it works with a whole host of controllers if that’s something you want to do. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Morning. How much would a Steam Deck with docking station cost?

There are a number of answers to that based on the fact there are different models of the Steam Deck and first and third party docking stations, but here’s the docking station I have. It’s currently £27.99 on Amazon, reduced from its usual price of £39.99. You can also use it with the original Switch, although I don’t know whether or not it works with the Switch 2 as I’ve not tried it.

As for the Steam Deck, depending on the model you get, if you go new the cheapest version with an LCD screen and 256GB of storage is £349, with OLED versions with 512GB and 1TB coming in at £479 and £569 respectively (you can buy them here)

I had a look at CEX to see what they’re coming in at used, but you’re as well as to get a new one - CEX is selling them for more than it costs to buy new. There are deals to be found on eBay, however.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Would a Steam Deck be compatible with controllers from 8 Bit Do and other manufacturers? I guess a PS 4 controller may also be compatible.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...