Jump to content

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Streets Of Rage 2 is without a doubt one of the best videogames I've ever played. I'm reasonably sure I've said this before, but when I first moved to Manchester I had my Megadrive hooked up to the TV next to my bed and would have a play through it every morning when I woke up. They're all good games. If you've got the M2 Streets Of Rage collection  on 360 or PS3 stick the Japanese version of SOR3 on to get a glimpse at what it was before Sega of America got their paws on it, or if you emulate there are fan translated ROMs of Bare Knuckle 3. I may just grab my Switch and have a quick trot through it now as its been a while. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It's Streets Of Rage 2. Off the top of my head it's in the section of level 3 when you go into the arcade in the fun fair. I definitely didn't just sit for 10 minutes mentally playing through each stage in my head to remember which bit was in which level. It's an easter egg because Bare Knuckle is the Japanese name of the whole series. 

I've wishlisted the Fighting Force collection waiting for a discount because that was originally going to be Streets Of Rage 4. I used to stream them and just talk all kinds of nonsense. What a random channel my twitch channel was. Beat em ups, train sim world and then occasionally playing some Street Fighter 5 with @FLips. 

Edited by Jazzy G
  • Paid Members
Posted
On 2/20/2026 at 6:11 PM, FLips said:

Absolute con. They’ve got a service specifically for these games but they’ve decided they can make money off selling them instead with no upgrades or improvements. 

I don’t, in theory, have a problem with them being sold separately - Switch Online is tremendous value for what you get - but the price is pretty shocking given that there’s nothing extra. Even the ability to trade and battle online would have left me nodding my head and understanding why they did this.

Ultimately though, they know people will buy it, and I’m part of the problem because I know I’ll buy it. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I thought they'd maybe have been a tenner, like the Gen 1 and 2 ones were on 3DS. In fact I think they were £8.99 each. I think the angle they're going for is that there'll be Pokemon home/bank compatibility coming at some point so you'll be able to transfer whatever you catch in these games into your Switch Pokemon games, and that there's a lot of Kanto nostalgia kicking around. People are hoping for the announcment of Gen 5 remakes tomorrow (Black/White) as well as the Gen 10 announcement and whatever else is coming. Pokemon Day presentation is about 1pm over here so I'll either have to turn the sound off and hope the subtitles aren't the crappy autogenerated ones while I'm in my developmental psychology lecture or, and this is probably the most sensible option, wait until after college and watch it with Vicky round at hers after uni.

I did find a fun little browser based fan-made roguelike called Pokerogue. https://pokerogue.net/

  • Paid Members
Posted

The Pokemon Emerald rom hack Pokemon Lazarus is pretty tremendous - it takes the classic 2D formula and modernises it, and the resulting game is commercial quality. Dead easy to get running on a Steam Deck too.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I hear there are some fantastic Pokémon hacks. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

My youngest recently became obsessed with Mario 64. The only problem is, it’s quite a hard game at times, especially using the switch controls. When you chuck in her ASD/GDD and her propensity for ear-shattering meltdowns when she’s unable to complete or win at something, it was quite a trying time for all concerned.

I ended up doing a lot of it for her, including finally nailing the reverse long jump trick that gets you up the infinity stairs before reaching 70 stars. So once we defeated final bowser (with 51 stars!) she’s not played it again. Thank God. Although I did spend another hour after she’d gone to bed trying to do the triple jump off the wall to get to the castle roof without the cannon. Then I realised, fuck that. 

Posted
44 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Thats the thing about Retro gaming, unforgiving and much more difficult than most games today, no hand holding 

Someone told me that was because places like Blockbuster Video put pressure on game companies to make sure they were hard so they couldn't be completed in 1 rental. Don't know how true that is but it's certainly believable. 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

It's probably more likely a holdover from arcades; when a lot of older games were originally arcade ports, the gameplay is still built on the assumption that if you die you have to put in more money to get extra lives. So you need the balance of replayability and difficulty - hard enough that nobody beats it first time, but fun enough that they want to keep trying.

Even once "insert 50p to continue" wasn't a factor, that's still the background of a lot of game designers, and still the basic assumption of how games work. And if not to keep spending money, it's to at least pad out the length of the game - I got to a point where I can finish Sonic 1 in half an hour, so that's technically how long that game is, but it took hours and hours of previous gameplay to get to that point. 

A difficulty with getting kids playing retro games now, especially a 3D platformer like Mario 64, is that there's stuff we can accomodate for and understand, that renders the game practically unplayable if you're used to a subsequent 25 years of quality of life improvements around controls, precision jumping, camera control, and so on.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Someone told me that was because places like Blockbuster Video put pressure on game companies to make sure they were hard so they couldn't be completed in 1 rental. Don't know how true that is but it's certainly believable. 

 

Some of it was that. Make it too much to do in a single rental in the hope that people would then want to buy a copy, or keep renting it. 

Posted (edited)

It's why some American releases were far more difficult, like hell did Sega of America want you beating Streets of Rage 3 in one rental sitting.

IIRC game rentals were actually banned in Japan, part of a copyright law.

Edited by Merzbow
  • Paid Members
Posted
12 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Sega of America want you beating Streets of Rage 3 in one rental sitting.

They apparently also thought Axel's default palette looked gay, and Blaze wearing red was exist. Don't even get them started on Ash. 

What Sega of America did to that game is dreadful. 

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

This is so good, only played a few matches but it feels like a retail game with added mechanics that just fit perfectly. So many more things you can do with weapons, use them with top rope moves, even do full on Van Daminator/Terminators. It works on actual consoles, too.

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...