Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Winter Soldier is a great spy action film. I get what’s being said about all films being judged equally but just because a film is from the popular genre of the moment doesn’t mean there won’t be some genuinely well made films  amongst the dross ( and there is plenty of dross).Dont forget that Hollywood has always taken the easy route and churned out whatever is the most popular genre; literally thousands of western films in the 30 years they dominated the box office, but that led to people putting their own take on the genre and you end up with High Noon, Vera Cruz, Shane, Stagecoach or The Wildbunch. All different films lumped under the same banner.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, chokeout said:

I get what’s being said about all films being judged equally but just because a film is from the popular genre of the moment doesn’t mean there won’t be some genuinely well made films  amongst the dross ( and there is plenty of dross).

I agree.

I go along with what Hawke said because anyone who slams the cape films is fine by me. But he made his point rather clumsily. I think he was trying to express frustration with the fact that people go over the top in praising one of these films when they're actual good films and make them into something they're not. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I agree.

I go along with what Hawke said because anyone who slams the cape films is fine by me. But he made his point rather clumsily. I think he was trying to express frustration with the fact that people go over the top in praising one of these films when they're actual good films and make them into something they're not. 

Here's my trouble with that. Just because one film is praised in whatever genre it doesn't somehow diminish another film from another genre.

• Paid Members

It's the fact he picked on Logan, which is a genuinely brilliant and moving effort, despite it being a superhero film. He has a point in general terms, but picking on Logan, he just comes across as a snob.

There are a bunch of the Marvel efforts that, while fun, are a tad overrated. Black Panther, for example, getting all this Oscar/award talk is puzzling to me - if you are judging a film purely on what is on the screen.

I like Ethan Hawke, though. He's been in so many great films over the past 5/10 years. His performance in Born To Be Blue was annoyingly overlooked, so I can understand his frustration when Jackman turns up with metal hanging out his hands.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, DEF said:

Here's my trouble with that. Just because one film is praised in whatever genre it doesn't somehow diminish another film from another genre.

Not critically, no. But put yourself in his shoes. He's just starred in one of the most critically acclaimed American films of the decade yet no bugger has been able to go and see it, yet every other week there's another cape film in the multiplexes. I can understand his frustration, he just misjudged the way he made his point.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought it was cack, but each to their own.

Just out of curiosity Keith, what are your favourite superhero movies? Usually I'll find that Winter Soldier is in a solid top spot on most people's list, and you're aren't a fan of TDK either (well, neither is the rest of this forum) so if you fancy it, could you lay down your Top 5 or Top 10? 

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Just out of curiosity Keith, what are your favourite superhero movies? Usually I'll find that Winter Soldier is in a solid top spot on most people's list, and you're aren't a fan of TDK either (well, neither is the rest of this forum) so if you fancy it, could you lay down your Top 5 or Top 10? 

Superman, Superman 2, Superman 3.  Can't think of any others that stand out apart from an X Man film with Fassbender about his origins.  The Marvel ones seem to blend into one.  How come the X Men aren't in the latest Marvel ones, it is because they've already got their own franchise and like a Glinner tweet it would be 140 characters too many?

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut. And Dredd.

Oh yes, Dredd was good, I did enjoy that.  Nearly as good as the Stallone version but a decent tribute nonetheless ;)

1 minute ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Marvel sold the rights to make X-Men films to 20th century foxy ears ago. 

Ah right, thanks for the info.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Oh yes, Dredd was good, I did enjoy that. 

It was good because it stood up for itself and you didn't need any background knowledge to the characters and it was a really good actioner. Typical that it bombed, really.